Disney Hong Kong to get Iron Man Ride...

BrianLo

This thread is interesting to quickly jump back in time and read through.

It's a 'quick' E-ticket, that's simultaneously relatively cheap, but looks fairly well executed to fit the World's Fair-ish tomorrowland theme. It won't drown the resort that's still bubbling along with difficulties in more debt and is actually a fairly unique offering to the resort's line up. It doesn't have a single Simulator or screen predominant ride, for now at least.

It's definitely not a flag-ship attraction to drag people across the Pacific, but between Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch HKDL is doing a heck of a lot better than pretty much every other Disney park this decade.

The more concerning thing is what comes next. I'm worried the momentum is dropping off. Something semi-substantive needs to finish out the decade. Even if that's *just* TSMM.

The other mind-boggling fact, this is only the third attraction in the entire park to have Fast Pass. It really is the simplest Dis park out there today.

DDLand

This thread is interesting to quickly jump back in time and read through.

It's a 'quick' E-ticket, that's simultaneously relatively cheap, but looks fairly well executed to fit the World's Fair-ish tomorrowland theme. It won't drown the resort that's still bubbling along with difficulties in more debt and is actually a fairly unique offering to the resort's line up. It doesn't have a single Simulator or screen predominant ride, for now at least.

It's definitely not a flag-ship attraction to drag people across the Pacific, but between Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch HKDL is doing a heck of a lot better than pretty much every other Disney park this decade.

The more concerning thing is what comes next. I'm worried the momentum is dropping off. Something semi-substantive needs to finish out the decade. Even if that's *just* TSMM.

The other mind-boggling fact, this is only the third attraction in the entire park to have Fast Pass. It really is the simplest Dis park out there today.
The quiet is telling.

I'm still hoping that something may happen politically that could lead them to start on phase 2, but I'm not holding my breath. Spirit's take seems to match the lack of news from Hong Kong, and the accelerated plans of Shanghai.

With the second park temporarily cancelled, I wonder if they can turn their attention inward on the existing property. The Walt Disney Company may not be able to finance a multibillion dollar new park along with Shanghai work, but perhaps a substantial E-Ticket/E-Ticket+ or some new dark rides could be pursued. Hong Kong was obviously ready to sink billions into infrastructure and attraction development. Some of their money has still got to be on the table.

TSMM has the advantage of already being designed and ready for implementation in a land that was built with its placement in mind. It's a proven favorite that may not be the most beloved by everyone on these boards (including myself-fun but not anywhere near the lines it receives) but has widespread appeal. The thing that makes me wonder if they'll do it is Shanghai adding Toy Story Land. While Shanghai doesn't look like it's going to have TSMM, it still does create a sense of Hong Kong lacking originality. If they behave anyway like they have recently, they'll want originality.

Though I agree it feels like something needs to be done. I'm excited to check it out in 2ish months.

Phroobar

Boy does that suck. It looks like a Star Tours downgrade. It doesn't even have multiple scenes. The voice isn't RDJ but sounds like the one on the cartoon series. The whole thing looks like it is from the cartoon. Bad CG. It feels really cheap. I hope Disneyland never gets this.

Bacon

Boy does that suck. It looks like a Star Tours downgrade. It doesn't even have multiple scenes. The voice isn't RDJ but sounds like the one on the cartoon series. The whole thing looks like it is from the cartoon. Bad CG. It feels really cheap. I hope Disneyland never gets this.
I don't understand why the old castle is there...

Jones14

Any word on how crowds have been in response to opening? It's only been a week, but I'm wondering if there's been a noticeable impact on attendance, spending, etc.

DDLand

Any word on how crowds have been in response to opening? It's only been a week, but I'm wondering if there's been a noticeable impact on attendance, spending, etc.
A little early. Expect some update next month when Hong Kong Disneyland gives its annual report. We won't get any attendance, but they may give an indication of any spike.

PiratesMansion

Watched a video of it and man does it look awful. The visuals are somewhere between a PS1 and an N64 game. This is the debut of Marvel in Disney Parks?!?!? I'm a bit dumbfounded.

DDLand

Watched a video of it and man does it look awful. The visuals are somewhere between a PS1 and an N64 game. This is the debut of Marvel in Disney Parks?!?!? I'm a bit dumbfounded.
I wouldn't be too quick to judge. Having ridden it, I came away impressed. Here's a review I wrote about it.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ave-lots-to-fear.921460/page-215#post-7536534

There's an explanation for why it looks bad and how the visuals are one of its strongest aspects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom