Water Park Fun and More Leaving

GymLeaderPhil

Original Poster
If you want this option on your tickets, I strongly recommend purchasing, upgrading, or modifying as it looks like it will be departing very soon with no replacement.

Personal opinion: Reading into it further, this may be the slow build up towards the closure of DisneyQuest and/or ground work towards implementing the seasonal pricing on multi day tickets. It could also signal a complete restructuring of the 12 year old Magic Your Way scheme since the focus is now not so much on additional days, but additional days being spent outside of Magic Kingdom as much as possible.

worldfanatic

I've noticed how they've been clearly moving away from promoting this ticket add-on for a while now.
I agree with "Phil" that this option will disappear soon.
I also agree with him & "Bus" that new ticketing options (probably including the H2O Parks) are likely on the way.

Lets Respect

Maybe something to do with the new TL ride. Universal is limiting the new waterpark access as well, although that makes a bit more sense as it's a whole new park

PREMiERdrum

I'm wondering if the move will be to a more modularly structured model:
-Choose your number of Magic Kingdom days
-Choose your number of "other" theme park days
-Choose your number of Water Park days

I don't love it, but this allows them to control and further monetize the idea that a day at MK has higher value at the rest.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I don't love it, but this allows them to control and further monetize the idea that a day at MK has higher value at the rest.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post. First, you'll select the number of days on your pass. Then, you'll select a certain number of days in Magic Kingdom (I'm expecting this to be limited, something like one or two MK days for every 4 days on your pass), and then you'll select your "MAGICAL extras!!!".

If they move in that direction, I think the Park Hopper option is going to get *really* expensive. I also expect whatever ticketing changes are coming to be implemented right around the beginning of February, which is when WDW has been raising ticket prices in recent years. It'll be one of those times when we're going to need the good-with-numbers people to run the numbers and scenarios and give us the real info on whatever happens.

21stamps

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the original post. First, you'll select the number of days on your pass. Then, you'll select a certain number of days in Magic Kingdom (I'm expecting this to be limited, something like one or two MK days for every 4 days on your pass), and then you'll select your "MAGICAL extras!!!".

If they move in that direction, I think the Park Hopper option is going to get *really* expensive. I also expect whatever ticketing changes are coming to be implemented right around the beginning of February, which is when WDW has been raising ticket prices in recent years. It'll be one of those times when we're going to need the good-with-numbers people to run the numbers and scenarios and give us the real info on whatever happens.

What leads you to that belief?

I hope it doesn't happen, but I can't see it happening either. It would be a big mistake on Disney's part.. in my opinion.

SorcererMC

I also expect whatever ticketing changes are coming to be implemented right around the beginning of February, which is when WDW has been raising ticket prices in recent years.

I think you are spot on with that - if they are doing a complete overhaul on ticket structure, it's best for them to do it in sufficient advance of Pandora and SWL...and they could still bump prices when they do open without much fallout.

ETA: Also, UO had some sort of ticket deal for Volcano Bay so I could see Disney changing their water park tickets in response to that aka their tit-for-tat pricing.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

What leads you to that belief?

I hope it doesn't happen, but I can't see it happening either. It would be a big mistake on Disney's part.. in my opinion.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm guessing that more families are opting for split WDW-UO vacations, and that Disney needs to address that issue. When they first introduced MYW (in 1997?) it was to encourage families to stay on property for the entire week, but I think that those vacations habits have changed since then (for a number of reasons). So if they anticipate losing market share due to competition (UO opening Volcano Bay while Disney isn't opening something new) and they want to profit max, they need to adjust eg charging more for shorter stays or 'front-loading' 3-4 day stays.

Last edited:

21stamps

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm guessing that more families are opting for split WDW-UO vacations, and that Disney needs to address that issue. When they first introduced MYW (in 1997? @flynnibus) it was to encourage families to stay on property for the entire week, but I think that those vacations habits have changed since then (for a number of reasons). So if they anticipate losing market share due to competition (UO opening Volcano Bay while Disney isn't opening something new) and they want to profit max, they need to adjust eg charging more for shorter stays or 'front-loading' 3-4 day stays.

I can't address most of that right now, but as for the tickets-
Isn't that how it is currently? Especially since the last price increase?

SorcererMC

I can't address most of that right now, but as for the tickets-
Isn't that how it is currently? Especially since the last price increase?
Yes I think so but I'd have to check WDW or UO which I haven't looked at for about a month. But I would expect them to move towards more a la carte pricing like what was said already.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'm guessing that more families are opting for split WDW-UO vacations, and that Disney needs to address that issue. When they first introduced MYW (in 1997? @flynnibus) it was to encourage families to stay on property for the entire week, but I think that those vacations habits have changed since then (for a number of reasons). So if they anticipate losing market share due to competition (UO opening Volcano Bay while Disney isn't opening something new) and they want to profit max, they need to adjust eg charging more for shorter stays or 'front-loading' 3-4 day stays.

How would that work better than what they have now? Right now you pay heavy on the first 3-4 days and after that the price doesn't go up by very much. I can spend $150-200 for a couple days at Uni or get 3 more Disney days for 40 bucks? (I know those numbers might be off a bit). Honestly, I always assumed that A. They never had trouble selling out the water parks, or B Just didn't care about them. I think a decent number of guests don't even realize they are there until they drive by the sign or watch resort TV. Even the bus advertisements are generic and do nothing more than say "hey these things exist".

SorcererMC

How would that work better than what they have now? Right now you pay heavy on the first 3-4 days and after that the price doesn't go up by very much. I can spend $150-200 for a couple days at Uni or get 3 more Disney days for 40 bucks? (I know those numbers might be off a bit). Honestly, I always assumed that A. They never had trouble selling out the water parks, or B Just didn't care about them. I think a decent number of guests don't even realize they are there until they drive by the sign or watch resort TV. Even the bus advertisements are generic and do nothing more than say "hey these things exist".
I would agree with you that they don't advertise the water parks well, and I think they sell out because they are add-on tickets for families staying for about a week. My assumption is that they are losing longer-stay guests because families are splitting their stays between WDW and UO...and that they are seeing increasing volume of 1-2-3 days....and that trend will continue with the opening of Volcano Bay, and as families opt for staying at UO for longer and going over to WDW for 1 or 2 days. They might not have cared about the water parks before but now they have competition to consider (the market context has changed or is changing, they want to capture the most dollars for the change in volume at each ticketing level; reduction in volume --> increasing price to maintain or increase revenue.).
(I'm looking at the history of their ticket options - and the emphasis has been on 4-5-6 day passes. I'd have to look at the MYW matrix before I could say more about it).

Last edited:

21stamps

I would agree with you that they don't advertise the water parks well, and I think they sell out because they are add-on tickets for families staying for about a week. My assumption is that they are losing longer-stay guests because families are splitting their stays between WDW and UO...and that they are seeing increasing volume of 1-2-3 days....and that trend will continue with the opening of Volcano Bay, and as families opt for staying at UO for longer and going over to WDW for 1 or 2 days. They might not have cared about the water parks before but now they have competition to consider (the market context has changed or is changing, they want to capture the most dollars for the change in volume at each ticketing level; reduction in volume --> increasing price to maintain or increase revenue.).
(I'm looking at the history of their ticket options - and the emphasis has been on 4-5-6 day passes. I'd have to look at the MYW matrix before I could say more about it).

I can't imagine that Volcano Bay is going to put a big dent in week long WDW vacationers. Maybe a few, but it's a tough sell to get me to believe it would be large enough to have a large impact.

I don't do the water parks at Disney.. I know that they exist, I'm just not extremely interested..the hotel pool and slide is fine for me. Volcano Bay is something that we would probably do once..while visiting Universal..not a special trip from WDW which has 4 theme parks. Of course that's just my reasoning, I realize there are people who may differ..I still think it's a low percentage of travelers.

From what I've always heard though, the waterparks are always busy during the warm/hot months..so I just wonder why all of the sudden people think that may change.
Most of all though, I don't understand the forced "choose specific MK day" statements.

I don't think 5 or more days has been the emphasis, I think it's a way to get people to stay longer..and especially to stay at one of the resorts longer...but I don't think they are the majority of tickets sold. Universal does the same though, just quicker. The difference between a 1 and 3 day park to park ticket is $155 single day $254 3 day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom