One day at Sea World during Disney trip?

JohnD

Original Poster
So here I am WAAAAAYYY down here. I'm going to be at WDW 10/29-11/4. I'm thinking of one day at Sea World.

Haven't been in a long time and was thinking about going especially before they end the Shamu show. What should I be experiencing/attending/seeing?

What day would be the best day to go? At first, I was thinking sometime in the middle of the trip but on further reflection, I think check-out day, 11/4, would be best. I'm an alumnus of Stetson University in DeLand and plan on attending homecoming that weekend. I'm already booked for two nights in DeLand 11/4-6. So, check out of WDW on 11/4, spend day at Sea World, drive up to DeLand for homecoming. Probably best option, right?

Crazydisneyfanluke

There is a lot to see and do at Sea World. I personally would make sure to ride Atlantis, Kraken, Manta, Mako, and Antartica. The shows i would recommend is Shamu and Blue horizons (My favorite). If you enjoy bad jokes, and a cheesy atmosphere then make sure to see the new sea lion show. Also make sure to experience the exhibits Turtle trek, shark encounter, and wild arctic just to name a few.
It takes me a full day to experience SW each time i go.
Also make sure you get the all day dining deal. Its about $35 and lets you eat upon each hour.

CAPTAIN HOOK

There's a lot of controversy surrounding SeaWorld at the moment (I'm not bringing it up here). Years ago I'd say yes, definitely well worth taking a day out from WDW, now, I'd probably still say yes but with huge reservations

JohnD

Original Poster
There's a lot of controversy surrounding SeaWorld at the moment (I'm not bringing it up here). Years ago I'd say yes, definitely well worth taking a day out from WDW, now, I'd probably still say yes but with huge reservations

I know all about the controversy. Doesn't mean I still don't want to go. I get the point about shows. So, Sea World is ending them at some point. But I think a lot of it is blown up. Where does it end? AK has animals too. Should they close their park? Close The Seas at Epcot? What about all zoos?

CAPTAIN HOOK

I know all about the controversy. Doesn't mean I still don't want to go. I get the point about shows. So, Sea World is ending them at some point. But I think a lot of it is blown up. Where does it end? AK has animals too. Should they close their park? Close The Seas at Epcot? What about all zoos?
Are you seeking advice or trying to start an argument ?

If you didn't want to go you wouldn't ask about it - I said I wasn't bringing up the controversy here and I'm not.

Period.

JohnD

Original Poster
Are you seeking advice or trying to start an argument ?

If you didn't want to go you wouldn't ask about it - I said I wasn't bringing up the controversy here and I'm not.

Period.

Wow. Sensitive aren't we. Well, I don't have any reservations about going. Thanks for your input.

JohnD

Original Poster
There is a lot to see and do at Sea World. I personally would make sure to ride Atlantis, Kraken, Manta, Mako, and Antartica. The shows i would recommend is Shamu and Blue horizons (My favorite). If you enjoy bad jokes, and a cheesy atmosphere then make sure to see the new sea lion show. Also make sure to experience the exhibits Turtle trek, shark encounter, and wild arctic just to name a few.
It takes me a full day to experience SW each time i go.
Also make sure you get the all day dining deal. Its about $35 and lets you eat upon each hour.

Thanks!

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's still a good day of entertainment. Blue horizons is great. The pet show is cute. The whale show was a bit of a yawner. Feed the Dolphins and rays. Sea lions... the freeloading birds ruin it.

JohnD

Original Poster
On a very serious note how long does it to see the whole place?

Good question. I'm thinking of doing a day trip on my check out day from WDW before driving up to DeLand for homecoming with my university, possibly breakfast first at, say, Kona Cafe before driving to Sea World. Posted hours for that day are 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

fosse76

Regardless of everything in the media, Sea World is still a great park and very worth the visit!
Actually I found it to be quite boring. The only thing Sea World in Orlando has going for it besides the Orcas is the coasters. You can see everything else at your local aquarium or zoo. And I didn't really find the shows that great. I don't regret going (though I am glad they are phasing out the Orcas), but I haven't had any real desire to return.

Crazydisneyfanluke

What i recommend is going to Discover cove, you get a 14 day pass to Sea World and Aquatica on top of swimming with dolphins.
I also recommend feeding the dolphins at SW and the beluga whale experience. Interacting with the animals on a one to one bases is the best experience i have had at SW.
I agree with what @flynnibus says above. I takes me a day to experience everything. I make sure i see the last shamu show as well, its usually not as busy.

UpAllNight

We loved Seaworld and actually gave up a Disney day to do it again, so we filled 2 days with Seaworld and there's things we didn't do. The 2, soon to be 3, coasters are/ will hopefully be, awesome.

I'd definitely schedule your Seaworld trip mid Disney rather than at the end. It's a much more chilled out, relaxing experience than Disney due to the crowds. Only thing we waited significant amount of time for was Antarctica. It felt like a real 'vacation day' for us whereas Disney was a bit "get here for that time...then here for our reservation here"...we just took our time, enjoyed the beautiful landscaped grounds and did what we liked when we wanted too. A highlight of our trip.

cheezbat

Actually I found it to be quite boring. The only thing Sea World in Orlando has going for it besides the Orcas is the coasters. You can see everything else at your local aquarium or zoo. And I didn't really find the shows that great. I don't regret going (though I am glad they are phasing out the Orcas), but I haven't had any real desire to return.
Well everybody has their opinion. Honestly I find it to be more enjoyable than Animal Kingdom right now.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm debating either switching a Universal day or adding days to my vacation for Sea World... but wondering if it's worth it.

John, so what did you decide to do? Are you still mulling it over?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm debating either switching a Universal day or adding days to my vacation for Sea World... but wondering if it's worth it.

John, so what did you decide to do? Are you still mulling it over?

Sea world is not worth multiple days as your primary plan. Sea World is nice to visit for additional days if you didn't pay for them and only want to spend a few hours there. For instance, after a day at Discovery Cove, or Aquatica, etc. So go do something, then hit Sea World for your night cap riding some coasters or getting some snacks, etc.

This is where the Discovery Cove ticket model works so great. Buy DC, then visit Sea World and Aquatica at your leisure and spread the love around doing other things mixed in from around Orlando.

It works out when you do one of the plans that gives you many days at the park for no additional cost, but I would never tell someone to buy multiple days explicitly for sea world. Paying for a single day?? If you haven't been in a long time it's a nice change of pace.. but it's not like a UNI or DIS. Depending on your party makeup.. I might say another day in UNI over visiting seaworld.. but it very much depends on your group's demographic.

I liked seaworld.. it's just not on the same level as a UNI/DIS.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Sea world is not worth multiple days as your primary plan. Sea World is nice to visit for additional days if you didn't pay for them and only want to spend a few hours there. For instance, after a day at Discovery Cove, or Aquatica, etc. So go do something, then hit Sea World for your night cap riding some coasters or getting some snacks, etc.

This is where the Discovery Cove ticket model works so great. Buy DC, then visit Sea World and Aquatica at your leisure and spread the love around doing other things mixed in from around Orlando.

It works out when you do one of the plans that gives you many days at the park for no additional cost, but I would never tell someone to buy multiple days explicitly for sea world. Paying for a single day?? If you haven't been in a long time it's a nice change of pace.. but it's not like a UNI or DIS. Depending on your party makeup.. I might say another day in UNI over visiting seaworld.. but it very much depends on your group's demographic.

I liked seaworld.. it's just not on the same level as a UNI/DIS.

See, that's what I've been wondering. All in all, it's boiling down to where are we going to enjoy being most. We have 6 days at Disney before heading to Universal for 4. I like a variety, but I've never been to Universal and could probably eat up 4 days at their resorts and parks alone.

It's just two of us going- both adults. It's definitely an adult vacation.

Thanks for your input, Flynn :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom