Is sea world coming bavk

NeonNinja

Original Poster
Yesterday the parking lot was full but the park did not reach capacity it was amazing but seeing this do you think sea world is making a comeback?

SSH

We were just there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in many years....I loved it much more than I thought I would. We also tried Discovery Cove for the first time, which was an amazing experience. I have mixed feelings and can see points from both camps for and against SW. But at the end of the day, I do think they add more value now and are making positive strides compared to their past - thanks in part to all the outside pressure. They also teach and educate so many. I'm rooting for them.

21stamps

We were just there a couple of weeks ago for the first time in many years....I loved it much more than I thought I would. We also tried Discovery Cove for the first time, which was an amazing experience. I have mixed feelings and can see points from both camps for and against SW. But at the end of the day, I do think they add more value now and are making positive strides compared to their past - thanks in part to all the outside pressure. They also teach and educate so many. I'm rooting for them.
The thing is though- they were doing many positive things well before Blackfish came out.
I wish more people would realize that.

G8rchamps

Lived in FL for 35 yrs and first trip was this summer (because we got free tickets) Paid for parking, food, and a few small items. I must say that out family of 4 son12 and daughter 9 all really enjoyed. Mako is awesome. Daughter is about an inch too short for the coasters which mostly require 54 in I recall correctly. Can I say that we also enjoyed animals without de-railing some ones post. We plan to go back next March during our spring break time (and pay this time).

21stamps

Just wanted to share this....

Animal rescue and rehabilitation program[edit]

SeaWorld operates its conservation program in cooperation with the Department of the Interior, National Marine Fisheries Service and state agencies; its rescue and rehabilitation program was developed to comply with the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and the Endangered Species Act of 1973.[45] Since its inception SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has rescued or helped more than 26,000 animals, including ill, orphaned or abandoned and injured manatees, dolphins, pilot whales, sea turtles, and birds.[46][47][48]As part of its animal rehabilitation program, SeaWorld has claimed the first birth of a killer whale in captivity, the first birth of a marine mammal via artificial insemination, and the first hatching of captive green sea turtles. While acknowledging the value of these programs, critics and animal rights advocates have questioned SeaWorld's balance of conservation and education alongside the commercial activities of its theme parks.[49] In 1998, SeaWorld, with the help of the US Coast Guard, released the gray whale J.J. after the whale was rehabilitated at SeaWorld San Diego for 14 months.[50]

SSH

The thing is though- they were doing many positive things well before Blackfish came out.
I wish more people would realize that.

Gotta agree. My biggest misgiving is the dolphin swims. I just feel they're wrong - and this is in no way criticizing anyone who did one. I know a ton of people who love them. Their kids love them. It was a bucket list experience for everyone in their family. I get that. I even considered trying it once myself.

But every time I watch these swim with the dolphin programs - at Sea World...in the Keys...in the Caribbean...anywhere really, I just end up feeling sad for the animals. Those dolphin encounters feel wrong to me because the dolphins don't really have a choice - they can't just swim and be admired. They have to work - they're expected to interact, be friendly, delight visitors. I know dolphins like interacting with humans, but over and over with the mass crowds booked for these swims day in, day out, 365 days a year?

Again it's personal opinion only and I totally understand I'm probably in the minority in feeling like that.

The Empress Lilly

Mako was terrific. SEA now maybe has the best coaster line-up of any Orlando park.

Pity Antarctica the ride is now mostly closed, it seems. Which leaves Antarctica mostly a dud, like Turtle Trek. Those two should've uplifted the park two years ago already. The penguin exhibit remains great.

I did the Shamu show, which I've skipped for ages. In its current state - apart from reminding me it all really is a bit sad - it felt pointless. My evil side did enjoy seeing an orca, which I never get to see otherwise or elsewhere.

More positively, SEA boasts perhaps the nicest landscaping in Orlando. With the manageable crowds it makes for quite the pleasant stroll.

919Florida

SeaWorld has been a love and a passion of mine for years. When I moved to Florida I got my platinum pass before I even got my license. It was that important to me here. I visited every single week. I stood with them through every negative story in blackfish and all other negative press.

Then on the morning of March 17 Manby sucker punched the biggest fans of SeaWorld. His dreams of slowly removing the animals and replacing with more rides is upsetting. I never went to SeaWorld for rides. I went for the animals. When the one ocean officially ends that will be the day my pass ends sadly. I for one hope that Manby is gone soon and a SeaWorld that revolved around animals can return.

LukaLand

SeaWorld has been a love and a passion of mine for years. When I moved to Florida I got my platinum pass before I even got my license. It was that important to me here. I visited every single week. I stood with them through every negative story in blackfish and all other negative press.

Then on the morning of March 17 Manby sucker punched the biggest fans of SeaWorld. His dreams of slowly removing the animals and replacing with more rides is upsetting. I never went to SeaWorld for rides. I went for the animals. When the one ocean officially ends that will be the day my pass ends sadly. I for one hope that Manby is gone soon and a SeaWorld that revolved around animals can return.

I couldn't agree more. The big thing that people fail to realize is that the shows provide needed exersize and enrichment for the animals. There's no forcing them to do anything. Heck, I've never seen Katina finnish a single performance without refusing at least one of the things she was supposed to. Last time we visited she even stopped the show for a while and in the end Nalani finnished the entire thing solo. The terrible consequence for doing this? Nothing! She was brought into one of the back pools and fed. Tell me again these animals are forced to preform?

Tom Morrow

I'm sad to say that SeaWorld has been an absolute ghost town on most days lately. Prior to Blackfish, it was common for rides to have short waits, but the seats were at least full. On a few recent visits, they were running one train on each coaster, and still couldn't fill it.

The Mom

Premium Member
I really hope so. They do a lot of good that they don't get enough credit for.

Exactly. Last week a manatee was rescued just down the street from me - it got stuck under a street in a drainage ditch. It was sent down the road (I-95 - I-4) to Sea World for rehabilitation. The same is true for many dolphins and whales - the Sea Turtles are usually sent to Jekyll Island where they have a Sea Turtle rescue .

BrerJon

I get that they want to replace the shows where the animals perform with rides, but will be surprised if the manatees and whales will fit in the coaster seats.

Daveeeeed

I know Joel Manby and can tell you, he is a wonderful person. I cannot think of anyone better to lead SeaWorld and I really do wish the best for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom