Registration dates for this years races have been moved way up

Greenlawler

Original Poster
So apparently the signups for all Disney races are getting moved.

The DL half races are now beginning registration next week!
As opposed to January in years past.

Wine and Dine is early January.
WDW Marathon Weekend will have signups in February!

I understand the reasoning I just hate it for my Christmas bank recovery time.

Seriously this puts more pressure on those of us trying to get into the challenges. So I am doing this Christmas thing, all the while about to leave for the WDW marathon, then I get back only to be hit by the chunk of registration for Wine and Dine (which we were planning on doing this year). On top of that it's only another month or so before the WDW signups begin? Ouch.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Furthermore, AP & DVC registration has been moved to the Thursday before general registration (formerly Wednesday), which means that DL1/2 early registration opens today at noon eastern

Have your credit cards ready, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Edit: Here's the latest schedule from runDisney, with general registration dates in the fine print
Cx4NOgIUoAAtXL8.jpg

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Talked to someone close to runDisney yesterday, this is a kneejerk reaction to registrations being down.

Maybe they should consider that they are pricing people out?
Ask and you shall receive:
DL1-2 2017.jpg

When registration opened today, I was surprised to see that both the Half and Dumbo are $20 less than they were for 2016; the other prices remain the same. It's still crazy expensive, but it seems like they're getting the hint that the nationwide running boom is leveling off and their prices are just too much for their product

lukacseven

Back in the early 2000's, I remember registration opening the Monday following the marathon. Of course that was before the challenge races and the 5K was on Saturday after the half.

Simba's Mom

Talked to someone close to runDisney yesterday, this is a kneejerk reaction to registrations being down.

Registrations being down? I tried to find information about that, but I guess I didn't google too well! I don't know how the registration #s for the races Marathon weekend compare to last year. Can someone enlighten me or supply me with a link? Thanks! And I appreciate the info about registration for next year.

dreamfinder

Registrations being down? I tried to find information about that, but I guess I didn't google too well! I don't know how the registration #s for the races Marathon weekend compare to last year. Can someone enlighten me or supply me with a link? Thanks! And I appreciate the info about registration for next year.

Just check the tracker in this forum.
For Marathon weekend in Jan, 2014 sold out by 8/1, 2015 sold out by 10/1, 2016 by 11/5 (and those dates were just for one or two events, most sold out in a week or so after opening). This year, we are less than a month from the race and the only events that are sold out are the 5k and 10k. Everything else still currently has availability.
For 2017 races, the only one fully sold out is the Princess, everything else currently has events open.

Comparing one year to the next is hard to do. They keep trying to cram more runners in an event, so one year might have had 12,000 slots, the next might have 12,500 slots. So if 12,000 sold out, but 12,500 didn't, 12,000 might have been the upper limit the event would attract, or demand might be down overall and they wouldn't have sold the same 12,000. runDisney likes to announce total runners for the event weekend, which tends to be inflated due to them counting challenge runners multiple times. Working off results can give some picture, but those just show total finishers. So say an event had 15,000 slots, but didn't sell out. If they only post 13,500 times, we have no way of knowing if 1,499 people registered but didn't finish/start, or if 1 person didn't finish/start. In reality it is somewhere in between those two extremes.

runDisney wants to hit the sweet spot of being able to sell out events, while not keeping too many people from being able to register. This year they seem to being having problems doing this. Might be over saturation of events, might be prices finally being too high, or might just be a downward swing in overall running trends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom