From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So do you think people who live in the southeast don't know that bears, coyotes, deer etc don't exist up north? One because they learned about it in school, probably read a few books in their life, probably watch the news, and probably know a little about where they are traveling to besides their immediate destination.

No way do I think it's 90%. I just can't believe that. I think more than 10% deserve a lot more credit than you are giving them.
You miss read what I said. What I'm saying is that 90%+ of the people who are visiting WDW know there are gators in FL but less than half of those people expect to see one in the Seven Seas Lagoon. People expect WDW to be a safe and sterile environment. It's not the same thing as visiting the Everglades or even a beach or state park.

21stamps

You miss read what I said. What I'm saying is that 90%+ of the people who are visiting WDW know there are gators in FL but less than half of those people expect to see one in the Seven Seas Lagoon. People expect WDW to be a safe and sterile environment. It's not the same thing as visiting the Everglades or even a beach or state park.
I didn't expect for one to come ashore on Seven Seas Lagoon. But not because I think it's a sterile environment. Do you really think most people are under the impression that alligators are only in the Everglades?

I would love an actual poll on that. Do people really think Walt Disney World is so powerful that they have created a "safe and sterile environment" from the nature within and around it's grounds? Shockingly it seems to be true. But how many? I'm truly hoping that it is the most slim minority of travelers.

I'm completely flabbergasted. I love Disney, but I've never looked at it as anything more than a place in Orlando. Not an actual magical world.

PhotoDave219

1 Disney was able to catch 5 alligators within hours of the attack in SSL, so even if they lied there are still gators there 2 What does that have to do with anything? 3 It wasn't news as it was internal, plus people have also spotted alligators at Gf & Poly, there's a youtube video of an alligator trying to get into Splash Mountain etc.

There were no signs saying not to feed the gators. They do have them at The Shades of Green which is across the street btw.

The splash Mountain video is about 10 years.

21stamps

This is way too far out of my realm of logic.

You two have fun with your theories and dumbing down most American and international travelers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I didn't expect for one to come ashore on Seven Seas Lagoon. But not because I think it's a sterile environment. Do you really think most people are under the impression that alligators are only in the Everglades?

I would love an actual poll on that. Do people really think Walt Disney World is so powerful that they have created a "safe and sterile environment" from the nature within and around it's grounds? Shockingly it seems to be true. But how many? I'm truly hoping that it is the most slim minority of travelers.

I'm completely flabbergasted. I love Disney, but I've never looked at it as anything more than a place in Orlando. Not an actual magical world.
Those numbers are just my opinion/guess. I don't know if they have ever done a poll like that.

WDW is considered by most guests to be a safe place. IMHO, if this tragedy occurred at a state park in FL it would not be as big a news story. It wouldn't be any less tragic for the family, but it would have been much less shocking to the public.

Daveeeeed

You two have fun with your theories and dumbing down most American and international travelers.
Oh my goodness, who cares if his numbers are 5% points off. He said +++++. The point of the matter was just because you know there are gators in Florida does not mean you associate them with being in SSL. Which is very very true.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I didn't think it was all that complicated of an opinion. Not sure what you don't get. I don't think what I said is dumbing anyone down either.

21stamps

Oh my goodness, who cares if his numbers are 5% points off. He said +++++. The point of the matter was just because you know there are gators in Florida does not mean you associate them with being in SSL. Which is very very true.
5%? Probably more like 85% off. Pretty big difference.

This could go around in circles forever. I'm truly done. If you see me respond again please throw this post in my face. No joke.

No one expects them to be there. No one expects to get killed walking near the home- which has happened. No one expects alligator attacks period. Especially bc many of the attacks are provoked. The ones that aren't are always even more tragic. This one? The most tragic situation yet. Because of where it happened. Because it's so shocking to imagine that happening while you are with your family at Disney. But not because Disney is a bubble, just because it's so unimaginably sad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not worried for my own sake, but the many people that don't connect that there could be gators in SSL. NEVER ONCE did I say once that Disney somehow has magical powers, but contrary to what you think most people don't think there are gators in SSL.

Standards are not about how many have the knowledge, but what should be expected to know.

It is just the fact how you are relatively worry free on vacation, and lack of education which doesn't make you stupid it just means people have to be told gators are in there. The fact of the matter is no one should be expected to know there are gators there as it is an international destination.

It's called education... And yes I expect adults to have it.... Even ones that come from overseas... They have schools and tv there too!

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you've read my posts you'd know that I know that. Very true, but it is also a fact that Gators come back more when you feed them and associate you with food which is a very bad thing.

But a fed gator isn't enough for this attack to happen... You need the other factors. Hence, you can't hang the whole thing on gators being fed

flynnibus

Premium Member

Funny people aren't upset at Disney for preventing the rain

Clearly Disney needs to bring back discovery island so it can remind people there are living things in these woods and waters.

I mean if this was the bellagio lagoon... Maybe. But are we really saying guests can't digest those are REAL woods and swamps...? God help us

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know TDO doesn't want to hear this, but this story isn't going away anytime soon.

They should run out of steam relatively quickly when their parroting of the same old rehashes gets old for Facebook

I'm waiting for the ties to the dak illness and other completely unrelated things

Daveeeeed

Standards are not about how many have the knowledge, but what should be expected to know.

It's called education... And yes I expect adults to have it.... Even ones that come from overseas... They have schools and tv there too!
It's not about that. Nearly everyone knows that gators are in Florida, Everglades, swamps. That is not in any way associated with a beach at Disney world on Seven Seas Lagoon. That is what people have been debating about this entire time. I'm so happy that you know and myself and others that there are gators in there, but for the average tourist especially not from the south or international, there's no expectation to know that they would be there. They have signs warning of gators at the shades of green which is across the street. Why shouldn't they have them at poly or gf? Disney basically admitted they did wrong. People that don't know that there aren't gators in SSL aren't stupid they just have no reason to need to know. I've said this at least 4 times already. So if anyone replies to my messages please tell them what I just said as I am done responding.

Club Cooloholic

Funny people aren't upset at Disney for preventing the rain

Clearly Disney needs to bring back discovery island so it can remind people there are living things in these woods and waters.

I mean if this was the bellagio lagoon... Maybe. But are we really saying guests can't digest those are REAL woods and swamps...? God help us
http://sammyduvall.com/
Do they warn you when you go wake boarding you might encounter an alligator? Do any guidebooks for Disneyworld include a section on the dangers of alligators at your resort? The area the child was attacked was a beach that the resort encouraged people to use. It was not say the river that runs through Port Orleans that you can't easily get in without effort. ..so seriously yes people do not expect a gator to attack them in that area of the resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom