Does anyone miss Alien Encounter, or is it just me?

Bulldog1653

My wife and I experienced Alien Encounter on our honeymoon in 1997. It scared the hell out of her to the point that she was crying. I loved it and miss it.
With Stitch's Great Escape replacing Alien Encounter, it made it a little less scary and more humorous and a lot more people like it. Personally, I prefer Alien Encounter but I understand why it was replaced.

P_Radden

I miss the pre-show. Why did WDI have to remove S.I.R.?!
Lol you must really miss it a lot to post 4 comments in 4 different threads about it in a 10 minute period:
For everyone who didn't do AE: S.I.R. was great. I wish you all could have seen him. He had such a lovely voice, too. (HNNNG)

Today I want S.I.R. back so bad. He was my favorite part of AE. Why did they replace him with Sargeant Bing Bong? To any Imagineers who read this: BRING S.I.R. BACK. NOW. PERIOD.

To anyone who doesn't miss AE, S.I.R. is going to suspend you indefinitely. You do not mess with S.I.R.

DavidS1234

I also enjoyed AE. I have a slightly different angle to it though. I was a CM, and an audiophile...so my favorite thing about it was going down to the section of underground tunnel that ran beneath the ride, and standing next to the double-doors that lead to the room containing all the massive subwoofers that created the bass effects for the ride. During the shows, that whole stretch of tunnel wall would vibrate...it was pretty cool.

nerdboyrockstar

This was my favorite attraction at MK so this was a tough loss, but it makes zero sense to me that they would remove this. Yes, Disney is family-friendly but who got the bright idea that families are all the perfect age to ride all of the attractions across the parks? I have great memories of my childhood at Disney World.. and quite a few of those include us splitting up while I backed out of stuff I was too small for/scared of.

DavidS1234

This was my favorite attraction at MK so this was a tough loss, but it makes zero sense to me that they would remove this. Yes, Disney is family-friendly but who got the bright idea that families are all the perfect age to ride all of the attractions across the parks? I have great memories of my childhood at Disney World.. and quite a few of those include us splitting up while I backed out of stuff I was too small for/scared of.

Heh...I totally understand. It's hard to cope with the desire to re-live memories of places that no longer exist...especially when they have a strong personal connection. The key is to understand that, even if you were able to go ride that ride one more time, it wouldn't have the same mystique as it had when you were a child. That's the beauty of memories. Just one of those life lesson things I suppose. Nothing stays the same...including people. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I saw a home video of it from 1997 and I just realized why it closed. For one thing, the preshow depicts a cute lil thingy getting killed by a robot who obviously doesn't want him there. S.I.R. KILLED A PUPPY. (Well, not really...)

And then in the main show, there's an implication that the alien ate someone alive. AND THERE'S BLOOD. AT A DISNEY THEME PARK. Yeah.
There was no blood.

There were signs explaining that it was an intense attraction.

Everything at Disney does not have to be geared towards 6 year olds.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
There was no blood.

There were signs explaining that it was an intense attraction.

Everything at Disney does not have to be geared towards 6 year olds.
Yep, and I blame all the stupid parents! I remember parents taking young kids on the ride and the kids would come out bawling their eyes out. They obviously had no clue what the attraction was like, they completely ignored all the warning signs and then they raised enough of a stink to curse us with Stitch for the rest of eternity. And that is why we can't have nice things....

MKCP 1985

I miss it.

Closed due to the idiotic minority ignoring all the warnings and then complaining...
If any company could predict in advance who its idiotic patrons would be so that they could be refused admission, that information could be sold for a fortune to make the acquisition cost of magic bands look like chump change. Idiots ignoring warnings and then complaining are everywhere!

DisneyFans4Life

I only did AE a few times as a kid and hated it...it was way too loud for me. I've done SGE a few times as well, but feel it's pretty much the same experience. It's one attraction that I pass by everytime I'm at MK.

BiffyClyro

Unfortunately my first trip was in '06 and Stich had just opened, but the attraction looked great. Makes you realise how poor the Stich revamp has always been... Never been popular even from opening and im a fan of the character, growing up with it and all.

DavidS1234

No, S.I.R. should actually have a role because HE'S FRIGGIN' TIM CURRY. He can be their helper or something?
Ok ok, how's this: They bring in The Shadow to help the GOTG, and S.I.R. comes along as Farley Claymore, the evil scientist, whom The Shadow convinced to upload his brain into S.I.R., in exchange for not killing him. Since Tim Curry played Farley Claymore in The Shadow movie, it's perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom