Alaska

21stamps

Original Poster
Trying to figure out a rough budget for our June cruise. It's not on DCL, but thought this would be a good place to ask given most people probably travel with children on this board.

Itinerary is-

Seattle
Juneau
Ketchikan
Skagway
Victoria
Glacier Bay
Seattle

A helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and dog sled excursion is a must. Looking through all of the ports I'm thinking that it's best to budget @ $400 pp person per port. Including food/tips/etc.

Does this sound correct? I'm relatively clueless about Alaska..good thing I have time to learn!

If anyone has tips or experiences on excursions I would love to hear them. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

ChuckElias

The budget per port will depend entirely on the type of excursions that you want to do. If you want to do the "biggies" in each port, then yes, you'll need $400+ per person in a couple of the ports. But we did a bike ride through part of the rain forest and into a glacial plain in Skagway for $75 per person. And my mother-in-law likes bus tours, so we did one of those for another $40 pp. I personally like walking tours better than the bus tours, and we've done several of those (although not in Alaska) and they're also low-cost.

But excursions that require a helicopter or plane ride are usually in the $300-$400 pp range through the excursion company that I use for my clients.

21stamps

Original Poster
The budget per port will depend entirely on the type of excursions that you want to do. If you want to do the "biggies" in each port, then yes, you'll need $400+ per person in a couple of the ports. But we did a bike ride through part of the rain forest and into a glacial plain in Skagway for $75 per person. And my mother-in-law likes bus tours, so we did one of those for another $40 pp. I personally like walking tours better than the bus tours, and we've done several of those (although not in Alaska) and they're also low-cost.

But excursions that require a helicopter or plane ride are usually in the $300-$400 pp range through the excursion company that I use for my clients.

I just read this! Thanks for the input. The bikes in Skagway sound neat! I'll have to check age requirements on that one! Some of the best looking excursions unfortunately have age restrictions.

The helicopter/glacier/dog sled is probably the "biggest" one price wise. We'll also be doing a train ride. I'm trying to see where I can fit in a plane ride, but can't seem to find one that I like. I want to do active excursions more than just sightseeing ones. Trying to find the perfect combo.

For our pre and post trip-

I've been searching Seattle hotels and am leaning towards Inn at the Market. Do you have any experience with this hotel?
Plan is- 2 or 3 nights Seattle pre cruise. Then afterwards renting a car and heading to Olympic National Park. Is renting a car easy near port?. I've been searching road trip routes, would like to do the mountain loop in 3 nights. Any experience on that as well? I have never been to the Northwest, and don't forsee us returning in the near future..so trying to check as much off the list as possible.

Also, we will be there over 4th of July, I know a lot of people would recommend Seattle for that date, but I'm ok missing the festivities and being in a national park.

Last edited:

ChuckElias

I've been searching Seattle hotels and am leaning towards Inn at the Market. Do you have any experience with this hotel?
I do not, sorry. I've never been to Seattle, unfortunately, and I haven't placed any of my clients there. It does seem to have very good reviews, but I can't give you any more info than that without doing some research :(

Plan is- 2 or 3 nights Seattle pre cruise. Then afterwards renting a car and heading to Olympic National Park. Is renting a car easy near port?. [/quote]There are two cruise ports in Seattle, and I think it will be very easy from the Bell St. Cruise port, and not quite as easy from Pier 91. Without knowing which cruise line you'll be on, I'm not sure where you'll be. But I would also think that some of them may have shuttles to the pier(s).

I've been searching road trip routes, would like to do the mountain loop in 3 nights. Any experience on that as well?
No, sorry. :( I'm feeling very inadequate today. . .

Also, we will be there over 4th of July, I know a lot of people would recommend Seattle for that date, but I'm ok missing the festivities and being in a national park.
This is a purely personal preference, but I would 100% choose the National Park over a downtown event.

21stamps

Original Poster
I do not, sorry. I've never been to Seattle, unfortunately, and I haven't placed any of my clients there. It does seem to have very good reviews, but I can't give you any more info than that without doing some research :(

Plan is- 2 or 3 nights Seattle pre cruise. Then afterwards renting a car and heading to Olympic National Park. Is renting a car easy near port?.
There are two cruise ports in Seattle, and I think it will be very easy from the Bell St. Cruise port, and not quite as easy from Pier 91. Without knowing which cruise line you'll be on, I'm not sure where you'll be. But I would also think that some of them may have shuttles to the pier(s).

No, sorry. :( I'm feeling very inadequate today. . .

This is a purely personal preference, but I would 100% choose the National Park over a downtown event.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! We'll be on the NCL Pearl. RT out of Seattle including Glacier Bay.

I've asked for hotel help on CC too..I'm trying to shelf this bc I'm knee deep in Disney planning..but it worries me that I'm so unfamiliar with that part of the country. Luckily I have time to learn!

21stamps

Original Poster
@ChuckElias

Friends of mine decided to come in this cruise with me, I logged in to my account so we could see my stateroom and they could book one next door, or as close as possible...

I noticed that all excursions are able to be booked now. Is that a glitch? Do I need to book them now? (Hopefully not!)

ChuckElias

I noticed that all excursions are able to be booked now. Is that a glitch? Do I need to book them now? (Hopefully not!)
June is a long way away for excursions to be open for booking. Which cruise line are you on? Are you booking through the cruise line or through an outside vendor?

Without knowing your specifics, I would guess that it's too early for excursion bookings. BUT if the cruise line or vendor really has opened up reservations for excursions, and you want one of the very popular ones, it couldn't hurt to get it booked. Make sure you ask about when you actually get charged for the excursion; and if you have to pay at the time of reservation, make sure to clarify the cancellation/refund policy.

21stamps

Original Poster
June is a long way away for excursions to be open for booking. Which cruise line are you on? Are you booking through the cruise line or through an outside vendor?

Without knowing your specifics, I would guess that it's too early for excursion bookings. BUT if the cruise line or vendor really has opened up reservations for excursions, and you want one of the very popular ones, it couldn't hurt to get it booked. Make sure you ask about when you actually get charged for the excursion; and if you have to pay at the time of reservation, make sure to clarify the cancellation/refund policy.
NCL. 3 through the cruise line. I would rather not book them now unless necessary. Maybe I should call and ask why they are showing available.

Here's a photo of my "Explore and Plan" page. These excursions were not showing a month ago.
image.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
Bumping this..

Going to try and buy some gear now for the June trip..found a pair of hiking shoes on sale.
Also got a pair of binoculars for my son, but haven't wanted to spend the money yet for mine. Any recommendations?

Tips for where to look for deals or what mandatory items would be much appreciated!!

Maelstrom Troll

I would highly recommend a quality hard shell with room for a vest or sweater underneath. We did our cruise in early June and although it was mostly sunny and beautiful, it did get very windy and occasionally rainy. Layers are very important as the day might start in the 40's and end in the low 80's. Otherwise, we probably overpacked with gloves and knit caps. I would check out REI's online outlet for good deals. Enjoy the trip, we cant wait to go back.

Attachments

• IMG_7026.JPG
    IMG_7026.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 34

21stamps

Original Poster
I would highly recommend a quality hard shell with room for a vest or sweater underneath. We did our cruise in early June and although it was mostly sunny and beautiful, it did get very windy and occasionally rainy. Layers are very important as the day might start in the 40's and end in the low 80's. Otherwise, we probably overpacked with gloves and knit caps. I would check out REI's online outlet for good deals. Enjoy the trip, we cant wait to go back.

Thank you so much for responding!!! I have never been to Alaska or the Pacific Northwest so I need all of the advice that I can get!

Your photo is breathtaking! As much as I hate the cold, the scenery and experiences should make it worth with it.

Can I get your input on an excursion? I am leaning towards a kayak trip in Orca Bay. You ride a boat to the location and then get in your kayaks in the water. The photos online look amazing and the experience sounds awesome. Whales right next to the kayaks!!

Age restrictions are 7 and up, and it is highly recommended to have 2 adults in a kayak with a child in the middle.
My son will have just turned 7, but we won't have another adult in the kayak with us.
Friends and coworkers think I'm crazy to choose that excursion.. what do you think? Did you do anything like that?

21stamps

Original Poster
How amazing would this be?!?!

IMG_0400.PNG
IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG

Admittedly this particular photo below kind of freaks me out..I'm a relatively strong kayaker, but these are very large kayaks and my son wouldn't be a huge help in stealing quickly.

IMG_0402.JPG

SSH

Hi 21 Stamps! Following this thread - I'm of no help - planning our very first Alaska cruise ourselves in May 2018 - same RT Seattle itinerary as you, only with Princess. Have you been on the cruise critic boards yet? I live there when I'm not here :D. They have dedicated Alaska forums with hundreds and hundreds of answers by experienced cruisers to questions just like these. Plus dedicated NCL forums for all your ship-specific questions too. I love CC!

Bibbobboo2u

We have booked a September 2018 DCL Alaska cruise, but I am concerned about availability of excursions that time of year after reading online info, which indicates that many things "shut down" after Labor Day (the start date for our cruise). Has anyone taken this cruise in September, and did you find that you had fewer excursion choices due to the time of year?

21stamps

Original Poster
Hi 21 Stamps! Following this thread - I'm of no help - planning our very first Alaska cruise ourselves in May 2018 - same RT Seattle itinerary as you, only with Princess. Have you been on the cruise critic boards yet? I live there when I'm not here :D. They have dedicated Alaska forums with hundreds and hundreds of answers by experienced cruisers to questions just like these. Plus dedicated NCL forums for all your ship-specific questions too. I love CC!
Hi! I just switched to a Western Caribbean. As much as I know my kiddo would love Alaska, I just think it's better to wait a few more years. I'm not comfortably doing the Orca Bay kayakaing with just me and him in a kayak, and honestly I think the NCL Pearl will be boring for him. Also I had planned an Olympic Peninsula trip with the one.. I think it's a good idea to wait until he can hike a little farther. Alaska is a one time thing for me, we'll wait so that we can both really enjoy it.
Please report back about yours, I would love to read it!! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time! :)

@ChuckElias I switched to the Escape. Have you sailed on that one? What about Harvest Caye? Any tips?

21stamps

Original Poster
No, sorry. I've only sailed on the Breakaway. I've toured the Dawn and the Gem, but not the Escape, as its home port is Miami, and I'm located in the Northeast.
It looks humongous.. and no Mid Ship elevators..that's so odd to me. We have an aft balcony, hoping to use the stairs to/from the waterpark. I'm a little intimidated.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom