"Starbright Holidays" Drone show coming to Disney Springs

mm121

Color me shocked that they're doing this in a non-gated area like this rather than inside a park (which requires admission).

To me, that either means:

1. Disney Springs really IS doing that poorly that they need to draw people there any way they can

or

2. This show isn't elaborate enough to use as an advertized draw into a park.
my theory on this is that it may have something to do with the faa approval

as drones arent readily being approved for "commercial" use, and doing it at a free venue it could be under the guise of recreational since they arent charging for it

*Q*

Now that's interesting. I looked through the patent stuff and some of the ideas are pretty wild. Still, you just never know how things will come to fruition. If they did an Illuminations 2.0, this could be a really fun enhancement which I would hope be in addition to fireworks and other elements.

Strictly speaking, I think we're talking IllumiNations 4.0 here.

TTA94

So this show will strictly be drones? Or other lighting effects around the marketplace area? And what about a soundtrack?

Biff215

This seems like a nice addition.

I wonder how sensitive this type of show would be to weather and especially wind? I assume if it's raining they couldn't run the show but how steady are these drones in wind? I"m sure someone out there has some experience with these types of things.
I was thinking the same thing, possibly why they chose a free location so guest relations doesn't have to give out free passes. I can't speak for the drones they're using, but my cheap model is very affected by wind. Even with a heavier drone, I'd imagine the weather requirements would be much tighter than other shows since it's new and close enough to guests. I'd bet they'll choose to play it very safe especially this first time around.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was thinking the same thing, possibly why they chose a free location so guest relations doesn't have to give out free passes. I can't speak for the drones they're using, but my cheap model is very affected by wind. Even with a heavier drone, I'd imagine the weather requirements would be much tighter than other shows since it's new and close enough to guests. I'd bet they'll choose to play it very safe especially this first time around.
My guess is the show takes place out over the lake with boat service suspended during the show. They won't fly these things directly over guests. At least I don't think they would.

Biff215

My guess is the show takes place out over the lake with boat service suspended during the show. They won't fly these things directly over guests. At least I don't think they would.
Oh I agree completely, but with uncertain weather and so many drones, it wouldn't be crazy to think at least one could end up near a guest area. I'm sure every safety precaution possible will be taken including restrictions on wind speed.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
And what about a soundtrack?

My expectation is that it will just be a medley of Holiday Music and not an original score and only drones, but that's just a guess of course...

I see this more as a beta test for the drones to first of all be one of the first parks (certainly first in the US) to use drones and to see what the public response is to this novelty...

21stamps

All I can see is a purple blob but I'm so excited by this idc that I can't make anything out lol
I am too. I've been going back and forth about if we will have time for DS or not. This show was the deciding factor. We'll head over there after our AK day.

Does anyone know the times for this? It may have been mentioned, but please help me out instead of reading all of these pages. ;)
We would be getting to DS around 7:30-8pm on a Friday night.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Should be interesting to see what Disney has done here, Given that Intel has posited replacing fireworks with high performance lighted drones.

[/SNARKON]
When I first heard 'Drone Show' at Disney Springs, I immediately thought of Disney is going to have the cubicle dwellers in Celebration Place do a nightly song and dance number...
[/SNARKOFF]

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Should be interesting to see what Disney has done here, Given that Intel has posited replacing fireworks with high performance lighted drones.
Hmm, haven't seen any insider state that they are replacing the fireworks with only drones. Enhancing, yes. So please let us know where you heard that from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom