A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Nickels5

Might it be that Spirit loves Disney as it was run for decades before Iger and his minions started running the company into the ground for personal profit.

It's possible to love the Disney experience but utterly despise the way company is being run.
No because he complains about the Disney experience nonstop. Yea Disney is being run differently then the past and there's a lot of changes that one could argue have been money motivated only but bottom line Disney is still the best.

71jason

It's odd to me that DCL can charge beyond premium rates* from ports within a 3-hour drive of WDW, but can't seem to get customers elsewhere. It's an Achilles heel that I would think would limit their long-term growth.

* Royal Caribbean tweeted at a blogger friend of mine this morning--same itinerary as a DCL boat, one week earlier in 2018, is $1,000 cheaper on their newest boat.

Bocabear

ACTUALLY...the brand is slipping, and people notice... And what is a discussion board, but to DISCUSS the parks...what we like...what we don't like... There are times that you cant think of a positive thing to say...and others when you gush...
I am sure he has said something positive...and even if not, his voice is valid in a true discussion...

71jason

A question, do you think the blogging/whoring community in O-Town has been told what restaurants and shops they have to pimp by Dr. Blondie and Co?

I just wonder because they all seem to rave about Homecoming, which is wildly overrated and pricey ($26-29 for fried chicken?!?! I don't care that Art Smith made it for Oprah!), and all seem to bash STK, which seems much less part of the 'fan/DPB community'. I haven't dined at the latter, but is popular in other locations.

Also seems that the Bloggers just all love the places owned and operated by WDW Co. The DeLuxe Burger joint and the wildly lousy Jock Lindsey's (do they actually put alcohol in their drinks or exist to sell mugs to fanbois who think alcohol is 'icky'?)

Another popular place is Blaze Pizza, which I enjoy but they are all over the place with cheaper prices than the DS locale.

The only DS places that seem to get unanimous raves from the fan community are Boathouse (well deserved) and Jocks (I suspect more for the atmosphere and friendly staff than the drinks).

Opinions on Homecoming seem decidedly mixed, tho you can't be surprised a large percentage of people who uprooted their lives to live near a theme park are big on a place that makes comfort food seem fancy.

Blaze is a novel concept new to the area (unless you visit Artegon, and no one does). Also the closest thing to a new, affordable fast food spot in DS in a decade. Earl of Sandwich had the same cult fandom 10 years ago.

STK was just an obvious mistake (no pun intended). An expense account steakhouse that turns into a nightclub after 10, they were genuinely surprised when the stroller brigades showed up for dinner at 5, ordered dessert, then cleared out by 8:45,. with no late night party crowd wandering in after from, I don't know, Uniqlo or the Marvel Superhero Store. Even bloggers, maybe especially bloggers, love to feel smugly superior--in this case, it's fun to dogpile STK corporate for being so clueless. (I mean, come on, did they even walk around the area before signing a lease? Or did they just look at convention-goer numbers on paper.)

The real star this year has been Toothsome over at CityWalk. Unique, striking design + good and reasonably priced food = 3 hour waits for a table. But the days of Disney Imagineering designing a signature restaurant are long past.

TeddyinMO

So with the earlier complaints of Disney's hotel prices, I decided to do some checking. I went online to search for Friday and Saturday night hotel options on both Presidents' Day weekend (one of Disney's busiest) and the weekend after 2/24-2/26 (relatively slow weekend). 2 nights, family of 4. Basic room.

I searched Disney, Universal and downtown hotels in the following cities: New York, Chicago, Nashville, Dallas and Kansas City. I chose a reasonable comp for Value, Moderate and Deluxe (you can quibble with my choices, but all were representative of the overall Expedia star categories and price points). I used Disney's site for its hotels, Uni's for theirs, and Expedia for theirs. I didn't include parking or resort fees, but that would mostly have helped Disney.

Here's what's interesting... Disney is competitive with these 5 American cities. Uni was slightly higher than Disney on these weekends, but not out of the ballpark. Simply put, look at these locations during the last two weekends of February. Where do you want to be? Sure Kansas City is cheaper, but would you rather be there or at WDW? Here's the comparison:

upload_2016-10-26_15-20-44.png

asianway

The only DS places that seem to get unanimous raves from the fan community are Boathouse (well deserved) and Jocks (I suspect more for the atmosphere and friendly staff than the drinks).

Opinions on Homecoming seem decidedly mixed, tho you can't be surprised a large percentage of people who uprooted their lives to live near a theme park are big on a place that makes comfort food seem fancy.

Blaze is a novel concept new to the area (unless you visit Artegon, and no one does). Also the closest thing to a new, affordable fast food spot in DS in a decade. Earl of Sandwich had the same cult fandom 10 years ago.

STK was just an obvious mistake (no pun intended). An expense account steakhouse that turns into a nightclub after 10, they were genuinely surprised when the stroller brigades showed up for dinner at 5, ordered dessert, then cleared out by 8:45,. with no late night party crowd wandering in after from, I don't know, Uniqlo or the Marvel Superhero Store. Even bloggers, maybe especially bloggers, love to feel smugly superior--in this case, it's fun to dogpile STK corporate for being so clueless. (I mean, come on, did they even walk around the area before signing a lease? Or did they just look at convention-goer numbers on paper.)

The real star this year has been Toothsome over at CityWalk. Unique, striking design + good and reasonably priced food = 3 hour waits for a table. But the days of Disney Imagineering designing a signature restaurant are long past.
Im still shocked Earl didnt build a second location, or at least a larger more centrally located one out of all this.

asianway

It's odd to me that DCL can charge beyond premium rates* from ports within a 3-hour drive of WDW, but can't seem to get customers elsewhere. It's an Achilles heel that I would think would limit their long-term growth.

* Royal Caribbean tweeted at a blogger friend of mine this morning--same itinerary as a DCL boat, one week earlier in 2018, is $1,000 cheaper on their newest boat.
Im really surprised theyre trying to drive rates like that out of San Juan. If I need to get on an airplane for a cruise, without the benefit of WDW as a side visit, Im going to do Alaska or Europe.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So with the earlier complaints of Disney's hotel prices, I decided to do some checking. I went online to search for Friday and Saturday night hotel options on both Presidents' Day weekend (one of Disney's busiest) and the weekend after 2/24-2/26 (relatively slow weekend). 2 nights, family of 4. Basic room.

I searched Disney, Universal and downtown hotels in the following cities: New York, Chicago, Nashville, Dallas and Kansas City. I chose a reasonable comp for Value, Moderate and Deluxe (you can quibble with my choices, but all were representative of the overall Expedia star categories and price points). I used Disney's site for its hotels, Uni's for theirs, and Expedia for theirs. I didn't include parking or resort fees, but that would mostly have helped Disney.

Here's what's interesting... Disney is competitive with these 5 American cities. Uni was slightly higher than Disney on these weekends, but not out of the ballpark. Simply put, look at these locations during the last two weekends of February. Where do you want to be? Sure Kansas City is cheaper, but would you rather be there or at WDW? Here's the comparison:

View attachment 171708

The problem of course is that Disney hotels are not competitive with the greater Orlando market especially the 'deluxe' accomodations.

flynnibus

Premium Member

View attachment 171708

Its interesting... but choices like picking a holiday weekend inflate the normal prices... and frankly a Disney value is on par with a Quality Inn.. Comfort Inn.. etc.. not Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, etc. Fancy grounds do not make up for the Hotel basics of room size, beds, amenities, services, etc. Just as a spot check, I did Feb 3 and Nashville... and rates can be less than half of what your sheet captured.

Disney charging nearly $200/night for what equates to motel rooms is pretty sad. Location, Location, Location... but that doesn't make guests feel any better paying the rate.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Hey what's up sour grapes! Not sure what WDW ever did to you but you sure do come across as a bitter ex-employee.
Please stop stating your opinion as fact or as if you are the last word on anything.
Just a couple of points on your pointless rant that most of the sheep tend to eat up around hear.
First, STK is a restaurant that I believe originated in the meat packing district of New York and it's extremely overrated. Not considered a top notch steak house, which is a fact. I knew it was a money grab when they tried to launch it in Disney. It is failing down there cause it is wildly expensive and it's just a good restaurant but not great.

Secondly, you bash anything that is popular in Disney and try to discredit it by stating things like, o-town lifers, mommy bloggers or by creating these wild conspiracy theories....

Honestly man stop coming to the website if you are going to aimlessly and baselessly tear things down. I.e... Finding Dory.
Finding Dory was a fantastic flick,,,and most people really enjoyed it... But you didn't so you state that it was very average... Why? Cause your opinion is so important? Bit of a self important narcissist are you?

Also, your other opinions are also way off base but I really don't feel like spending any more time on some one who clearly has an anti Disney agenda.

Lastly take your Karl Rovian tactics and stay off of this site.
Please stay in universal where the grass is greener of course!
Such a mad little person. Your like Kylo Ren slashing your verbal light saber all over the place because your upset. Calm down, Kylo. Han loves you!!!!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney charging nearly $200/night for what equates to motel rooms is pretty sad. Location, Location, Location... but that doesn't make guests feel any better paying the rate.

Soo...do you want Disney to charge interstate motel/hotel prices for their 'value' accommodations? Or increase the quality of these accommodations (other than normal renovations) while keeping the price the same? Or something else?

Nmoody1

No kidding those bloggers are being told where to pimp by Dr. Blondie and Company. I went to WDW earlier this year. I didn't go out my way for Deluxe Burger Burger joint because the local burger place I go to offers shakes, burgers, and fries at cheaper prices. While that place isn't in Florida, it is a perfect measuring stick in terms of the items they offer.

I also did look at some new places at Disney springs. Some of the shops were empty at night despite Disney Springs being busy or people just didn't buy a single thing in those shops. I am not surprised about Amorette's Patisserie cutting their hours. While I saw a small amount of people eating there, the prices are the problem over there. I didn't buy anything from there matter of fact.

Amourette has great desserts... But they are the kind you want to sit in and enjoy in an upscale atmosphere... There isn't much seating and what seating there is feels like a cafeteria.

Tried Frontera this week, loved it. D-LUXE was also good. STK I have been to in other cities... It feels somewhat out of place at Disney springs.

I love how much entertainment is offered... O still think it is lacking some cheaper eateries and tween market stores... I've said all along it needs a Hollister or AE. It needs a fast food pasta type place to balance out d luxe and blaze. Just to add something else to the mix.

Nubs70

You're right; a two-week trip to Europe is much more impressive than a week at a theme park.
I took the opportunity th spend a day at Sans Souci this summer, and all I could think of is why WDW could not build something a grand as this. There was no IP, no strollers, no merchandise, just beautiful landscaping and architecture.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Soo...do you want Disney to charge interstate motel/hotel prices for their 'value' accommodations? Or increase the quality of these accommodations (other than normal renovations) while keeping the price the same? Or something else?
Don't be so shallow and pedantic. There was once a good balance. Obviously no one is saying Disney should charge $60 night for a resort room. But when you consider the high cost of a park ticket (especially park hopper) plus high priced food, and then throw in an extremely overpriced resort room That's already 30% off but still $300 per night, you find yourself feeling choked with the cost and just want some type of a break.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

You know how years ago, Mars Needs Moms killed Zemeckis's mocap unit at Disney and his plans for a Yellow Submarine remake? They were also making a giant monster movie over there, "Calling All Robots". Bunch of artwork and a story reel have emerged.

http://astoundingbeyondbelief.tumblr.com/tagged/calling-all-robots

Real shame. Kaiju films are a genre I'd love to see feature animation do more in.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here is a prime example from local burger place compare to deluxe burger joint.

Here is a picture of the fries from a local burger joint that I go to once in a while with them costing $2.10:

hamburger-fries.jpg

If you are wondering a small order of fries at the deluxe burger joint at Disney Springs cost $4.99.

That burger in the picture actually cost much less than the burgers at the deluxe burger joint also.

Mmmm fresh hot burger.... Yum!

doctornick

Its interesting... but choices like picking a holiday weekend inflate the normal prices...

Isn't he comparing like to like? holiday weekends inflate the prices at Disney and in major cities. He also checked a regular weekend for comparison.

$200/night for a high demand location, high demand weekend for a clean/nicely decorated hotel room doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. I mean, sure, WDW hotels are overpriced, but they are overpriced the same way in demand hotels are anywhere.

Maybe others have different experiences, but a clean (i.e. not roach motel type) basic chain hotel that's "somewhere" (like in a non-downtown area of a city, as opposed to the side of the road places in the middle of nowhere) but not really in demand is probably going to run you $99 a night in general. A similar quality place in somewhere with actual demand that tourists make efforts to travel to being $150-200 a night seems about where I would expect.

Now people can say they are "not worth it" for what you get. I'm not disagreeing, but that's a different argument that the prices are somehow out of whack with the rest of the hospitality industry, which I do not think it the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom