What's the AK like at night?

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I will be visiting WDW from August the 29th, until my birthday on September the 4th. I have been enough times, to know the lay of the land. However, I haven't been there since Animal Kingdom went "Night Time".

We will be visiting the AK on September the 1st. We are still 76 days out, so I have not made any fast passes yet. I will be in a party of seven, and all of them are newbies except me.

For those who have toured during the night time hours, please share your experiences. Tell us what you like, and what you don't like about the new hours.

Fastpass suggestions are welcome, as well as touring ideas. We won't be doing any ADR's that day, so quick service ideas are welcome as well.

Mostly, I'd like to get an idea of how Animal Kingdom feels at night. Are the pathways brightly lit? I understand the Tree of Life has it's own show. I have read what I can find about that, but any tips concerning that would also be appreciated.

Have you been recently? If so, what's the AK like at night?

Rickster7

I was there in January and it was really dark specially in Africa and Asia. I was afraid I was going to trip, cause the paths are bumpy. I remember I had to use my phone flashlight to see while I was eating at the Yak+Yeti counter service. The only ride that was busy was Everest. I left there for Dinosaur and requested and got my own ride vehicle. I don't see that there is enough to do this summer when the park is open til 11pm.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I will be visiting WDW from August the 29th, until my birthday on September the 4th. I have been enough times, to know the lay of the land. However, I haven't been there since Animal Kingdom went "Night Time".

We will be visiting the AK on September the 1st. We are still 76 days out, so I have not made any fast passes yet. I will be in a party of seven, and all of them are newbies except me.

For those who have toured during the night time hours, please share your experiences. Tell us what you like, and what you don't like about the new hours.

Fastpass suggestions are welcome, as well as touring ideas. We won't be doing any ADR's that day, so quick service ideas are welcome as well.

Mostly, I'd like to get an idea of how Animal Kingdom feels at night. Are the pathways brightly lit? I understand the Tree of Life has it's own show. I have read what I can find about that, but any tips concerning that would also be appreciated.

Have you been recently? If so, what's the AK like at night?

Here is some info and video of what you can expect.

VIDEO - Take a full ride through on Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark

VIDEO - Opening night at 'The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic'

VIDEO - The Tree of Life Awakenings at Disney's Animal Kingdom

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Thanks for all the links. Videos are nice. First hand opinions from people who have experience the park's new hours is a valuable tool in planning.

dreamfinder

Don't have new hours experience, but from AK PM EMH's in the past, the park is a totally different experience. Definitely worth trying at least once.

Jybbers

I visited the park last Friday and stayed until closing, 11 PM. All the reviews I have read up to my visit were mixed. But my opinion is that the experience was disapointing. The Tree of Life lit up at night and the projection show was very cool. Kilimanjaro safaris was boring, I rode around 9pm, there were definitely less animals than during the day, and there is no extra lighting so of the few animals that were out, were very hard to see. Expedition Everest was more fun at night. The Jungle Book show was so so, but I assume Rivers of Light will be much better when that debuts. Overall the park was not well lit, which is a good and bad thing. I found myself a little lost at night not knowing where I was going more so than ever. I love the Animal Kingdom, but felt like there was not much to do at night. I do not reccommend spending all day and night there, it will get boring fast.

Jybbers

Also, the tree of life show has no set schedule and just happens at random times. As for fastpass options, I would do Kilimanjaro Safaris, Everest, and Rivers of Light. Nothing else to really choose from.

Rickster7

I am going in August and I already cancelled my Jungle Book dinner package. I will stay a half day and do Disney Springs at night.Once you do the safari and Everest there is not much left to do because Dinosaur will be closed for refurbishment.

Last edited:

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Thanks for the first hand knowledge replies. I used to always arrive at Animal Kingdom at park opening. I would have breakfast at Rainforest, and almost always had a mid morning tour on Kilimanjaro Safari. This trip, I am planning on sleeping in on Animal Kingdom Day, and having breakfast at our hotel. A noon arrival is most likely planned with fast passes scheduled for the afternoon. I will check what time sunset is, and I'd like to at least see the Tree of Life. Not really worried about the Jungle Book offering. I am sure we will check out some of the shows, checking the times when we arrive. I am traveling with a party of 6 others, and not really sure what they will want to do, or not do. They will be using DAS, and I very well may split away from them after we use our fast passes. Lunch and Dinner will be quick service along the way. I was worried about the pathways being dark at night time. However, the Tree can be seen pretty well if you stay to the left path when arriving, That's the Asia area, correct? Dinoland is something that I do enjoy, despite not riding Dinosaur myself. It will be different seeing the AK after dark/sunset

Rickster7

Africa is to the left of the Tree and Asia is to the right. Don't get me wrong it is nice at night specially if you haven't been but like I said I was there at night in January and once was enough for me.

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
Africa is to the left of the Tree and Asia is to the right. Don't get me wrong it is nice at night specially if you haven't been but like I said I was there at night in January and once was enough for me.

My grandson always teases me. Don't let grandma have the map. Actually, I have been to the AK enough times, so that I know that the Tree of Life is visible from many different points in the park. Usually one of the first things that I do is to get a picture with me and the tree, as I head to Kilimanjaro.

Last edited:

bethymouse

The Tree of Life was very pretty. We rode Expedition Everest at night, and that was pretty cool.:cool: We skipped the "Jungle Book" show... we'll wait until they get Rivers of Light ready! It was very dark. We did not do the safari at night. There were "dance parties" everywhere. It's a neat experience, but I prefer MK at night, at least until Avatarland is completed.... now that will be cool!:cool:

Simba's Mom

I was there in January and it was really dark specially in Africa and Asia. I was afraid I was going to trip, cause the paths are bumpy. I remember I had to use my phone flashlight to see while I was eating at the Yak+Yeti counter service.

I noticed that also last time I was there. And although I have been to AK many, many times (my favorite park), I found myself getting lost at night because of the darkness. I hope it's better lit at night now.

KikoKea

Interesting question- thanks for asking and thanks to those who answered. We will be there the end of Sept and wondered the same thing. I think we'll do as before and hit the AK one morning only. I've like to see the tree awakening but will catch it next trip. Just doesn't seem to be enough for us to give up night at MK or Epcot.

Last edited:

BAChicagoGal

Original Poster
I put a flashlight app on my iPhone, and then my grandson showed me that I already have that feature built in. My grandson, as usual is smarter than me.

I am looking forward to getting night time photos at Animal Kingdom. I am getting better at that with my camera, and I can't wait to take some of my vacation photos with my new iPhone.

There's more than rides in the theme park, and Animal Kingdom is one of those places at WDW that prove that point. I just want to be prepared for my first night time experience. Guests that have been there before me can give me great insight as to what to expect.

KikoKea

I put a flashlight app on my iPhone, and then my grandson showed me that I already have that feature built in. My grandson, as usual is smarter than me.

I am looking forward to getting night time photos at Animal Kingdom. I am getting better at that with my camera, and I can't wait to take some of my vacation photos with my new iPhone.

There's more than rides in the theme park, and Animal Kingdom is one of those places at WDW that prove that point. I just want to be prepared for my first night time experience. Guests that have been there before me can give me great insight as to what to expect.
Hope you enjoy the park at night- I'm sure it will be pretty. These smart phones are smarter than me, but surely are handy. :) I would suggest getting a small battery backup and short cord for your phone to take to the park since some apps , like the Disney app and camera, can suck your battery power. A 'lipstick" battery is small and costs about $10 on Amazon, sometimes including a short 7" usb connector.

Goofyque'

Truly, if all I did was walk around, I would be in heaven! The park is beautiful, there are lots of light features that you never notice during the day, and NOTHING beats Everest at night. Dinoland is so pretty and the lights of Asia are awesome. I love the slightly creepy factor of walking through the paths and not knowing what is coming next!

EverestNight1.jpg

deanaandrich

We were there last weekend and loved it. The safari was great at sunst- about 8:25-8:30. We saw the most animals we have ever seen. All 3 lions were up walking around- the male even roared. Expedition Everest was very cool at night. Just walking around was beautiful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom