Disney ticket disaster

Gary Bramwell

Due to a serious accident we were unable to fly out on 17 Oct 16. We had purchased 7 adult and 3 child Disney/Universal switch tickets from Orlando Attraction Tickets in August which we have not been able to use and are not covered by our insurance. OAT can't/won't help as our tickets have been linked to our party. Disney are not interested in the slightest and just offered to sell us more tickets before wishing me "a magical day"!
Can tickets be un-linked or extended into 2017? We have offered to pay the additional sum for 2017 tickets. Has anyone else had a similar experience

21stamps

It is non-transferrable.

Let this be a lesson to everyone...do not purchase tickets from anyone except Disney as Disney's hands are tied.

Caveat emptor
...and if you do- rant and rave about the company you purchased the tickets from, not Disney. Also- purchase trip insurance.

At the end of the day though, Sorry for your wife OP. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Upvote 0

MOXOMUMD

No the tickets say they expire at the end of 2016.But you would have thought a multi billion company like Disney would sort it out we can provide medical proof.We have heard that universal will sort it(or they did last year for someone)and discovery cove have been brilliant and said we can either hold our reservation for 2 year's or obtain a full refund.why not Disney?
You didn't buy the tickets from Disney so I don't understand how they are liable for a refund. Frustrating but lesson learned here. Buy direct.

Upvote 0

21stamps

You didn't buy the tickets from Disney so I don't understand how they are liable for a refund. Frustrating but lesson learned here. Buy direct.
I've never purchased 3rd party tickets, but wouldn't they still be under the same rules as purchased from Disney? As in - the company just buys in bulk and then resell, or are they actually a different type of ticket?

Upvote 0

lilclerk

This is the back of the ticket spoke to a helpful guy at Disney this morning apparently it's a disney/universa switch ticket exclusive to Orlando attraction tickets on therequest website it states expire's at the end of 2016 but on the actual card it doesn't say anything about expiring.
It is non-transferrable.
They can link their My Disney Experience accounts together and reassign the tickets to someone else. Tickets are non-transferable after the first use. That's why you can still buy tickets as a gift for someone.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
...and if you do- rant and rave about the company you purchased the tickets from, not Disney. Also- purchase trip insurance.

At the end of the day though, Sorry for your wife OP. Wishing her a speedy recovery!
Actually that is his best bet. Raise such a fuss online that the company would want to shut him up.

Tell the company about all the bad reviews that you will post. Give them another chance, then follow through.

Keep posting bad stuff about them EVERYWHERE. That is your only recourse right now.

Hit them in their pocketbook.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I've never purchased 3rd party tickets, but wouldn't they still be under the same rules as purchased from Disney? As in - the company just buys in bulk and then resell, or are they actually a different type of ticket?

I think that third party ticket sales for Disney are actually illegal in Florida.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I think that third party ticket sales for Disney are actually illegal in Florida.
Yeah, that's the strange part to me. I don't know how a company can sell WDW tickets that didn't come from WDW in the first place. I've never heard of that. I know plenty of people who have purchased from UT, but those are still "normal" Disney tickets.

Upvote 0

21stamps

There are plenty of legitimate third party sellers, like Undercover Tourist and the website the OP used which is for UK tickets.

I think it's only illegal to sell partially used multi-day tickets.
That's what is not making sense. From my understanding, tickets from UT are the same tickets that one would purchase from WDW. I would assume any 3rd party would be the same. If not- how are the tickets in existence at all?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjv

Before you buy ticket for your next trip, I would check your disney account after these ticket "expire" to see if there are still link. And if they are real disney ticket I would say your chances are good.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Just to be sure, I would call in and without telling them the whole story, just give them the ticket number and ask when it expires.

I don't trust most customer service reps in any company to be able to put two and two together until they demonstrate they can. Just keep it simple and ask that one question first. Here's my ticket number. When does it expire?

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is the back of the ticket spoke to a helpful guy at Disney this morning apparently it's a disney/universa switch ticket exclusive to Orlando attraction tickets on therequest website it states expire's at the end of 2016 but on the actual card it doesn't say anything about expiring.

Actually... these are Disney constraints. These are additional conditions that exist for the special European tickets. These tickets are not sold to US customers, and hearing the US ticketing offices give incorrect info is not unusual.

Look at Disney's own UK ticket offer..
http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/tickets/

Down in the fine print...
"2016 tickets are for arrivals between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016 and must be used for the first time at any park listed above by December 31, 2016."

You will find the similar constraint with other UK ticket sites selling the ticket... such as on this site
http://www.attraction-tickets-direc...y-world-resort/disneys-14-day-ultimate-ticket

Orlando Attraction Tickets (a UK ticket seller) is less clear on this constraint, but is listed on their site.. They say "Tickets are valid for the year selected"
https://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk/Ticket/Walt-Disney-World-Resort--14-Day-Ultimate-Ticket

But their T&C page does outline they can't make changes to tickets once linked to MDE.. and they can't cancel tickets that have been sent out..
"
Disney Cancellations

Please note that we cannot accept any cancellation of Disney tickets that have been dispatched."

I'm afraid here you've bought into a system that is constrained by Disney (due to the special nature of these UK tickets) as well as a ticket reseller that is limited.

The Disney agent does have cancellation options with penalties after a ticket has been sent. I doubt the ticket broker is going to help you much, nor is a front-line Disney CSR. Your best bet probably is to get a contact address from Disney, and send them a letter and documentation asking that your tickets be exchanged for a 2017 ticket, or other compensation given the extreme medical circumstances.

You're pretty much locked in based on what you bought, but you can still try to find an exception process from Disney hopefully. I don't know if the UK people would be more helpful, or if it has to come from the bigger corporate entity. The fact they are international only tickets complicates things.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Given all that information I'm going to say something that will sound bad, but may be practical.

You have 10 tickets and one person is injured. Is it possible she can travel with you and enjoy the room while the rest of the family enjoys the parks without taking such a huge loss on your investment?

If not, can she stay home, even with one other person, and the rest of the troop minimize your losses?

You can make it less painful by including lots of FaceTime phone calls, thoughtful souvenirs, etc.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Actually... these are Disney constraints. These are additional conditions that exist for the special European tickets. These tickets are not sold to US customers, and hearing the US ticketing offices give incorrect info is not unusual.

Look at Disney's own UK ticket offer..
http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/tickets/

Down in the fine print...
"2016 tickets are for arrivals between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2016 and must be used for the first time at any park listed above by December 31, 2016."

You will find the similar constraint with other UK ticket sites selling the ticket... such as on this site
http://www.attraction-tickets-direc...y-world-resort/disneys-14-day-ultimate-ticket

Orlando Attraction Tickets (a UK ticket seller) is less clear on this constraint, but is listed on their site.. They say "Tickets are valid for the year selected"
https://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk/Ticket/Walt-Disney-World-Resort--14-Day-Ultimate-Ticket

But their T&C page does outline they can't make changes to tickets once linked to MDE.. and they can't cancel tickets that have been sent out..
"
Disney Cancellations

Please note that we cannot accept any cancellation of Disney tickets that have been dispatched."

I'm afraid here you've bought into a system that is constrained by Disney (due to the special nature of these UK tickets) as well as a ticket reseller that is limited.

The Disney agent does have cancellation options with penalties after a ticket has been sent. I doubt the ticket broker is going to help you much, nor is a front-line Disney CSR. Your best bet probably is to get a contact address from Disney, and send them a letter and documentation asking that your tickets be exchanged for a 2017 ticket, or other compensation given the extreme medical circumstances.

You're pretty much locked in based on what you bought, but you can still try to find an exception process from Disney hopefully. I don't know if the UK people would be more helpful, or if it has to come from the bigger corporate entity. The fact they are international only tickets complicates things.
Thank you for providing this info. That makes sense.

Why wouldn't these tickets be covered under trip insurance though? The tickets are part of the vacation, all should be refundable given a medical emergency.

OP- did you purchase insurance? Contact that company if so.

Upvote 0

21stamps

That's totally up to the terms of your insurance purchase... if you bought some.
Coming from outside of the US (even inside the US people should, depending..) I hope that he did. If so then there is really not any way that an insurance company could deny the reimbursement when there is documented proof.

If he didn't- then his rant should be taken out on the mirror. Sucks, but true.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
Coming from outside of the US (even inside the US people should, depending..) I hope that he did. If so then there is really not any way that an insurance company could deny the reimbursement when there is documented proof.

Insurance still has scope of what it covers or not. It's futile to banter about if there is no specific example in front of you. From what I saw, that ticket agent didn't offer travel insurance.. but of course you could normally buy your own 3rd party insurance.

Usually just seeing how cheap these UK tickets are... is enough to off US customers so they don't care about UK losses :D

Upvote 0

21stamps

Insurance still has scope of what it covers or not. It's futile to banter about if there is no specific example in front of you. From what I saw, that ticket agent didn't offer travel insurance.. but of course you could normally buy your own 3rd party insurance.

Usually just seeing how cheap these UK tickets are... is enough to **** off US customers so they don't care about UK losses :D

I typically always use 3rd party travel insurance, especially when I cruise (because of price). It does/should cover all associated portions of the trip.

The only thing that always annoys me is when people choose not to spend a little extra, and then throw a fit and demand refunds when something happens.

I don't know if this is the case with the OP or not, but it's a good reminder that people should spend a minuscule amount to protect the much larger sum.

Hopefully you never need to use, but it's nice to have in case. We have insurance on our cell phones, yet people don't insure a vacation. So crazy to me.lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom