News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

erwinalber4

And you can bet that Cantina will have a 3 to 6 month reservation waiting list because I have a feeling it will be very small and not designed for the normal WDW guest masses.
I'd be willing to bet no matter what the size is we're going to have that problem. Of course if they are shooting for authenticity it will be too small for sure. Just my thoughts.

Either of the two sound pretty cool despite the Epcot theme and I would probably ride either one and like it as an attraction. I am just happy Epcot is getting anything at this point. It used to be my second favorite park behind MK and now it's only above DHS. Once work there is done that puts Epcot at my least favorite and that is just unacceptable to me. So I'm glad to see at least something is happening and even though it's different I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I'm still grieving over the news that Epcot's original mission is dead though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And you can bet that Cantina will have a 3 to 6 month reservation waiting list because I have a feeling it will be very small and not designed for the normal WDW guest masses.

As a cantina shouldn't it be small to be in theme like the shops at WWoHP?

Think of the one you know, but bigger. And with other areas inspired by the 1977 version. Plus there will be a non Cantina QSR.

PorterRedkey

Cantina should be TSR.
As always, I appreciate all of the information you provide, but I a getting mixed signals on this one.
The Disney Food blog seems to think there will be a Cantina and a Dinner club. I could see this just being in the Cantina, or is the Dinner club a QSR?

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/...ner-club-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

and the original speculation is here about half way down: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/...wars-land-restaurant-details-and-concept-art/

Can you clarify any of this?

Star-Wars-Land-Concept-Art-screenshot-101.jpg

r-1461168128-StarWarsLand6.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As always, I appreciate all of the information you provide, but I a getting mixed signals on this one.
The Disney Food blog seems to think there will be a Cantina and a Dinner club. I could see this just being in the Cantina, or is the Dinner club a QSR?

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/...ner-club-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

and the original speculation is here about half way down: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2016/...wars-land-restaurant-details-and-concept-art/

Can you clarify any of this?

Star-Wars-Land-Concept-Art-screenshot-101.jpg

r-1461168128-StarWarsLand6.jpg
I don't have that detail yet. Though the Cantina complex is quite large. With several interior spaces.

Ralphlaw

One of my major clients is a county fair. A few years ago, they spent a ton of money in what they call the acgricultuiral discovery center. It was definitely in the tens of millions. The building is huge and has a few sections. A giant combine simulator that is in an actual full sized combine. A small theater. few stalls where expectant cattle are in pens for live birth demonstrations. A small dairy to demonstrate milking by hand and modern milking machines. Then you have a laser guided robot that milks a fake cow. Every time I walk into that building I think is what I feel like the land would evolve into if EPCOT grew with intelligent visitors in mind. Of course the boat ride would still be there but there would be more to it.

But nope... We get lasers and sci fi box office smashes.

The big question: Has the Ag Discovery Center been a success? I sure hope so, but an investment like that requires a lot of people walking through to pay for it.

I can't help but to think of "Roger and Me" , in which the city of Flint, Michigan built a big touristy auto tech center that utterly bombed, closing its doors within a year or so. If you build it, they may not come.

Indeed, The Land pavilion would be great with such a place. Many of us have brain-stormed big ideas for Epcot on these boards. Thinking them up is easy, implementing them is hard, but getting them past the bean-counters may be the hardest of all. Nowadays, Disney is worried that their can't miss ideas may indeed miss. They've had many bombs in the past, and those failures (or at least disappointments) have likely made them shy away from some of these bigger and better ideas. Movies like John Carter, attractions like Mission Space, and wienies like the Sorcerer's hat at Studios were expensive disappointments.

Personally, I probably do not want to see a cow giving birth on my vacation, but the combine thing could be awesome, especially if you could take some grain stalks, put them through the machine, grind the seeds into flour, and make a loaf of bread out of them. My kids would get a huge kick out of that. Yeah, the whole process might take a half hour or so and require a lot of CMs, but how cool!

We always enjoy the Livin' with the Land boat tour, mostly because it's a relaxing break. We especially like the domes part, with the unique plants. I assume this is the probably the last of the original attractions from Epcot Center that's still running. I like it, but I must admit that a park full of basically "ride around and look at stuff" attractions would not be very exciting. From what I hear, the original Epcot Center was a lot of that, and today's guests want more thrilling experiences. Innoventions they say was more hands-on, but thrillier attractions are what people expect today. And slapping an IP on it helps satisfy the bean counters that it will pay for itself.

hpyhnt 1000

We always enjoy the Livin' with the Land boat tour, mostly because it's a relaxing break. We especially like the domes part, with the unique plants. I assume this is the probably the last of the original attractions from Epcot Center that's still running. I like it, but I must admit that a park full of basically "ride around and look at stuff" attractions would not be very exciting. From what I hear, the original Epcot Center was a lot of that, and today's guests want more thrilling experiences. Innoventions they say was more hands-on, but thrillier attractions are what people expect today. And slapping an IP on it helps satisfy the bean counters that it will pay for itself.

The most "original" EPCOT Center attraction is actually Impressions de France. Pretty sure the film is literally unchanged (apart from going digital a few years back) from opening day 1982.

Living with the Land originally debuted as Listen to the Land. Same overall ride, but different beginning and ending show scenes, plus it had live narration and an original song.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The most "original" EPCOT Center attraction is actually Impressions de France. Pretty sure the film is literally unchanged (apart from going digital a few years back) from opening day 1982.

Living with the Land originally debuted as Listen to the Land. Same overall ride, but different beginning and ending show scenes, plus it had live narration and an original song.
Yep. IDF is gloriously untouched aside from looking and sounding like new. Flares and all. And that's it attraction-wise.

bhg469

The big question: Has the Ag Discovery Center been a success? I sure hope so, but an investment like that requires a lot of people walking through to pay for it.

I can't help but to think of "Roger and Me" , in which the city of Flint, Michigan built a big touristy auto tech center that utterly bombed, closing its doors within a year or so. If you build it, they may not come.

Indeed, The Land pavilion would be great with such a place. Many of us have brain-stormed big ideas for Epcot on these boards. Thinking them up is easy, implementing them is hard, but getting them past the bean-counters may be the hardest of all. Nowadays, Disney is worried that their can't miss ideas may indeed miss. They've had many bombs in the past, and those failures (or at least disappointments) have likely made them shy away from some of these bigger and better ideas. Movies like John Carter, attractions like Mission Space, and wienies like the Sorcerer's hat at Studios were expensive disappointments.

Personally, I probably do not want to see a cow giving birth on my vacation, but the combine thing could be awesome, especially if you could take some grain stalks, put them through the machine, grind the seeds into flour, and make a loaf of bread out of them. My kids would get a huge kick out of that. Yeah, the whole process might take a half hour or so and require a lot of CMs, but how cool!

Well they have a lot of foot traffic but those sections all have representatives on site to explain and sell this equipment to people in the agricultural field. Something that Epcot would not benefit from but us "city folk" still like to learn and see these monstrous machines and how they work. I recall seeing an orange processing plant when driving from naples to Orlando with my wife. The entire side of this structure was visible from the road and you could see millions of oranges shifting down the system of trap doors that moved the fruit down the building. we stopped to watch it for a bit and thought it was super neat... My point of all this is that even though we aren't farmers and we will never be in the market for a combine or an orange processing plant, our attention was grabbed by this. We don't need aliens and lasers to keep us entertained. An educational park still deserves to exist but the current regime doesnt seem to believe that to be true.

Ralphlaw

Well they have a lot of foot traffic but those sections all have representatives on site to explain and sell this equipment to people in the agricultural field. Something that Epcot would not benefit from but us "city folk" still like to learn and see these monstrous machines and how they work. I recall seeing an orange processing plant when driving from naples to Orlando with my wife. The entire side of this structure was visible from the road and you could see millions of oranges shifting down the system of trap doors that moved the fruit down the building. we stopped to watch it for a bit and thought it was super neat... My point of all this is that even though we aren't farmers and we will never be in the market for a combine or an orange processing plant, our attention was grabbed by this. We don't need aliens and lasers to keep us entertained. An educational park still deserves to exist but the current regime doesnt seem to believe that to be true.

True. The old World's Fairs brought together country pavilions like World Showcase does, but also were a place to show off the latest gadgetry. A century ago, telephones, steam engines, cars, lightbulbs and hundreds of other inventions were shown off at World's Fairs. The theme of the Chicago Worlds Fair was, "A Century of Progress". I think stuff like that is still possible, but the perception is that the public might not show up. Oh well. Times change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom