What was the best Year to Visit WDW

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
I was recently looking at pictures, and videos of Disney World back in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's and I wondered when people thought Disney World was in it's prime. I have been every two years since 2005 (and once this year), but I can't seem to decide when I liked WDW the most.

I love WDW right now, but there's so much construction going on, and crowds are insane. I miss 2007-2013, as those trips were some of my all time favorites. Obviously I haven't been to the parks before 2005, so I can't judge if those years were better then now. What do you guys think? What was the best year to visit WDW and why?

Goofyernmost

1975??? 1984??? After that, it didn't really matter. You will note that was three years after MK opened and two years after EPCOT opened. By then most of the good stuff was in operation, crowds were lower and prices were fairly good.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with @Flippin'Flounder. Though it's impossible for me to have ever experienced it, 1990 seems like the best time, especially for Epcot. Wonders of Life was brand new, Maelstrom was two years old, most of CommuniCore hadn't started its transition to Innoventions yet, and all the original pavilions were in full operation with their original sponsors. Of course MGM was brand new as well AND it was a real, functional movie studio. MK still had 20K and Mr. Toad as well.

Flippin'Flounder

I agree with @Flippin'Flounder. Though it's impossible for me to have ever experienced it, 1990 seems like the best time, especially for Epcot. Wonders of Life was brand new, Maelstrom was two years old, most of CommuniCore hadn't started its transition to Innoventions yet, and all the original pavilions were in full operation with their original sponsors. Of course MGM was brand new as well AND it was a real, functional movie studio. MK still had 20K and Mr. Toad as well.
Exactly. I wasn't alive, but it seems great. You have the Splash/20K overlap at MK. WoM, Horizons, JII, and WoL were all open. CommuniCore wasn't dead yet. Star Tours and Indy were open. Pleasure Island was brand new too.

AndyS2992

Early 90s seems a fan favourite but personally for me 2008 was awesome. No construction anywhere, Year of a Million Dreams was a great promotion, lots of things like Everest, Soarin, LMA and stuff all still seemed fresh, Haunted Mansion got enhancements, Toy Story Mania was brand new, the Epcot wand came down and so on.

Last edited:

TheOrangeBird01

Original Poster
Early 90's seems a fan favourite but personally for me 2008 was awesome. No construction anywhere, Year of a Million Dreams was a great promotion, lots of things like Everest, Soarin, LMA and stuff all still seemed fresh, Haunted Mansion got enhancements, Toy Story Mania was brand new and so on.

Exactly my thoughts. Since I wasn't alive in the 90's I can't connect with those stories, but I remember a Year of a Million Dreams so vividly. I miss special things like that.

Goofyernmost

Early 90s seems a fan favourite but personally for me 2008 was awesome. No construction anywhere, Year of a Million Dreams was a great promotion, lots of things like Everest, Soarin, LMA and stuff all still seemed fresh, Haunted Mansion got enhancements, Toy Story Mania was brand new, the Epcot wand came down and so on.
True, but at the same time Epcot had become a shadow of its former self and DHS had died on the vine. There were a lot more negatives at that time then positives. Perhaps not as bad as it has gotten now, but, still not exactly the golden years. I do understand that those that were either very young during that time or weren't even around yet, can maybe see a brighter light then those of us that were fortunate enough to be around when all things were still exciting and vibrant. Of course the downside of that is we are getting close to dead now. :in pain::joyfull::grumpy:

Sadly, the "no construction anywhere" part has gotten us to where things are today. Nothing to speak of was really done for at least two years before 2008.

SCOTLORR

When does anyone think WDW can get better or as good as when it was in its prime (1990 it seems)? Or is that almost impossible... :(

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
When does anyone think WDW can get better or as good as when it was in its prime (1990 it seems)? Or is that almost impossible... :(
I'd say when all four parks become all day parks.

For Epcot specifically, if/when Future World is restored, although that may never happen since corporations aren't as eager to sponsor attractions as they were in 1982. Only SSE, Test Track, and Living With the Land (just one ride in The Land, not the whole pavilion) still have sponsors.

gobstoper27

2009 as it was my first visit and it's where I fell in love with the world! I can't attest to how much better it was prior to this but being a newbie in 2009, I had no complaints. The boy and I didnt argue, we had a blast, perfect weather, it was so magical. Now 2010 on the other hand..it rained, we bickered, rides broke down, The opening show at the castle suddenly stopped, we got to see literally the first minute of the Nemo show and it to got cancelled...but we still had a good time.

Tavernacle12

I'd say when all four parks become all day parks.

For Epcot specifically, if/when Future World is restored, although that may never happen since corporations aren't as eager to sponsor attractions as they were in 1982. Only SSE, Test Track, and Living With the Land (just one ride in The Land, not the whole pavilion) still have sponsors.

It could conceivably happen. Once Avatar and Star Wars open Future World is the most obvious need of an overhaul. If the overhaul isn't awful and there's enough of an attendance boost from Avatar and Star Wars to justify actively adding new attractions for a change, I think things could improve immensely. Future World theoretically 'should' be easy. Update Ellen with a new video (the whole cast is still recognizable), return Figment to its original glory with more modern effects, redo Wonders Of Life with a possible Inside Out theme. Done. It's not going to happen anytime soon though, and for all we know as soon as Avatar and Star Wars are done we could be back into another drought.

SteveAZee

1990 was the best trip and experience for me. My earliest trip was 1973 and most recent was 2013, but there was something great about my pre-Christmas experience (and MVMC) that year. As suggested, Disney-MGM was shiny and new, EPCOT was in full swing, and MK was (as always) great. That year we stayed in the Contemporary, did the meal plan, and basically enjoyed all the amenities, rides, and reduced crowds that fall of 1990 could offer. There was also no need to pre-plan anything... rides, restaurants, everything was a walk-in or walk-on, or at least a reasonable wait. It was pretty magical. :)

BrerJon

August 1994, after Tower of Terror opened, but before 20K Leagues closed.

By then you had three parks, MGM was in its prime, both water parks were open *and* you still had River Country and Discovery Island too. Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney was at its height, there were plenty of brand new resorts with cheap rooms to fill, and Guest service had never been better while prices were yet to steeply climb, making it a generally affordable vacation. Epcot was still EPCOT Center, with all that entailed, and MK had parades that changed frequently, with that years being 'Mickey Mania', one of the best ever.

In short, if you didn't go in 1994, you missed out!

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I really enjoyed the millennium celebration. I was only 5 years old but looking back on it that's definitely my favorite time in Epcot history (that I've been alive for) and I think it was a great time for the other parks as well. :)

SCB502

I would also say somewhere around 1985. The crowds were much smaller as a whole and Epcot had time to establish itself and let the early crowd rush for the new park to die off. Not only were the parks better and less crowded but the resorts were better also. My family started going in 1977 when I was four. We normally stayed at Fort Wilderness. There was a lot more stuff to do at fort then including a real petting zoo unlike now, it still had the train and they actually took care of the swamp trails. The fort hadn't been over run by loud annoying people on golf carts. People weren't there just for the parks. WDW seemed like a real resort vacation not just some parks and hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom