From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

It's a pretty big cause for alarm for those 9 people.

Is it your opinion that Disney should do nothing after this? It's not a cause for alarm, just keep everything as is and hope it's another 30 years before it happens again?
I'm not totally familiar with the various land sales that have occurred, but hasn't Disney sold off some of their previously unused land that is being developed for homes, hotels and/or shopping. If the habitat is shrinking and there is an uptick in people feeding the gators that's a bad combination.
No. It is not cause for alarm.
They are putting up signs. That part I'm fine with.

It's still Florida. If this is the first time that many of you learned that alligators can be anywhere in Florida then I'm sorry that you're just now finding out.

But Disney World is in Florida. So it doesn't matter what they do. Alligators will get in.

As for the land. Half of Florida has been built on areas that were once swamps..or just undeveloped land with waterways. There are several cities in Florida who's developers have taken a lot of heat for building on the Everglades etc. All of this has pushed wildlife closer to people.

NONE of this is new info.

Of course it was cause for alarm for those 9 people. It doesn't mean that over 110million people need to now think that they will be attacked. It's ridiculous. NINE OUT OF OVER ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION.
I don't know where you are from but most parks in FL have lakes and most of those lakes have sandy shores that look like the beach. Disney's beach on a lake is not unique. Yes it is man-made but mainly so it would be shaped the way they wanted. It is still a lake and it's a lake in FL, which means FL wildlife comes with it. Take a tour on google maps and tons of other resorts nearby also have sandy beaches with lounge chairs on them on ponds and lakes, and I bet many still allow swimming. I've swam in many of FL lakes and rivers and will continue. You be aware of your surroundings no matter if you are at a resort or in the wilderness. I stayed at a hotel in Cleveland a few years ago at age 28 and it was the first time I saw, walked, and drove in snow. The hotel didn't give me any warnings or instructions on how to navigate their property, and just like this it was an act of nature and I didn't expect them to. I could have fallen or driven into black ice on their man made property. It's life, it's nature

It sucks a kid died, and it's a terrible tragedy but the family isn't at fault and I don't think Disney is negligent for the wild animal either. If people fed the gator then hold them accountable. It's against the law, so if CM's wanted to report something they should call the police. I also doubt that many reported it anyways since gators are such a part of FL life and very common. Most gator accidents happen because the gator is provoked.

And to one of your other posts about sharks in ankle water, please do some research because people do get bit in ankle deep water pretty often in FL.
Also any guests who witnessed it should have called the police. Apparently they weren't too concerned then, but are going to any news media outlet now.

Last edited:

s8film40

And alligators still attack small mammals regardless of humans feeding them or not. Which is why they kill animals and pets frequently. We keep forgetting those important factors about the attack.

This isn't an alligator attacking a grown man in the middle of a parking lot during lunchtime.
What your saying is true, but feeding the alligators greatly increases the risk of attack. This isn't my opinion, several animal experts have made these comments in reference to this very event.

raven

They, Disney has recognized the threat, thus...new signs, warning about snakes and alligator's are on the beaches now. You have a disjointed argument.
Maybe while they are at it they should warn of stupid guests as well. Seems fitting.
PLEASE READ THIS: I need everyone to understand this. @raven @21stamps
If a ride malfunctions and someone dies it is a freak incident, but you still can sue and get millions because Disney invited you to do it, and if there was a known error then you can win even more. If you the guest jump into another vehicle it is not Disney's fault, and you shouldn't sue or get any money IF THERE ARE WARNINGS to not stand or stick your hands, arms feet, and legs outside of the vehicle.
The Gator attacking the kid is a freak incident, but Disney still invited people to go onto that beach, and there were known gators in the water. If you the guest was to not listen to a sign (like no swimming) and they were swimming, then odds are they wouldn't have a case, but there was nothing warning of not basically putting your feet in the water due to alligators. Therefor they didn't do anything that they shouldn't have, and they can rightfully sue because of lack of warnings. If you guys still don't understand please understand that if there is not a warning for something known it is easy to sue someone and win. Same for plane crashes, automobile airbags with children in the front seat, and choking hazards on toys etc. Not to mention there are gator signs across the street at the shades of green, and Disney basically acknowledged that they needed it by putting it up in direct response.
Invited? So they got in free?

flynnibus

Premium Member
And this is exactly why your logic is flawed. "You" know. "You" don't need to be warned. "You" in this case are Disney. Aware of a potential threat. If you invite someone to your home as you referenced in a prior post, and "you know" of a potential threat. Don't you think it may be a good idea to let your house guests know of that threat as well?

A counterpoint that completely ignores entire dimensions of common knowledge, probability, and what behavior triggers it. When your guest cracks open a beer they brought, did you stop them and make sure they know all the potential hazzards drinking has before you allow them to continue on actions they initiated themselves?

21stamps

Interesting enough, decades ago when I was a lifeguard, the beaches were closed when sharks or jellyfish were spotted nearby, and "Beach Closed" signs were posted.

About a decade ago while I was on business in Tuscan, Saguaro National Park was closed because a large cat (cougar?) was spotted. And I recall seeing a "Park Closed" sign.

I've seen more than a few bear warning signs in my day. In one case, even though the park was open, there was an aggressive bear they were attempting to locate and park rangers were discussing it with every car entering the park. More than a few cars (including us) turned around.

The point is, Disney needs to warn its Guests.
I know for certain that if this happened you would definitely never have a beach open in SoFla or the Keys. But realistically, those beaches you're talking about probably had certain sharks that they closed for, not all sharks.
Tip- swim, just don't wear jewelry. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
:banghead: It is not a dangerous place, but gators make it unsafe without warnings. Would you go in the Florida Everglades and sit in inches deep water? THe vast majority of people aren't going to make that connection.

Keep aiming lower... and keep trying... because its impossible to block every form of stupid from themselves. You aren't balancing any form of reasonable standard... just keep beating the drum that somehow outdoor places, because they are Disney, defy nature.

Please, never ever ever go anywhere near Fort Wilderness... I wouldn't want your type getting hurt because Disney didn't teach you everything about the outdoors.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. It is not cause for alarm.
They are putting up signs. That part I'm fine with.
Ok. Based on your posts you seemed to be against doing anything different. For me personally I think signs in addition to info at check in would be adequate. I don't think the fence is really necessary, but once they put it up it's going to be hard to take down.
It's still Florida. If this is the first time that many of you learned that alligators can be anywhere in Florida then I'm sorry that you're just now finding out.

But Disney World is in Florida. So it doesn't matter what they do. Alligators will get in.

As for the land. Half of Florida has been built on areas that were once swamps..or just undeveloped land with waterways. There are several cities in Florida who's developers have taken a lot of heat for building on the Everglades etc. All of this has pushed wildlife closer to people.

NONE of this is new info.

Of course it was cause for alarm for those 9 people. It doesn't mean that over 110million people need to now think that they will be attacked. It's ridiculous. NINE OUT OF OVER ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION.
That info may not be new to you or someone who either lives in Florida or visits regularly. Is it common knowledge everywhere? How about Brazil or the UK or Nebraska? Isn't it easier to just warn and inform the guests just in case they don't know? What's the harm in that?

jaklgreen

I'm not arguing with you. We just have differing opinions.
Let's say I invited your family to come stay at my house in Boca Raton, close to the water, and I don't tell you about alligators or crocodiles. You're laying at my pool and one bites off your leg, or worse- kills you. No, I don't deserve to be sued.

Your pockets are not deep enough for them to sue you. That is the difference.

EngineJoe

We all talk about this being some 'one in a billion' kind of thing... but its because people are talking about human fatalities. Humans are still pretty damn big compared to most alligator meals... so fatalities are pretty rare.

Alligator attacks though, are a bit more frequent...
View attachment 146756

I couldn't find stats on attacks on pets... which are far more likely to be the target of an alligator... but you will find plenty of stories all over about pets getting bit or killed by gators.

But every pet attack story reads just like this thread... people thinking it would never happen to them... people letting their small animals near the water's edge...

""I always feared this, but I never thought it would happen," Salvatore Campanile said."
""Alligators are predators," Hord said. "That's what puts dogs at such great risks. A dog is just a small mammal, and they have eaten small mammals for years."

He said people should be extra careful when letting children and small pets play in South Florida waterways and their banks."
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...n-beach-alligator-ate-dog-20150402-story.html

"The Sunrise homeowner was walking the dog, named Jessie, behind their home when the dog went into a lake and was eaten by the alligator, Florida Fish and Wildlife Spokesperson Liz Barraco said.
“She ran around these cattails here and apparently right into the alligator,” said Zack Byers, Jessie’s owner."
"“The biggest thing is the kids,” Byers said. “The dog is 50 pounds. A small child is not even 50 pounds. It wouldn’t have been much for that alligator to grab a small child.”
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Gator-Eats-Dog-in-Sunrise-287814801.html

That's still 1/3 the rate of lighting fatalities per year which range from 40-55 deaths a year.

EngineJoe

Ok. Based on your posts you seemed to be against doing anything different. For me personally I think signs in addition to info at check in would be adequate. I don't think the fence is really necessary, but once they put it up it's going to be hard to take down.

That info may not be new to you or someone who either lives in Florida or visits regularly. Is it common knowledge everywhere? How about Brazil or the UK or Nebraska? Isn't it easier to just warn and inform the guests just in case they don't know? What's the harm in that?

Lol, Brazil is much worse. The amount of dangerous animals dwarfs Florida. Not to mention all the kidnappings and murderes of middle class and rich family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom