PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

RSoxNo1

We ate here yesterday. The place is nice. It feels like an accurate depiction of a NY style pizzeria. There are some subtle Muppets touches, but it is definitely not in the same vein as Muppetvision 3D. I wish there was a little more in the way of props, especially upstairs, which has the space for them. The downstairs area feels like a nice hole in the wall restaurant, but the upstairs is so vast that it felt somewhat cavernous because of how few people were up there when we were eating. The balcony has a nice-ish view of he construction and the great views of the courtyard itself. The pizza was good; we liked the sauce, and the meatballs were surprisingly tasty. We much preferred this pizza to the flatbreads we had the last time we were at Village Haus, and we left feeling more full than we usually do at quick service places. Definitely a major step up from Pizza Planet, but not a home run, either.
I think you're in the minority for preferring the PIzza Planet pizza over the flat breads. If you can't make a pizza well, make it flatter.

Jon81uk

I think you're in the minority for preferring the PIzza Planet pizza over the flat breads. If you can't make a pizza well, make it flatter.

Often yes thinner is better, Via Napoli and Blaze both have good thin crust. But the pre-made retangular flatbreads base that Disney use is not pizza, it's more like a cracker and just doesn't satisfy in the same way that proper dough does.

Rinx

The Holidays and great Antipasto belong together. This needs to become a tradition if it isn't already.

Been a tradition in my family for Thanksgiving for many years! Hopefully it doesn't become the next Taco Salad and disappear suddenly....

RSoxNo1

Often yes thinner is better, Via Napoli and Blaze both have good thin crust. But the pre-made retangular flatbreads base that Disney use is not pizza, it's more like a cracker and just doesn't satisfy in the same way that proper dough does.
It's definitely a harder crust, but this circlular pizza has been regarded as worse by the masses. Doesn't make your personal opinion incorrect, you're just a dissenting voice on preference. Neither one is earth shattering, but for me personally I'd take the flatbreads every time.

Goofyernmost

It's definitely a harder crust, but this circlular pizza has been regarded as worse by the masses. Doesn't make your personal opinion incorrect, you're just a dissenting voice on preference. Neither one is earth shattering, but for me personally I'd take the flatbreads every time.
You're sure the "masses" regard it as the worse? The masses would imply mostly everyone, so that might be a bit misleading. Unless, of course, you consider yourself the "masses". Don't you think if the masses felt that way that Disney, which we all know by now, is only out to make money, would have dropped it like a hot potato. They don't make money on things they cannot sell, according to you they can't even give it away. I'm guessing is isn't near as bad as the picture that is being painted. But, you apparently prefer the flat-breads and that is why both are available depending on which location you decide to go to and what you like best. You can like things without having to convince others that they are missing out on something that you have found to be nirvana.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

You're sure the "masses" regard it as the worse? The masses would imply mostly everyone, so that might be a bit misleading. Unless, of course, you consider yourself the "masses". Don't you think if the masses felt that way that Disney, which we all know by now, is only out to make money, would have dropped it like a hot potato. They don't make money on things they cannot sell, according to you they can't even give it away. I'm guessing is isn't near as bad as the picture that is being painted. But, you apparently prefer the flat-breads and that is why both are available depending on which location you decide to go to and what you like best. You can like things without having to convince others that they are missing out on something that you have found to be nirvana.
@lentesta, can you tell us how the various pizza places are ranked in the guide? He's already said that Pizza Planet was below average. Pizzafari just changed over to the flatbreads so they may not have as much data there. Pinocchio's Village Haus has had them for a few years.

Brian Swan

They should borrow a few of those pizza ovens from Blaze and fire out pizzas every 180 seconds. That's how you do quick service pizza.

I will admit though, I can't think of any theme park pizza I have had that's been even remotely decent, and I've eaten my fair share of frozen pizzas...
I have to agree with any of the "pizza by the slice" locations. Actually I find the pizza at MM to be pretty good, and the VN pizza to be excellent - even by the NY pizza standards that I grew up with. I just wish they had some authentic Chicago deep-dish pizza somewhere on property...

Brian Swan

As a Brit I know those dishes perfectly well. They aren't Harry Potter themed, just items you'd find at any British pub.
Bangers and Mash (sausages served with mashed potatoes with an onion brown gravy, for those who don't know what it is) is one of my favoriate pub meals. Sadly, difficult to fine in America outside of theme parks and large cities. I like RR's better than R&C's, but that's probably just a matter of taste. At one time R&C served a Ploughman's (a cold platter with some varieties of meat, bread, and pickles, classically accompanied by a pint of ale) because I had it there.

Next Big Thing

@lentesta, can you tell us how the various pizza places are ranked in the guide? He's already said that Pizza Planet was below average. Pizzafari just changed over to the flatbreads so they may not have as much data there. Pinocchio's Village Haus has had them for a few years.
What i'll be interested in is if the PizzeRizzo rating improves from the Pizza Planet rating, seemingly strictly based on the place being less tacky. Appearance matters in forming an overall opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I really like the pseudo (or maybe real) Hirschfeld caricatures of the Muppets that are on one of the walls; these are the kind of details that Disney gets right.

Looking at blog videos, I can say that the one for Sam is definitely pseudo... no NINA. Pretty sure the others aren't either since I couldn't find on the internet any Hirschfeld drawings of Kermit or Miss Piggy. There is a Hirschfeld of the Sesame Street gang and of Henson which should go up in PizzeRizzo in tribute.

Goofyernmost

How does one do a cartoon caricature of a cartoon character. Doesn't seem like that would be possible. They always look like however they were drawn.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How does one do a cartoon caricature of a cartoon character. Doesn't seem like that would be possible. They always look like however they were drawn.
SP.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom