Disneyland Half Marathon

FerretAfros

Traffic getting to the race itself isn't too bad, but leaving the parking structure after can be a nightmare. The race wraps up during the peak hour for day guests arriving at the park, so they direct exiting traffic out the back, and it's not unusual for it to take over an hour just to leave the garage. If you are a slower runner and/or hang out for a while at the finish and DTD, you may be able to avoid the worst of it

If at all possible, I'd recommend staying somewhere nearby. The ART buses run before the races, and runners get free transportation passes for the weekend when they show their bib. There are a wide variety of hotels near ART stops at a range of price points, so hopefully you can find something reasonable. Many of them are also close enough that you can just walk directly to/from the race

Be aware that the ART buses also get tied up in traffic after the race. The DL1/2 course is the most impactful on traffic, as Harbor Blvd remains closed until around 11:00, causing gridlock on the east side of the resort and forcing all park guests to park in the parking garage. Runners love to talk about how convenient the DLR races are due to the number of nearby hotels, but the post-race traffic and logistics are far worse than the WDW counterparts IMO

Seminole09

Traffic getting to the race itself isn't too bad, but leaving the parking structure after can be a nightmare. The race wraps up during the peak hour for day guests arriving at the park, so they direct exiting traffic out the back, and it's not unusual for it to take over an hour just to leave the garage. If you are a slower runner and/or hang out for a while at the finish and DTD, you may be able to avoid the worst of it

If at all possible, I'd recommend staying somewhere nearby. The ART buses run before the races, and runners get free transportation passes for the weekend when they show their bib. There are a wide variety of hotels near ART stops at a range of price points, so hopefully you can find something reasonable. Many of them are also close enough that you can just walk directly to/from the race

Be aware that the ART buses also get tied up in traffic after the race. The DL1/2 course is the most impactful on traffic, as Harbor Blvd remains closed until around 11:00, causing gridlock on the east side of the resort and forcing all park guests to park in the parking garage. Runners love to talk about how convenient the DLR races are due to the number of nearby hotels, but the post-race traffic and logistics are far worse than the WDW counterparts IMO
Thank you for your advice! I found a decent rate at the Sheraton Park Hotel, which I believe is walking distance to the resort. So we'll try that. Thanks again :)

surfsupdon

I am staying at a hotel right across the street on Harbor. If I will be able to walk to the parks, I can walk to the start line as well. Correct? I was under the impression that I could.

FerretAfros

I am staying at a hotel right across the street on Harbor. If I will be able to walk to the parks, I can walk to the start line as well. Correct? I was under the impression that I could.
Yes, you won't have any trouble with that. I don't remember whether or not they have security up checking bags at that hour (I think they do, removing the need for a bag check near the start area), but you can definitely walk through there.

All the ART buses drop off on the Harbor Blvd side and route everybody past the parks and through DTD, so you'll be in good company in the early morning

Texas84

What does ART stand for? Are they free? Anaheim Rail......? Lol

Anaheim Resort Transportation.

When I walked in from Harbor for Star Wars there was no bag check at the park entrance in the AM but there was after, obviously, since the parks were close to opening. It was a pain. Body temp was dropping and I was freezing.

Mad Stitch

CnqSsX3WAAQc0H6.jpg

surfsupdon

Oh my it is getting closer and I cannot wait to compete. In week 12 of my training, and California here I come, right back where we started from! OC theme lol

Greenlawler

I love the 5k medal! I want one! But I am only Dumbo :(

-EDIT-

Just got in the 5K my travel agent is awesome!

Last edited:

dreamfinder

So in what may be a first in recent memory, none of the events for DLR half marathon weekend sold out on opening day. No idea if the change in dates caught alot of people by surprise, or if this really means demand has slowed down, but it's surprising to see.

surfsupdon

So in what may be a first in recent memory, none of the events for DLR half marathon weekend sold out on opening day. No idea if the change in dates caught alot of people by surprise, or if this really means demand has slowed down, but it's surprising to see.
I thought the same thing. 10Ks for every race weekend have sold out race day, sometimes within hours, for every race weekend recently. I checked yesterday.....nothing was even "on hold" the times that I looked. I know I would like to try to run, but I cannot blindly sign up for a nonrefundable race on the other coast while most airfare is not even available yet to see, let alone book.

kevlightyear

I know I would like to try to run, but I cannot blindly sign up for a nonrefundable race on the other coast while most airfare is not even available yet to see, let alone book.

Exactly this. The new Coast to Coast medal is enticing, and the renaming of the Dumbo Double Dare to Disneyland Double Dare is intriguing, but I'm on the fence. It's just too far away.

dreamfinder

They changed the name? Wonder why?

I know they got complaints every year from people who assumed Dumbo would be on the course.

Probably because there are so many 10k+1/2 challenges now. Back before Dopey became official, people who did Goofy+5k either called it the Dopey or the Dumbo. Then they made Dopey official, and then added the Dumbo challenge. But now that there are what, 7 of them? it's not so Dumbo anymore. Almost run of the mill at this point. It also liberates them thematically. They can now retheme the DLR weekend to whatever they want, and change it each year. Kinda like how the Princess weekend usually focuses on a single Princess and changes as they want.

surfsupdon

It'd be cool to get some unique distances and unique challenges. Maybe have a 13K morning and a 13mile night race (same day) to bring back the Tower....and have a cool challenge associated with doing 2 on the same day.

Other races can modify and alter challenges as well.

kevlightyear

The first time I did Dumbo, I ran the 5K as well. It was a mini-Dopey for me at the time. I think that would have been a good solution for Disneyland if they wanted changes. They can keep the Disneyland Double Dare Challenge, but add Dumbo as a 5K + 10K + Half.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom