Haunted Mansion Refurb

dizda

The queue was great before they added the FP+, and on a slower day, when it wasn't blistering hot. You could bypass the new queue stuff or check it out at your leisure. That option didn't last long though. Too bad as I found the queue fun during late evenings. Not so much the other 90% of the time.
There really should be a bypass if they insist on the graveyard stuff.

No Name

Many people enjoy the graveyard queue. I would say it's moreso aimed at younger children, but I'm not so sure, since I've seen just about an equal number of kids and adults playing the instruments and doing all that stuff.

I mildly enjoy the queue itself. What I really enjoy is seeing the smiles of others who are more than just mildly enjoying it.

If you don't like it, what's the harm? Just don't bother with it. It's an option, do ot or don't do it. If the interactive stuff holds some people up in line, who cares? It's not like you wind up waiting longer because of it, no. The line is just as fast or slow.

I don't understand the hatred for these kind of queues because they should have absolutely no negative effect on you.

dizda

There is, it's called FastPass+. On days when the line is short enough they do let you cut through. But those days are few and far between.

It wasn't necessary in the first place, but there you are.

I meant a permanent bypass of the "interactive" part of the queue for the standby line.

Last edited:

No Name

Anyone know if this is just a regular refurbishment or if they're making any changes? I assume just a regular refurb.

Because they're hideous and actually ruin the experience. Nothing like standing outside in the 100 degree FL heat and being forced to listen to children and adults obnoxiously beating, screaming, and concocting other disorder because they're incapable of waiting in a line without having something at their finger tips.
Well, rather than being bothered by them, I actually enjoy watching the other people have fun. I'd rather listen to what you described above than listen to children crying because they're tired and bored.

If there was nothing like it, people would be inclined to just play on their cell phones to pass the time. That's what they'd choose to have at their fingertips. I suppose doing that isn't bothersome to those around them, but it's also unsocial and something you could be doing at home.

So I think these kind of queues have a positive effect on the parks and people's day as a whole. And I've never been bothered by them.

ToTBellHop

Anyone know if this is just a regular refurbishment or if they're making any changes? I assume just a regular refurb.

Well, rather than being bothered by them, I actually enjoy watching the other people have fun. I'd rather listen to what you described above than listen to children crying because they're tired and bored.

If there was nothing like it, people would be inclined to just play on their cell phones to pass the time. That's what they'd choose to have at their fingertips. I suppose doing that isn't bothersome to those around them, but it's also unsocial and something you could be doing at home.

So I think these kind of queues have a positive effect on the parks and people's day as a whole. And I've never been bothered by them.
The queue actually does create capacity issues. I have been backed up in the graveyard in the past only to eventually arrive at the entrance to find it empty up there with the cast member trying to get people to hurry up to get into the pre show. But the pre show is on a timer and would start before the stretching gallery was full.

I have observed this at Pooh as well. Interactive queues that shut off when lines are shorter (Space and Soarin) work a bit better in this respect.

Honestly, my biggest issue is that my kids want to touch everything lol. And so do the other kids. What a germy mess.

FWIW, I cannot recall EVER crying because I was bored at WDW as a kid. How much do today's kids have to be stimulated to be excited??? Back before FP+ when HM didn't routinely have 50-min waits, you could wait 15 minutes or so in a short line and then the actual Mansion was all the entertainment I needed. Even when I was 5. But I guess I'm biased.

tirian

The queue actually does create capacity issues. I have been backed up in the graveyard in the past only to eventually arrive at the entrance to find it empty up there with the cast member trying to get people to hurry up to get into the pre show. But the pre show is on a timer and would start before the stretching gallery was full.

I have observed this at Pooh as well. Interactive queues that shut off when lines are shorter (Space and Soarin) work a bit better in this respect.

Honestly, my biggest issue is that my kids want to touch everything lol. And so do the other kids. What a germy mess.

FWIW, I cannot recall EVER crying because I was bored at WDW as a kid. How much do today's kids have to be stimulated to be excited??? Back before FP+ when HM didn't routinely have 50-min waits, you could wait 15 minutes or so in a short line and then the actual Mansion was all the entertainment I needed. Even when I was 5. But I guess I'm biased.
FP+ has created artificially long queues at people-eating attractions (e.g. POTC, HM, IASW). There's a reason Disney opened Shanghai DL with the old paper system: FP+ has caused many operational issues.

180º

I may have mentioned this before, but I wish they would rip out all the props and make that area a dedicated, covered switchback queue, allowing for the removal of the canopy in front of the mansion and opening up that bottleneck just a bit.

No Name

Is the preshow really on a timer? I suppose a mansion butler would know better than I do, so I'll take your word for it. I just didn't know that. Either way, there is always a line after the preshow before the actual doom buggies, so shouldn't it not make a difference?

I guess the interactive stuff should be placed far enough away from the entrance to the ride. And the germ issue, I understand. Though it's no different than everyone holding a bar in a rollercoaster or everyone touching the same doorknobs. They should have good maintenance to keep things clean.

And alas, the maintance costs are a big reason (I think the biggest reason) that they have let up on buidling interactive queues.

But I still think they very much add to the experience. And if the queues aren't interactive, they should at least avoid being boring. Mermaid's queue, Frozen's, Star Tours's, TSMM's... I like all of those too.

FP+ has created artificially long queues at people-eating attractions (e.g. POTC, HM, IASW). There's a reason Disney opened Shanghai DL with the old paper system: FP+ has caused many operational issues.

Well FP+ would avoid that problem if they simply didn't offer it for Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Small World. In Shanghai, they don't offer fastpass for Pirates. What about the actual system itself would cause operational issues?

Well I'm glad you're able to find enjoyment with them. I'm a heartless ice prince, so things like this do not bring joy to me :angelic:
Haha well I have my own things I can't stand. This just isn't one of them.

FigmentForver96

Besides the whole goofy interactive element throws off the story and build up to that story. Starting off we are led to believe that the house is creepy and off putting. The stretching room, endless hallways and corridors continue to push the narrative. It isn't until the ghost unveil themselves that we find the comedy in the mansion.

The queue throws the whole thing off. And this may offend the little ones but I don't really care if your child is scared and this is a fun way to distract them. If they can't handle it then they don't need to ride. The story goes before making sure Little Timmy has his fun and doesn't get scared.

NearTheEars

Because they're hideous and actually ruin the experience. Nothing like standing outside in the 100 degree FL heat and being forced to listen to children and adults obnoxiously beating, screaming, and concocting other disorder because they're incapable of waiting in a line without having something at their finger tips.

Assuming you avoid Pooh at all costs then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom