Trading DVC into RCI - AFTER booking questions

lumpydj

Original Poster
We have points expiring this coming October 2017 (we had banked them so they are 2015 points). Since we had to use or rent them before October, we looked at our options for DVC. Based on my family's circumstances, our best option was to go this summer, but WDW is out of the question because we don't like the heat. This excluded VBR as well. We can not get into HHI for the weeks we have available to travel. We do want to take a trip before my DD is off to college (and don't have a lot to spend on flights), so we opted to trade into RCI. We did our homework and picked a resort in NH - so we are aware of what we will get - to an extent. We know that someone had to deposit their timeshare/week in order for us to get it. However, how/when do we find out what unit we will get?

The resort does not list WiFi as an amenity but these days - I have a hard time believing there is no WiFi. Should we talk to DVC or the resort itself to find out this information?

We used the online booking tool to make our trade. Will the system be smart enough to take our banked points first, or should we call DVC to make sure this happens?

Any input with experience with the AFTER booking of an RCI trade would be much appreciated! Thanks!

epcotisbest

We have points expiring this coming October 2017 (we had banked them so they are 2015 points). Since we had to use or rent them before October, we looked at our options for DVC. Based on my family's circumstances, our best option was to go this summer, but WDW is out of the question because we don't like the heat. This excluded VBR as well. We can not get into HHI for the weeks we have available to travel. We do want to take a trip before my DD is off to college (and don't have a lot to spend on flights), so we opted to trade into RCI. We did our homework and picked a resort in NH - so we are aware of what we will get - to an extent. We know that someone had to deposit their timeshare/week in order for us to get it. However, how/when do we find out what unit we will get?

The resort does not list WiFi as an amenity but these days - I have a hard time believing there is no WiFi. Should we talk to DVC or the resort itself to find out this information?

We used the online booking tool to make our trade. Will the system be smart enough to take our banked points first, or should we call DVC to make sure this happens?

Any input with experience with the AFTER booking of an RCI trade would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I am not really sure what you mean about after booking but will try to answer a few questions.
Depending on the resort, you may not have an assigned unit until you check in. It is common for RCI resorts to not assign specific unit numbers until you get there. Yes, someone deposited a week for you to use, but that does not really mean you get a specific unit. What will be specific is the unit size, for example one-bedroom, two-bedroom etc. Now, some resorts do assign specific unit numbers in advance, so you could call the place your are going directly and find out if that is important to you.
It is possible where you are going might not have wi-fi or might charge for wi-fi. We have made RCI trades where you can pay for wi-fi by the day or by the week or opt out because we like to get away from internet stuff while traveling. And to find out about what the resort offers, call where you are going direct, no need to call DVC about that. Find the number for where you are going and talk to someone there on the ground at the resort. Heck, we have made an RCI exchange to a place that did not have air conditioning, now that was surprising, but it was in the mountains where it turns out it was not necessary at all.
We have RCI weeks at a couple of different resorts and use RCI to make exchanges, but have never used DVC to trade for RCI, only RCI trades so I don't know about the banked points.
Oh, and you mentioned HHI. We have gone there twice, but both times in the winter. It is hard to get in the spring, summer and fall. Summer because of the beach and spring and fall for golf and glorious weather.
We went to Vermont a few years ago and I can tell you, the whole New England area is beautiful. If you get a chance to take a day trip, I highly recommend the Stowe area of Vermont. We stayed at Stowe and explored by car every day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The system should always use your banked points first. You can go to the dashboard area to see what points you have left.

lumpydj

Original Poster
I am not really sure what you mean about after booking but will try to answer a few questions.
Depending on the resort, you may not have an assigned unit until you check in. It is common for RCI resorts to not assign specific unit numbers until you get there. Yes, someone deposited a week for you to use, but that does not really mean you get a specific unit. What will be specific is the unit size, for example one-bedroom, two-bedroom etc. Now, some resorts do assign specific unit numbers in advance, so you could call the place your are going directly and find out if that is important to you.
It is possible where you are going might not have wi-fi or might charge for wi-fi. We have made RCI trades where you can pay for wi-fi by the day or by the week or opt out because we like to get away from internet stuff while traveling. And to find out about what the resort offers, call where you are going direct, no need to call DVC about that. Find the number for where you are going and talk to someone there on the ground at the resort. Heck, we have made an RCI exchange to a place that did not have air conditioning, now that was surprising, but it was in the mountains where it turns out it was not necessary at all.
We have RCI weeks at a couple of different resorts and use RCI to make exchanges, but have never used DVC to trade for RCI, only RCI trades so I don't know about the banked points.
Oh, and you mentioned HHI. We have gone there twice, but both times in the winter. It is hard to get in the spring, summer and fall. Summer because of the beach and spring and fall for golf and glorious weather.
We went to Vermont a few years ago and I can tell you, the whole New England area is beautiful. If you get a chance to take a day trip, I highly recommend the Stowe area of Vermont. We stayed at Stowe and explored by car every day.

Thank you for the response. "After booking" means that I have done the exchange already and it's confirmed. The resort we booked at has 4 different types of 2 bedroom units - I was mainly curious what design and location we would get, so I can set expectations for the rest of the group. Sounds like we should make a call to the resort. Also, I found info that free WiFi is included in most 2 BR units. :cool:

We are from New England so we are familiar with the area. We love VT but the Stowe resort was not available for the size room we wanted and the week we needed. We'll be going to the North Conway area (not right in North Conway so we'll be out of the traffic), and there's plenty to do. We were just there last month (Dec) but stayed at a condo booked through VRBO.

The system should always use your banked points first. You can go to the dashboard area to see what points you have left.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, my dashboard has not been updated yet and the points have not been removed yet. :eek:

epcotisbest

Hope it is a good trip. We have only been there once, but hope to go back some day. One of the favorite things we did was buy a guidebook to local covered bridges then drove around seeking them out. We put a lot of miles on the rental car that day and wound up taking photos of more than 20 covered bridges in one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom