The Shanghai Disneyland spoiler rich attraction preview thread!

GiveMeTheMusic

Alright - I knew there were a few odd choices going on, there will be a few nit picky flaws I have that can be easily fixed in the future. Seems strange to build a massive theater and use the more temporary production that's already been replaced in DL. I wonder what they were originally planning to use the facility for.

I think it was a last minute addition, all around, including the theater. Hopefully the show gets replaced with a real one quickly because bleh (and I like Frozen).

BrianLo

I think it was a last minute addition, all around, including the theater. Hopefully the show gets replaced with a real one quickly because bleh (and I like Frozen).

I like it too, but I just assume it really won't compare to the other dedicated productions. That version of Frozen was ok as a temporary overlay of Muppets, but it wasn't deserving of becoming a permanent fixture at Hyperion Theatre. I think the new one will be.

The theatre was on the leaked blueprint plans circa 2012 (pre-Frozen), but I have a feeling they didn't really have a specific production in mind yet.

GiveMeTheMusic

I like it too, but I just assume it really won't compare to the other dedicated productions. That version of Frozen was ok as a temporary overlay of Muppets, but it wasn't deserving of becoming a permanent fixture at Hyperion Theatre. I think the new one will be.

The theatre was on the leaked blueprint plans circa 2012 (pre-Frozen), but I have a feeling they didn't really have a specific production in mind yet.

That makes the inclusion of the Frozen screamalong even more distressing. I had assumed the theater was thrown in at the last minute.

BrianLo

That makes the inclusion of the Frozen screamalong even more distressing. I had assumed the theater was thrown in at the last minute.

Yes I agree. Someone had a panic attack 1-2 years ago that Frozen wasn't well represented in their park. I figure it came about and displaced whatever was being worked on for that theatre when the Marvel Experience and Star Wars Launch Bay were added to the park.

Ironically they'd have been better served by shoehorning in Zootopia in hindsight. I know @WDW1974 said plans are for Everest, Alice and a Marvel coaster, but Zootopia is really the only out and out success in China apart from some Marvel fare.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes I agree. Someone had a panic attack 1-2 years ago that Frozen wasn't well represented in their park. I figure it came about and displaced whatever was being worked on for that theatre when the Marvel Experience and Star Wars Launch Bay were added to the park.

Ironically they'd have been better served by shoehorning in Zootopia in hindsight. I know @WDW1974 said plans are for Everest, Alice and a Marvel coaster, but Zootopia is really the only out and out success in China apart from some Marvel fare.

Bob said yesterday that they're speeding up plans to get Zootopia characters in the park. HELLO. How hard is it to get character costumes to Shanghai? They've been meeting in HKDL for some time now and Zootopia has been making money hand over fist in China for weeks, if not months at this point.

The lumbering bureaucracy that is Disney is truly something to witness in person. For being the "inventors" of synergy, they're sure taken a tumble when it comes to agility.

ght

New Pirates DSLR shot video out.

Awesome attraction but should be called Jack Sparrows Pirates of the Caribbean.

Also an idea what the Star Wars Land E should be like. Minus the water.
I had a similar thought. Awesome attraction but it isn't really POTC, more like "POTC: The Movie" ride. Hopefully this is the kind of stuff we will see with Star Wars and other attractions in the future. I would love to see something like this at Disneyland while still having the classic POTC.

ght

Yeah I guess not which is weird
Not that weird though if you think about it. When the first Star Wars was released and became a phenomenon in the 70's outside movies were still not being allowed in China at that time. The first Star Wars movie to be released in China was the Phantom Menace, so they were out of the loop when the franchise was becoming so ingrained in popular culture like it did in most of the world.

JustInTime

Not that weird though if you think about it. When the first Star Wars was released and became a phenomenon in the 70's outside movies were still not being allowed in China at that time. The first Star Wars movie to be released in China was the Phantom Menace, so they were out of the loop when the franchise was becoming so ingrained in popular culture like it did in most of the world.
Yeah but is Tron a phenomenon over there? It is pretty obscure yet the whole land is Designed around it. Seems weird they aren't including Star Wars but they are getting Star Wars launch bay, right (unless I misread plans)? if your point held true, they wouldn't.

No Name

One hour and thirty minute video on Youku showing the whole Shanghai Disneyland park and rides, Soarin, Pirates of Caribbean, etc.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU2NDM3MTA5Mg==.html

Really cool video. Park looks much better than I expected, thanks to a particular poster who set my expectations very low. Seeing the park through video is great, but I was really intruiged by the CMs and other people. The type of stuff that isn't focused on.

The CMs, particularly the one taking the picture of guests with Baloo, are so passionate and energetic. It's great to see. It's also great to see that, despite the park only being in the trial period for a few days, they seem well-trained and it all looks like it's going generally very smoothly.

Are they getting Star Wars? I know as a property it isn't as big in China as it is in the rest of the world.

They have Star Wars launch bay... :)

I don't think that they need (or even should get) Star Wars Land but that's just my opinion. A unique Star Wars ride... that I'd like. Star Wars launch bay is on what I would say is Tomorrowland's best expansion plot, so it's likely we'll see that go away in the future for something that better uses the space.

ght

Yeah but is Tron a phenomenon over there? It is pretty obscure yet the whole land is Designed around it. Seems weird they aren't including Star Wars but they are getting Star Wars launch bay, right (unless I misread plans)? if your point held true, they wouldn't.
True, that's a good point. Of course Disney keeps trying to make Tron a thing so I don't know what to read into that. ;)

ght

I don't mind attractions based on obscure things but it's surprising none the less
I don't either, some of my favorite attractions (probably most of them) aren't even based on any kind of IP. It just seems so un-2016 Disney to put in something new that isn't based on a massive IP or merchandise mover.

ght

I don't mind attractions based on obscure things but it's surprising none the less
At first I thought that maybe Tron was some mega-hit in China (like Fast and the Furious 7, which did well in the U.S. but was a massive hit in China) but it did about as poorly there as it did everywhere else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom