Osceola Interchange/Road Permits

Tom

Beta Return
Wild guesses aside, does anybody have knowledge of what road construction like this typically takes (keep the Disney construction jokes out of it). I know they can take a long time. There is one close to me for (what seems like) a simple entrance onto a highway - one direction is expected to finish in 2018, while the other not till 2021 -- and it seems to the untrained eye like something simple to do (in fact less complicated than what Disney has here).

12-24 months, depending on how badly they want it done. It's likely not using "Disney" money, so they won't need to drag it out over multiple fiscal years. I predict a smaller range of 12-18 months from start to finish, given that this is a MUCH needed improvement, and will be critical for the expected increase in traffic to DHS once TSL and SWL are both complete.

how long is it usually from a permit like this to seeing actual construction?

A few months.

since star wars land has no dates or timeline its possible this will be built at the same time toy story land is being built and still be done before sw land is complete

Yes and yes. Work will begin as soon as feasible, and it will be done well before SWL is completed (or, perhaps, started). It will run concurrent with TSL, and their goal is probably to have the roadwork complete BEFORE TSL opens, for the sake of handling the small bump in attendance at DHS.

mm121

12-24 months, depending on how badly they want it done. It's likely not using "Disney" money, so they won't need to drag it out over multiple fiscal years. I predict a smaller range of 12-18 months from start to finish, given that this is a MUCH needed improvement, and will be critical for the expected increase in traffic to DHS once TSL and SWL are both complete.

A few months.

Yes and yes. Work will begin as soon as feasible, and it will be done well before SWL is completed (or, perhaps, started). It will run concurrent with TSL, and their goal is probably to have the roadwork complete BEFORE TSL opens, for the sake of handling the small bump in attendance at DHS.
also dont they need to complete this so the old entrance road can be converted to a dedicated construction entrance, or least i thought that was the plan at some point

jt04

A few months.

Due to Pandora opening at DAK before TSL at the Studios, the phrase "small bump in attendance" will no longer be applicable.

twebber55

Due to Pandora opening at DAK before TSL at the Studios, the phrase "small bump in attendance" will no longer be applicable.
i do think you ll see a significant bump at DAK in terms of % for the park as well as the resort
and you ll also see a shifting of guest movement which will help at MK

my guess is 15% at DAK by 2018 from what it is now

mm121

i do think you ll see a significant bump at DAK in terms of % for the park as well as the resort
and you ll also see a shifting of guest movement which will help at MK

my guess is 15% at DAK by 2018 from what it is now
dak will also have to absorb crowds from a defunct DHS as i doubt TSL will open till like 2019 or 2020 with SWL far behind that maybe 2022

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
oh they found a way to squeeze two lanes under that underpass? thats good

Yep, here is the current plan.

Capture.JPG

FerretAfros

I'm glad that the existing DHS overpass is being removed. Between the steep approach, long curve, and high camber, it's the sort of thing that nightmares are made of at mile 22 of the marathon. I'm sure some of those elements will remain in the new design, but it looks like they'll be more gradual

But the real exciting news here is the complete rebuild of the Osceola Pkwy/Victory Way intersection into a single-point urban interchange (with a flyover for the westbound left turn movement). That intersection always seems to be one of the biggest congestion points in WDW for me (I tend to visit during times with high usage at WWOS), so I'm excited that they're creating a grade separated interchange.

I just think it's interesting that they're going with a SPUI, since those are somewhat unusual and are typically reserved for locations with limited right-of-way. Only the northeast quadrant has any ROW limitations (Pop Century parking lot), but there's still plenty of space there; in fact, that's the side with the most proposed work. I'm surprised that they didn't go with a more traditional roadway configuration

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm glad that the existing DHS overpass is being removed. Between the steep approach, long curve, and high camber, it's the sort of thing that nightmares are made of at mile 22 of the marathon. I'm sure some of those elements will remain in the new design, but it looks like they'll be more gradual

But the real exciting news here is the complete rebuild of the Osceola Pkwy/Victory Way intersection into a single-point urban interchange (with a flyover for the westbound left turn movement). That intersection always seems to be one of the biggest congestion points in WDW for me (I tend to visit during times with high usage at WWOS), so I'm excited that they're creating a grade separated interchange.

I just think it's interesting that they're going with a SPUI, since those are somewhat unusual and are typically reserved for locations with limited right-of-way. Only the northeast quadrant has any ROW limitations (Pop Century parking lot), but there's still plenty of space there; in fact, that's the side with the most proposed work. I'm surprised that they didn't go with a more traditional roadway configuration

Which overpass are you referring to?

mm121

what existing overpass are you referring to

as far as victory way, i say the more compact the interchange the better so it allows good transit but doesnt feel like an interstate

FerretAfros

Which overpass are you referring to?
The existing overpass along the ramp from WB Osceola Pkwy to NB World Dr, which passes over the road to the Studios toll plaza. Seen here, semi-hidden behind the signage:
dhs-hollywood-studios-main-.jpg

From the plans, it looks like that exit ramp will get realigned to remove the S-bend (since the EB Osceola Pkwy to NB World Dr movement is being changed to a cloverleaf, removing the need for the signal and shared ramp); the new overpass will be about 350' northeast of the existing one.

Given the new alignment, I assume the profile will be less dramatic, minimizing the hill. Removing the S-bend would also reduce the change in camber/superelevation, making it much easier to run on, since the existing bridge has one of the steepest cross-slopes I've ever seen

mm121

The existing overpass along the ramp from WB Osceola Pkwy to NB World Dr, which passes over the road to the Studios toll plaza. Seen here, semi-hidden behind the signage:
dhs-hollywood-studios-main-.jpg

From the plans, it looks like that exit ramp will get realigned to remove the S-bend (since the EB Osceola Pkwy to NB World Dr movement is being changed to a cloverleaf, removing the need for the signal and shared ramp); the new overpass will be about 350' northeast of the existing one.

Given the new alignment, I assume the profile will be less dramatic, minimizing the hill. Removing the S-bend would also reduce the change in camber/superelevation, making it much easier to run on, since the existing bridge has one of the steepest cross-slopes I've ever seen

would they build a new sign or just leave the overpass and this signage in place even if the road no longer goes over the top?

Goofyernmost

Remove it since it will no longer be an entrance nor have a road under it.
Wait isn't that the connector from Osceola to World Drive? Or am I thinking of something else! Isn't that possible, as another option, the exit bridge from Epcot? Obviously, I am having trouble picturing what that road above is even used for, but, it's possible that it has a function and will remain, maybe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom