News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Brad Bishop

There's something that strikes me in all of this, and I don't know whether to call it cynicism or short-sightedness, but it's really noticeable to me how Disney seems to create these self-fulfilling prophecies time and time again wherein they allow older attractions to age and rot then use that as a reason to completely get rid of them. It happened in World Showcase with El Rio del Tiempo and Maelstrom, it appears to be happening here, it still could happen at Universe of Energy, etc.

It happened with 20,000 Leagues. They let it fall into disrepair until they could say, "Yep - not worth fixing!" Then they let it sit for another decade+.

If you want to get rid of a ride it's a great way to go: it makes your bottom line look better (you get a bonus - a reward for letting this happen) as you're not maintaining what you have and you have the excuse of, "It's too far gone," which you can use for the fans. You can also re-use the area for the new hot IP, cut costs because you're re-purposing things and get yourself a 2nd bonus ("Look at all the money I saved from taking a dilapidated ride and turning it into an IP profit house! Where's my bonus??? I'm a genius! Promote me!")

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Would they really close GMR before TSL opened? How much can they close at one time and still expect guests to want to pay to go to DHS?
Yes they really will.

Another vote for why this should be a new build and not a replacement.

The Mouse LPS will be a very good ride. Maybe even excellent. But it shouldn't be at the expense of anything else, let alone the GMR.

Magenta Panther

It happened with 20,000 Leagues. They let it fall into disrepair until they could say, "Yep - not worth fixing!" Then they let it sit for another decade+.

If you want to get rid of a ride it's a great way to go: it makes your bottom line look better (you get a bonus - a reward for letting this happen) as you're not maintaining what you have and you have the excuse of, "It's too far gone," which you can use for the fans. You can also re-use the area for the new hot IP, cut costs because you're re-purposing things and get yourself a 2nd bonus ("Look at all the money I saved from taking a dilapidated ride and turning it into an IP profit house! Where's my bonus??? I'm a genius! Promote me!")

See, this reasoning is what makes me a little fearful (if I may digress) about Mickey's Philharmagic. The film needs to be updated, but TDO hasn't done that, and so now the film is blurry and a little off-sync (at least it was the 3 times I watched it during my last visit to WDW). I could never understand that, given how popular the attraction is...but if TDO is aiming to replace it...:eek: Man, unless it's something better (and genuine Disney) I'd HATE that. It's one of the most magical experiences in the parks IMO.

Magenta Panther

Then they should have closed that ridiculous SW memorabilia exhibit aka Animation Building, and put this attraction right there! This is one of those moments where I wish I was a fly on the wall when this was discussed and agreed upon.

Or brought back the exhibit altogether, updated. It's appalling that a celebration of Disney animation was replaced by one of Iger's purchases. Makes me sick.

RobbinsDad

Yes they really will.

The Mouse LPS will be a very good ride. Maybe even excellent. But it shouldn't be at the expense of anything else, let alone the GMR.
Then I think they have to do something new to generate interest in the meantime. Replacing BATB with a new show seems like one easy solution.

Bacon

Unknown-2.jpeg

CanadianGordon

I'm sad but intrigued by this news. It'll be interesting, though I'm aghast at Disney wanting to not create signature attractions that last a lifetime.
The poster that commented about Pirates and Mansion not getting upkeep over the years hits home.

I'm all for a Mickey ride, but c'mon do something DIFFERENT than a damn retheme.

FigmentJedi

Toad is safe (from this anyway)

Yes they really will.

If they're condensing Toontown for that Fantasyland expansion, could the Mickey ride be Roger's new neighbor?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom