Can you refuse "Magic Bands" ?

Florida_is_hot

Original Poster
The cards Disney gives you seem to work fine with "Fast Pass", "Park Entry".
Will they work for purchases and opening room doors?

I do not like Magic Bands

RoysCabin

The last time I went was summer of 2015, and my girlfriend and I booked the trip on very short notice. So, there was no time to send Magic Bands to us. We got down to Orlando, checked into the Dolphin, then walked up to the International Gateway at EPCOT and each got a card to get in and out, use Fast Pass (along with the app), etc. No problems whatsoever.

COProgressFan

I've used the Magic Bands and they are a bit cumbersome and uncomfortable, IMO. My kids thought they were fun to wear but I was dreading the moment they would lose them (fortunately, they never did - they were dropped a few times, but we were able to retrieve them). I don't find it much easier than just using a standard KTTW card, as was done for decades prior. Also, two members of our group had to have their bands reset at the front desk, though to be fair, this has happened to us with the old magnetic strip cards too, both at Disney and non-Disney resorts.

When the bands were first out, front desk CMs really pushed them hard, and there were some instances where they incorrectly indicated to guests that they were required. Now that the rollout period has been over for a few years now, they will just give you a card (or both) if you ask.

Figment82

Are people not allowed to just not like them without having everyone accuse of them of suspecting conspiracy theories? I have enough of the darn things to make a garland for the Christmas tree and I can't stand wearing them. I have child-sized wrists and even with the outer band removed, they just aren't comfortable to me. The new style is even worse. And I'm not some tin foil hat-wearing crazy!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Are people not allowed to just not like them without having everyone accuse of them of suspecting conspiracy theories? I have enough of the darn things to make a garland for the Christmas tree and I can't stand wearing them. I have child-sized wrists and even with the outer band removed, they just aren't comfortable to me. The new style is even worse. And I'm not some tin foil hat-wearing crazy!
I have no problem, as I have stated, if you don't like how they feel, or they don't fit well. At least with the newer puck style, you can just throw it in a pocket or purse. And I haven't accused anyone of conspiracy theories. I have asked why the OP doesn't like them, and have yet to see an answer. I was curious.

Florida_is_hot

Original Poster
My opinion and I used them.
I find "Magic Bands" dorky looking, and uncomfortable.
Tracking do not care, Google tracks me much more extensively than Disney

Kamikaze

Actually, I was waiting for the OP to respond. :D And it has been hashed and rehashed, and it is still true that anyone who thinks that Disney is trying to track them with the MB is just being foolish. With literally hundreds of reads all across property and literally millions of entries in a database every single day, there is no way that cheapo Disney is going to pay thousands of dollars to find one single persons trek out of the millions of entries. Ain't gonna happen.

If the OP has used them and is uncomfortable with wearing it, hey, that's fine, and I have no problems with that at all. But since the OP didn't seem to know the capabilities, I was curious about the no like reason.

They aren't tracking one particular person, no, but they are most certainly taking that data from those tens of thousands of scans to tell them what they should be doing - good or bad.

If they wanted to track what one guest did, they absolutely can. But there really isn't a reason to - the value of the data is in the big numbers, not the small ones.

cindy_k

My opinion and I used them.
I find "Magic Bands" dorky looking, and uncomfortable.
Tracking do not care, Google tracks me much more extensively than Disney
You will be very happy with the new version then.
They are now a puck (disc) in a band. The Disc can be removed and put in other things like lanyard or keychain holders.
vjhdbf9342.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ickeepers-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

Kman101

I prefer the magic band. It wasn't uncomfortable for me. I had zero issues with the tapstiles. I'm lucky I suppose in that it worked as it should have and wasn't uncomfortable at all on my wrist but clearly they've caused issues for some. I personally find it much more convenient than pulling out a card and I know I have the card as a backup. I don't know, I get why some don't like them, but a lot of it seems to be the card is just what you may be used to. I haven't had to experience opening a hotel door with them, so I can understand getting frustrated but I've had key card trouble before, so ...

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
As if this still doesn't look dorky
You do know that you're in a theme park with thousands of other people wearing the same thing that couldn't care less. You're not walking down Broadway in NY City with a MB on. Maybe people just need to lighten up a bit and enjoy themselves. Oh wait. We can't because we are busy looking for all the dirt and garbage and peeling paint and burnt out light bulbs and worried about what other people think about us if we wear a magic band. Geesh.

gatordoc

The first time I used a MagicBand, the skin on my wrist broke out within about 10-15 minutes. And that wasn't even on a hot sweaty day. I've used cards ever since. No problem just carrying it in my wallet, and they've always worked fine. Might try the disc if it's easy to attach to my keyring.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The first time I used a MagicBand, the skin on my wrist broke out within about 10-15 minutes. And that wasn't even on a hot sweaty day. I've used cards ever since. No problem just carrying it in my wallet, and they've always worked fine. Might try the disc if it's easy to attach to my keyring.
I think a lot of people had similar issues, so it was nice to see that they now have a puck style that you can slip into a pocket, or add to a keyring.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I believe the only thing that cannot be done with the card is the automatic connection of on-ride photos or video to your MDX account. An example of that is the on-ride video for SDMT. The long range BluetoothLE is used for those services and if you only have the card with you that will not work. I never use the band, only my AP card and that is absolutely the only thing that doesn't work.

In my case, I have no specific aversion to the band at all. It's just that I know I'm absent minded enough that I would always forget the MagicBand in the car or at home and just don't want to deal with that. With the card, I just always have it in my wallet and never need to remember. Also, as a local I can't use the band for payments and as a result want to use my Apple Watch for that and don't want to have multiple bands on my arm at once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom