Trip Report **COMPLETED** I Can Fly with Hurricane Matthew October 2016

I have to say this trip did not turn out how I was expecting lol. A lot of things were changed - some of our choosing and others were caused by Hurricane Matthew. I didn't take as many pictures this trip as I have during previous ones. First of all, I was still feeling under the weather this trip and spent a lot of it medicated LOL. Also, my husband and I knew going into this trip that it would be a transition of sorts as it would be our first vacation since the death of my mom over the summer. It was definitely a bittersweet trip. Our next trip back to WDW, whenever that may be, will definitely be a lot more lighthearted and fun. However, I'm glad we had this trip though. It gave us a much needed break and, because I still wasn't 100%, we were forced to really slow down this trip.

Who: Me and my husband, R
When: October 1st - 8th
Where: Port Orleans Riverside, Alligator Bayou section

I'm still editing the pictures that we took. My husband wanted me make sure that I had food pictures for this trip report (since I failed every other trip we took LOL) so he took most of the food pics. And thank goodness he did because I started eating as soon as the plate was put in front of me :)

LeighM

Original Poster
R asked me if I included pictures from the walkway from Africa towards Asia that had all of the orchids growing in the trees and it seems like I did not include those. Oops. R loves orchids (I kill every indoor plant that comes into the house so he takes care of the indoor plants while I do those outside :) )

DSCN1108.JPG
DSCN1109.JPG
DSCN1111.JPG

And apparently I forgot to include stories about my getting picked to go through extra security and the selfie stick. He wants to make sure I get those details in there lol. I think I figured out why I was often picked to go through extra security, and I noticed this happening to others the few times I didn't carry a purse. If you go through the bag check line and are waiting for someone else, thus looking like you have absolutely nothing to do, they seem more likely to get you. I was exasperated when it happened yet again at EPCOT so finally I came out and asked the security guard if it was because I was standing around looking bored or if it was because he was. Do I really look like I would be up to no good?????

And as much as they seemed to harass me this trip, the did not catch the extra long selfie stick that I saw a group of Asian girls using on Main Street completely getting in people's way. Are they starting to relax their stance on selfie sticks now? When I was there last year, I didn't even see one being used in the park. And cast members along Main Street saw this but they didn't confiscate it.

I'm sure there will be other little stories about the trip, the husband will remember that I've forgotten :)

Trisha Lynn

Loved this TR and am feeling better about my decision to book our trip for September and not October.

So he bought it (just came in the mail today!) and I told him he better not complain about the price for the next year either

Any chance you can post a picture of the sword? It's gotta be one heck of a sword!

LeighM

Original Poster
Any chance you can post a picture of the sword? It's gotta be one heck of a sword!

He'll have to take a picture of it because he's forbidden me to touch it in case my oil from my fingers leave prints he doesn't know about. If he doesn't know then he can't clean it. He takes his swords VERY VERY seriously LOL. The sword is a genuine Damascus blade apparently and it cost a lot of money. Not only did I want him to buy it because it regretted it 3 yrs and and they didn't have during our other trips, but I wanted him to buy it so he couldn't complain about the purses had I purchased :angelic:

Trisha Lynn

Tell him that there's been a request! Or if he's still reading, I'd really like to see the sword. I'll bet it's not on the Disney Store website, hmm?

Also, that was a very excellent strategy on your part. :D

sheriffwoody

Loved your report! So sorry your plans were messed up because of sickness and the hurricane :(. It sounds like you two still managed to have fun though!

After this, we went to the Big Top (my most favorite place in the park) and saw they were selling the Party pins. So time to get into another long time.
I so regretted not getting a party pin! I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I got on ebay and ordered the oogie boogie one when we got home... I wanted it so bad! I'll stand in line next year though.

To be honest, I don't know what I did to score so high early in the game.
That happened to me too! There must be a really good target at the beginning that we both got. I wish I knew what it was.

One thing I did find really amusing this day was how many men and women complimented me on how much they loved my luggage. I didn't expect it to be such a big hit with strangers
I was going to compliment it too! It's sooooo cute.

Are they starting to relax their stance on selfie sticks now?
I noticed one in Epcot. They were using it near the fountain and there were several CMs around, but no one said anything. Guess they're not as strict anymore!

LeighM

Original Poster
Loved your report! So sorry your plans were messed up because of sickness and the hurricane :(. It sounds like you two still managed to have fun though!

I so regretted not getting a party pin! I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I got on ebay and ordered the oogie boogie one when we got home... I wanted it so bad! I'll stand in line next year though.

That happened to me too! There must be a really good target at the beginning that we both got. I wish I knew what it was.

I was going to compliment it too! It's sooooo cute.

I noticed one in Epcot. They were using it near the fountain and there were several CMs around, but no one said anything. Guess they're not as strict anymore!

Thanks for reading!

When I got home, I had to buy another pin with just 2016 on it. I focused so much on the special event pins that I completely forgot about the yearly ones we also collect. So I got one with Orange Bird. I was planning on getting the Alice ones that couldn't be ordered thru their app but I couldn't find those pins anywhere!! Last year, I went crazy with special MNSSHP merchandise and left with 2 t-shirts, neither of which I really want :) This year, I stuck to the pins lol.

And we still managed to have fun and enjoy the time away from home. I'm trying to plan something for 2017 or 2018 and my head is spinning at all of the possibilities LOL. My friend said she would be willing to house sit again so I need to plan something around her schedule as well. Because of the hurricane, I feel like my trip was incomplete and that we need a redo :facepalm: Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1: Go in early December 2017 so I can do the Christmas Party and EPCOT Holidays Around the World, etc. The husband wants to do something other than just WDW so I tentatively have a 3 night Disney cruise booked. I was also thinking of adding a couple days at Universal. And do we drive since there are so many components or fly and rent car/taxi? My problem? I don't think I'll be happy with it feeling so rushed and not really able to be immersed in the experience. I've never been to Universal, we're huge HP fans, and I don't think 2 days will be enough. I KNOW that 2-3 days at WDW isn't going to be enough time for me to enjoy all of their Christmas offerings. Which leads me to Option 2....

Option 2: Do a 3 or 4 night cruise in March/April/May 2018 followed by 3-4 nights at Universal?

Option 3: Stick with what we have and stay with our 4 night DCL scheduled for September 2017. This is less likely because of hurricane season and the heat/humidity. I do have the room I always wanted (8188) but I'm just not feeling it now - which is a whole other story that's best left off the internet since it has to do with in laws LOL.

Pirate'sLifeForME

A little late to the party, but I really enjoyed this trip report. Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry that your plans got ruined by the hurricane. And I'm really, really sorry about your mom. I hope things work out with your 2017/2018 trip!

LeighM

Original Poster
A little late to the party, but I really enjoyed this trip report. Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry that your plans got ruined by the hurricane. And I'm really, really sorry about your mom. I hope things work out with your 2017/2018 trip!

Thanks! It was still a lot of fun though. I've never experienced any type of hurricane at WDW before so we had a new story to tell :) I'm just thankful that it changed course last minute and we didn't have a direct hit by a category 4!!!

And I'm getting really anxious to start planning the 2018 trip. I changed the cruise from a 4 night to a 3 night so I could spend more days at WDW LOL. Now I'm waiting impatiently for them to open up 2018 packages...and for JetBlue to open my dates for booking :)

Jamie77

We hopped over to the Magic Kingdom at 6:30 and waited FOREVER to get a party wristband. I can't figure out why they handle that process the way they do. It seems like it would be easier if they handed out the wristbands once you go through the turnstiles rather than gather in a large group with the castmembers handing them out right afterwards. It was just a zoo! Once entering the park, they had us go through the back way through the gates. That was our first time going that way and it was neat.

View attachment 168654

The only character that I just had to meet were the The Tweedles since I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland. I was not expecting the line to be so long. We decided to get in line in case the line never shortened - and I waited an hour!!! The lines for all of the characters were long so this was the only one we did all night. But while we were waiting in line, the family in front of us was lecturing one of their sons about the importance of paying attention to everything - his surroundings, what he's doing, etc.

View attachment 168653

The PhotoPass photographer wasn't very good at this meet and greet either, which was a common theme this trip. Because of that, we didn't fully utilize our Memory Maker package. After this, we went to the Big Top (my most favorite place in the park) and saw they were selling the Party pins. So time to get into another long time. And who was in front of us but the lecturing family LOL. It was hilarious because he was so spaced out that he didn't even notice that his family had moved on to the register to pick out the party merchandise and he was the only one left in line. I was waiting to see how long it took him to realize he wasn't with his family any longer and it took longer than I was expecting. No wonder they were expecting him to pay more attention to what was going on around him :)

After that, we saw a special picture spot, which I was hoping was one of the MagicShots but it turned out to be this:

View attachment 168652

It's just not meant to be for me to get the hitchhiking ghosts or the poison apple bc when I did find them, the lines were too long. Which was also another theme of the party. The lines for candy were long as well. I heard someone say during one of our many waiting in lines that the party ended up being sold out. Not sure if that's true but it definitely felt like it being surrounded by the crowds.

One thing that R and I noticed this trip was that so many people didn't seem to be having fun. They were rushing from line to line. Literally dragging their kids around. It just wasn't fun this time. The lines for the rides were longer than we wanted to wait in so we only rode a few that night. We were just exiting the PeopleMover when we heard the fireworks. Nooo!!!! We were supposed to view the fireworks from the front of the park this time LOL. Because it was so crowded, we were stuck in Futureland during the fireworks and it had to be the worst place to see them. Another year of a fireworks fail :) We can never seem to keep track of time! We walked around the park a little bit more waiting for some people to leave before we did. By this time, I was dragging and just needed sleep. We had an early morning ahead of us and I knew this night was going to come back to kick me in the butt. We stopped for a few pictures before leaving.

View attachment 168647 View attachment 168648 View attachment 168649 View attachment 168651

And I guess many people didn't know about this MagicShot because there were no lines at all.
View attachment 168650

And that was the end of Sunday. The next morning we had an 8:15am ADR for Akershus and a full day at EPCOT, including the Behind the Seeds Tour :)

It would be nice if Disney made an announcement in five minute increments about the fireworks starting so people could find their viewing locations just like they do at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom