Mickey's Christmas Party- Is it worth it?

mguimond1990

I have never been to the xmas party, but I have been to the Halloween party a couple times and I think it's worth it. They will let you into the park at 4 even tho the party doesn't start until 7. So you can explore MK from 4-midnight for $79. Which is much cheaper than the 1 day ticket..plus the event only parade/fireworks. We have had a blast at the Halloween party. I imagine the xmas party is just as fun. So for me, I see value in it. Others will have different opinions of course.

Belle_MTL

We've gone to the party the past two years and I absolutely think it's worth it. With smaller crowds, we get much more done during the party than during a regular day at the MK, and we usually leave by 9pm (we have young kids).

copcarguyp71

I'm on record (many times) as having said it seems an insult to charge a guest full price to get into the parks and then charge them extra to stay for "free" hot chocolate, peppermint and a parade but to each their own. Sroogish? Perhaps, but I think I could swallow it a little better if they charged a lesser amount to those who already paid for a full day in the park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It USED to be worth it back in the day when it was 39 bucks and they let in FAR fewer people and there were many more entertainment and treat venues AND you got a 'free' picture as part of the event. And at the same time they had enough event merchandise so it did not sell out in the first hour or so of the party... That's the weird part Disney grubs for every penny yet they let merchandising opportunities walk out the door It always seems Disney is playing 'Not to lose' at WDW instead of 'Playing to Win' unfortunately that mentality guarantees a loss.

Now - If you are visiting WDW for only one day I'd consider the party INSTEAD of the one day general admission because of crowd levels.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Put it this way...we have gone 4 times since it started 20 years ago. The last time we went it was so crowded, so expensive and except for a parade and some snow bubbles so pointless we swore it off.

We are headed there Dec 18th and mapped out plans for that night - in other parks- because we know those nights are a waste and our fun factor will be much higher in virtually empty places elsewhere on property.

By the way, what used to make it special, but ain't there no more:
- small crowds
- reasonable price
- free party souvenier buttons
- complimentary family photos with characters professionally taken and made to your house (imagine that!)
- free food that didn't taste like bulk WalMart cookies

Yeah there isn't much very merry about this thing anymore

Like you I remember a time when the parties were special, fun filled and INEXPENSIVE.

Now there is the joy of selling 2 $100 admissions to the MK for 2-3 days per week for almost three months But this joy is only if you are on the Executive Bonus List at WDW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Halloween party has much more to offer IMO. Although the Christmas parade is pretty cool.

True - That said even the Halloween party is a shadow of it's former self as it's been subject to the same cost cutting pressures with concomitant price increases and attendance increases.

When the parties started they were limited to 10,000 or so and the parties had a really intimate vibe, Now the parties are at what 30,000 or so and that intimate vibe is long gone.

rkleinlein

Absolutely NOT worth it. You will pay almost as much (maybe as much or more depending on the day and tier pricing) as a full day Magic Kingdom admission to enter at 4pm. Marketing a Christmas Parade as some special "party" worth a separate admission is a boondoggle. As is making people who have paid for a full day at the Magic Kingdom leave at 6 on Christmas Party nights.

GlassHalfFull

I disagree, its a 4pm until midnight event.. for less than a full day admission.
How many people would pay $79 to go into Magic Kingdom knowing they will only have 8 hours? how many of us go into Magic Kingdom for less than 8 hours in a day but still pay full admission(maybe not people on this forum but "us" meaning people who visit Disney). Does it seem expensive? Yes, but in the grand scheme of things, trips like the one I will take in early November, this event if PERFECT for our family.. We will be in the resort area for 7 nights, and are buying a 4 day hopper, and on one of the days we are not using a hopper we will be going to the Christmas Party. We are staying at shades of Green so our pricing options are different and a bit more structured(the big military discount tickets are 4 day hoppers only, no option for 2, 3 or 5, so we can't just upgrade to a 5 day hopper for $10(for the 5th day we would buy a 1 day hopper for similar to AAA discount rate).

This party is still less than half the price of a day at Universal, let alone a park to park day over there, but we still get to go to a park and enjoy less of a crowd than the normal day. Ride wait times are like they were when I was a kid during non peak seasons. I can ride some rides multiple times in an hour with kids who often draw annoyed and tired of waiting in lines, where during normal hours it would be once at most(Peter Pan, Mine Train, etc). Places like Be Our Guest are actually attainable for people outside of the resort to get reservations(as of last week I was still able to move my BOG dinner reservation so it was right after the parade and castle show we wanted to see and still have time to enjoy the park for a few hours afterwards), and the extra parades and castle shows bring on things that seasoned Disney vets like myself haven't grown tired of(I don't think I've stopped and watched a Disney parade except with people we bring who have never seen them, in years). I would agree that if you already have a hopper or a full day ticket to Magic Kingdom that day maybe a half price discount(or you can use 1 day worth of your park hopper for this experience alone) would make sense.. but for people like me, who are planning around it.. I don't have an issue with it, and in fact really think its a great option.

Am I saying it is perfect, no.. but then again we aren't discussing the $150 "after hours" parties that were being tested this year, these are special events with some changes that you can't get on a normal day. For $79 give or take 15$ based on discounts and days of event, I think this event is right at a fair price point.

Cowboy Steve

We chose to do it again this year. It has become somewhat of a tradition with us now. We have only been going to MVMCP since 2011, so I can't really comment on the event prior to that. The price has gone up without any noticeable added value since 2011. But as previous posters have mentioned, we do seem to get a bunch more in during that time... MK is always crazy busy, but those nights it seems more manageable. And I have to admit... when the gingerbread house goes by in the parade, and I can smell the gingerbread... it makes me a little kid again! lol

GlassHalfFull

So a single park ticket to Universal is over $120 per day now? o_O When did I miss this one? And isn't Universal's Christmas party included in the regular day ticket? Much like Busch Gardens and Sea World's Christmas events as well.

When I include parking that is already included for me at MK, and/or transport its about half price.. either way even at its most expensive the Christmas party is still cheaper than a single day at universal. ;) but either way, it's still cheaper, especially the park to park ticket.. and if I want to experience all the christmas stuff then I need the park to park ticket.

It's been a couple years since I was in Universal for Christmas, but I was not blown away by it and it seemed very understandable that it was included in the regular park admission. It may be better now, as I know their Halloween Party is alot more positively reviewed by those who attend them(adults specifically).

raven

When I include parking that is already included for me at MK, and/or transport its about half price.. either way even at its most expensive the Christmas party is still cheaper than a single day at universal. ;) but either way, it's still cheaper, especially the park to park ticket.. and if I want to experience all the christmas stuff then I need the park to park ticket.
Wouldn't you need to Hopper pass to experience all the Christmas stuff in the parks at WDW as well? A WDW hopper ticket is way more expensive than a Universal park to park pass.

But Busch Gardens had the best Christmas decor and entertainment by far for me. I loved every bit of it!

GlassHalfFull

Wouldn't you need to Hopper pass to experience all the Christmas stuff in the parks at WDW as well? A WDW hopper ticket is way more expensive than a Universal park to park pass.

But Busch Gardens had the best Christmas decor and entertainment by far for me. I loved every bit of it!

I was comparing the Christmas party to your assertion that Universals Christmas stuff is included in the park admission.. neither Studios or Adventure alone are comparable to the Christmas party at MK, combined it may be closer.. again, at least as far as the last time I was there.. Universal at the Holidays is nothing compared to Disney.. if we encompass everything on the property, we at least agree to that correct?

aw14

We will be doing it for the first time when we go in November. Really looking forward to seeing something different

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom