Disney has now responded...1 million dollar donation to OneOrlando

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't want this to come across the wrong way... personally I think it's great they contribute to that fund... but I also want them to put that much into increasing security methods in and around their parks and resorts as well

bsiev1977

I don't want this to come across the wrong way... personally I think it's great they contribute to that fund... but I also want them to put that much into increasing security methods in and around their parks and resorts as well

There's no point in saying what you said. The company will put effort into fixing security, maybe it's a good idea they don't publicize they're plans too much?

WDWLover#1

Disney security had always been top notch - they've always had people behind the scenes, hidden cameras, disguised security etc. They've also, as we know, got metal detectors and bag checks. Disney is one of the most safest places on earth and I expect the company continues to believe so. For obvious reasons they are not going to publish details about their security measures.

rob0519

One million dollars is certainly a good start considering the affected group is about 300 families in total. It's not surprising Disney stepped up to help those in their own back yard.

While this fund was set up in a matter of 48 hours, I found it interesting that the only information on the oneorlando.org page is a link to donate to the fund and their P.O. Box to mail in donations and the email address info@oneorlando.org. The vaguely stated purpose is to "raise and receive money to help those families most affected by the tragic events that unfolded in the city of Orlando.

No mention of who is administering the fund, how the money will be used to help those so devastatingly affected by this tragedy, how to apply for help, etc. I'm sure that information will be forthcoming, but if you're trying to raise money for a cause, some specifics would be a good thing to publish.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
One million dollars is certainly a good start considering the affected group is about 300 families in total. It's not surprising Disney stepped up to help those in their own back yard.

While this fund was set up in a matter of 48 hours, I found it interesting that the only information on the oneorlando.org page is a link to donate to the fund and their P.O. Box to mail in donations and the email address info@oneorlando.org. The vaguely stated purpose is to "raise and receive money to help those families most affected by the tragic events that unfolded in the city of Orlando.

No mention of who is administering the fund, how the money will be used to help those so devastatingly affected by this tragedy, how to apply for help, etc. I'm sure that information will be forthcoming, but if you're trying to raise money for a cause, some specifics would be a good thing to publish.
I'm sure there is a boat load of red tape required to get through to set one of these up.

donsullivan

Premium Member

While it's reasonable and appropriate to make sure you're not donating to a scam organization in such a scenario, this one was announced by the Mayor of Orlando who recommend it as a consolidated place for people to donate. I have no doubt it will be appropriately scrutinized for proper distribution of the funds.

From their website:

About Us
“Hate may have visited our community. It’s taken the lives of innocent people. It has shaken us to our core and broken our hearts. But, hate will not define us. And, hate will not defeat us. Because we are ONE Orlando.”
- Mayor Buddy Dyer

On June 12, 2016 our community and our nation experienced a horrific tragedy.

In the wake of the tragedy at Pulse, our City and our nation rallied together. The outpouring of support has been generous.

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer announced the formation of the OneOrlando Fund, to raise and receive money to help those families most affected by the tragic events that unfolded in the City of Orlando.

The OneOrlando Fund is a project of Strengthen Orlando, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation created for the purpose of supporting and starting projects to strengthen the Orlando community.

Checks may be made payable to OneOrlando Fund and sent to:

OneOrlando
PO Box 4990
Orlando, FL 32802-4990

For information regarding the OneOrlando Fund or to make a wire transfer, please contact info@oneorlando.org.

FireChiefGoofy

The fund was set up by Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer, so I would assume that the city is going to somehow administer the fund.

Since the shooting, the city and Orlando PD has had a family meeting and info center for the victims. Today is the first day that our local TV stations do not have the news crawl at the bottom. The City of Orlando has done a fairly good job with assisting the victims and families.

Proud to live in Orlando and work at WDW.

#orlandopride

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Lets please stop making this a "Disney didn't do enough" conversation. This is an impressive amount to contribute, one that really was not necessary for them to do but was done anyway. Not many large corporations would have donated $1M but that is the type of company Disney is. This is one of the main reasons I continue to go back. There are a lot of bitter people on these boards about various things from "show" to CM pay to ticket prices but this is simply one topic that does not need to be criticized or analyzed any further. Disney stepped up when these poor peoples family's needed them to.

BoarderPhreak

Lets please stop making this a "Disney didn't do enough" conversation. This is an impressive amount to contribute, one that really was not necessary for them to do but was done anyway. Not many large corporations would have donated $1M but that is the type of company Disney is. This is one of the main reasons I continue to go back. There are a lot of bitter people on these boards about various things from "show" to CM pay to ticket prices but this is simply one topic that does not need to be criticized or analyzed any further. Disney stepped up when these poor peoples family's needed them to.
THIS.

Disney, well known to hold onto their (err, our) coin... Donated $1M to this cause. That's pretty awesome no matter how you look at it. Disney has long called Orlando home, and many of its employees obviously live in the surrounding community. Let's hope other large companies that rely on Orlando step forward, like Universal. They don't have to do this, obviously. But considering the larger role they play in the area and their employees, it's a very... Human gesture.

Kman101

Kudos to them. Horrific tragedy. But just another example of many jumping the gun to be offended the company didn't do what they wanted or thought they should at a certain time. Anyway ... (although to be fair, I really don't think matt_black's questioning their silence was meant to bash, and I was pretty surprised how many came down on him for that, even if I don't always agree with him, my point being is that some of us need to think before we post, including myself)

Anyway, this thread needs to be about the positive, not the negative.

rushtest4echo

Glad to see this response from Disney!

No amount of security theatre is going to prevent someone from walking into Disney Springs on a Friday night and doing exactly what this piece of work did at Pulse. Bad things happen, and mass shootings only account for 1% of the total gun deaths in America.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom