Most treasured Disney Souvenir?

KikoKea

Aww...that's sweet. Was it a spontaneous thing - did you happen to walk by and see it in the window or while shopping? Or did he surprise you with it?
I had been looking at earrings on the racks, then we looked at the jewelry in the cases. I liked that one because it was simple. They found my size and he bought it as my anniversary present. :)

Smiley/OCD

As I wait impatiently for Nov/Dec room-only discounts, AK hours, show schedules, so I can actually plan the rest of my trip, I started thinking back to past trips - which were the most special - and out of all the stuff I bought or received over the years, which WDW item survived and is still treasured to this day. Then I started wondering the same thing about everyone here.

What's the one souvenir that has meant the most to you? And what's the backstory behind it? I know family photographs are priceless - that goes without saying - but I'm curious about a particular trinket or gift that captured your heart or reminds you of a special trip.

I'll go first - I'm cheating because I have 3 actually - sorry! In priority order:

#1 A custom piece of caricature art drawn by a Downtown Disney artist. They were only supposed to do set poses - you pick from a list of scenes. My DH had just proposed to me the night before in MK on the skyride during fireworks. We were strolling through DTD the next afternoon and when he saw the artist, he asked him if he could draw that scene so we had a keepsake of the memory - and he did! It's amazing - he drew the two of us in a skyride car, with DH presenting the ring and me examining it with a magnifying glass, with a skeptical look on my face - it was funny and touching at the same time. I had it matted/framed and treasured to this day.

#2 A oversized coffee mug my father in law bought me right outside the Hoop De Do Revue - he took the entire family to the HDDR every year for 10-15 years - it was tradition - man how he loved that show! Even as he got older and didn't go into the parks anymore, he would go just to camp in Fort Wilderness and treat the family to the HDDR. He was a sweet man and sadly just passed away last year. That mug always makes me smile and think about those wonderful dinners.

#3. This one's pure nostalgia: I have three "flip books" - longtime WDWers may remember these. They were tiny little booklets about the size of a credit card, with a bunch of pages you flipped through quickly to see how an animated drawing "comes to life'. I loved those silly little things - had a Donald, Mickey and I think a Pluto. They're packed away safely.

What about you guys - what's meant the most to you and stood the test of time?

My Around the World at Epcot pin I received after taking the tour...That was the (now discontinued) tour you were able to go on with a Segway...After you were trained on riding the Segway, they took you out on a tour of the World Showcase in the morning before that half of the park opened. At the end of the tour, everyone received a limited edition pin...one of the BEST birthday gifts my wife ever gave me!

iYazmo

My family received 2 champagne glasses from Cinderella's Royal Table when they overcooked my father's steak. Some of the most gorgeous champagne glasses that I've ever seen. They're only taken out for very special occasions.

I also have a Year of a Million Dreams Mickey Ears hat that I still treasure to this day.

Not as impressive as everyone else's but I'm a simple guy.

SSH

Original Poster
My Around the World at Epcot pin I received after taking the tour...That was the (now discontinued) tour you were able to go on with a Segway...After you were trained on riding the Segway, they took you out on a tour of the World Showcase in the morning before that half of the park opened. At the end of the tour, everyone received a limited edition pin...one of the BEST birthday gifts my wife ever gave me!
That sounds amazing. We did our first segway tour when visiting Long Beach, CA - would love to do that at WDW. Never heard of that - wished they still offered it.

SSH

Original Poster
My family received 2 champagne glasses from Cinderella's Royal Table when they overcooked my father's steak. Some of the most gorgeous champagne glasses that I've ever seen. They're only taken out for very special occasions.

I also have a Year of a Million Dreams Mickey Ears hat that I still treasure to this day.

Not as impressive as everyone else's but I'm a simple guy.

Simple is the best. But those glasses sound beautiful.

yaksplat

I have a glow in the dark shrunken skull head with long hair from the Pirates of the Caribbean from the late 80's and a cap gun pistol from when guns were allowed to look like guns. Made with metal and wood.

KeithVH

I was going to say this pin:
upload_2016-8-18_18-15-21.jpeg

But you have to see it in context with what my DW did:

upload_2016-8-18_18-18-39.jpeg

The sign is one from DL. We don't talk about how it got from there into the frame . . .

MagicalMommy

Mine is a Disney coffee mug I got on our first big family trip. We visited all four parks, so I wanted something that reminded me of that. I looked in nearly every gift shop during our week-long trip and couldn't find what I wanted. On our last day, at Hollywood Studios, before leaving the park to head to the airport, I found exactly what I had been looking for. I know that sounds so simple, but I can't help but smile on the mornings when I use that coffee mug!

pilka214

I have a full size Haunted Mansion poster above my bed. I bought it from a second hand seller, I have no idea what year it was printed or how it was originally acquired, but it's pretty legit.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
The multiple sketches I've picked up from Art of Disney stores over the years; they're the only way you can get merchandise for certain movies.

rob0519

I have two that I think are unique.
The first is a small cardboard matchbox with a sticker of a lady bug that says " Beneficial Insect Release - Disney Pest Management". I think it's from 1997 or 1998. WDW had a Ladybug release program at the resorts. This one was held at the Wilderness Lodge. Someone from Pest Management would talk about the benefits of Ladybugs on the environment and then pass out these boxes, each containing one to three bugs for the kids to release into a plant/flower bed.

The second, is a limited edition print of the history of the Disney Family in Chicago. My daughter and I got it at a D23 preview during the restoration of the home where Walt was born. It was a one time only event and there were less than 100 people.

DisneyGirl3820

A small black box with a glow-in-the-dark spooky hand that comes out and grabs a coin if you place it on top. I bought this at the Magic Shop on Main Street (along with a can of peanuts which had snakes that jump out when you open it) when Disney World first opened. That shop was so unique and I wish they had more stores like that today. It was truly "magical."

s-l300.jpg

montyz81

Mine is this:
il_fullxfull.649138301_kllp.jpg

I got one when I went to the park in March 1983 and had it on my wall for years as a kid. When I went to college, I took down many of my wall hangings and stored them in a box in the attic. My father went in and cleaned it all out and threw many of my things away including the box this map was in. I have since replaced it with a much smaller version that I got off Ebay and it is now hanging on my wall framed. To this day, this has always reminded me how in awe I was of technology and how Disney it applied it to this park in particular. It brings back many memories of that specific trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom