Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

A simulator attraction like Star Tours is the perfect thing to retheme. The park is getting an overhaul and the theme could be literally anything. This isn't a great argument about shoehorning something. Forcing IPs literally anywhere else on property would be more problematic.
Well IPs in DHS is less problematic in general as pretty much anything fits.

However, it's an 80's ride system. I'd like to see it replaced with something a bit more modern.

RSoxNo1

Well IPs in DHS is less problematic in general as pretty much anything fits.

However, it's an 80's ride system. I'd like to see it replaced with something a bit more modern.
Omnimovers are a 60s ride system... let's get rid of them.

The Star Tours ride system is still very usable and the attraction itself proves it. Sure, it's not Forbidden Journey but it doesn't mean it's not a viable option. It's certainly a better option for a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction than shoehorning it into Tower of Terror. In fact, it would be downright logical.

Next Big Thing

The Star Tours ride system is still very usable and the attraction itself proves it. Sure, it's not Forbidden Journey but it doesn't mean it's not a viable option. It's certainly a better option for a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction than shoehorning it into Tower of Terror. In fact, it would be downright logical.
The ST ride system is very limiting. Maybe not as far as what IPs you can stick in there (virtually anything), but as far as doing the IP justice.

Take Despicable Me at Uni for example... you think they don't regret putting their most popular animated IP into a limiting Ride system? They most certainly do. Omnimovers on the other hand are a great and timeless system. I happen to think that DHS should have one.

Mike S

Star Tours is very much like Forbidden Journey to me. They're both what I like to call "greatest hits" rides. A great mix of what can be the greatest moments and characters that also don't make much sense in the official canon of the series but they work incredibly well at the same time.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Any chance that Star Wars and TSL are just the start of "lands" at DHS and not really lands unto themselves? Could they still be different "Studios" - making the name truer than ever, "Disney's Hollywood Studios" (Hollywood Studios owned by Disney)
  1. Pixar Studio, featuring Toy Story and perhaps two other films.
  2. Lucas Films, featuring Star Wars, plus an Indiana Jones ride and the existing stunt show.
  3. Marvel Entertainment, featuring Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6
  4. Jim Henson Co., featuring the Muppets
It wouldn't take that much more effort to do this.
That was pretty much the master plan for what this park was going to become, and then Harry Potter opened. Keep the pieces from Disney-MGM that still worked and then transform the park's theme into basically a working studio by way of Mickey's Toontown, where the characters are the movie stars etc.

Hence the name change to Hollywood Studios, the Pixar Studio aesthetic, TSMM, the bridge after Toy Story that shares the design from Monsters Inc that leads to Soundstage One where the MI coaster was rumored to go and the long in the toothed rumor of converting Honey I Shrunk to A Bug's Life at the same time as making Jedi Training a year round attraction, and the rumors around that time to turn Backlot Express into Lucasfilm Backlot Express.

Again, and then Harry Potter opened, and... change of plans!

Last edited:

jhendrix

That was pretty much the master plan for what this park was going to become, and then Harry Potter opened. Keep the pieces from Disney-MGM that still worked and then transform the park's theme into basically a working studio by way of Mickey's Toontown, where the characters are the movie stars etc.

Hence the name change to Hollywood Studios, the Pixar Studio aesthetic, TSMM, the bridge after Toy Story that shares the design from Monsters Inc that leads to Soundstage One where the MI coaster was rumored to go and the long in the toothed rumor of converting Honey I Shrunk to A Bug's Life at the same time as making Jedi Training a year round attraction, and the rumors around that time to turn Backlot Express into Lucasfilm Backlot Express.

Again, and then Harry Potter opened, and... change of plans!

:-(
I'd almost rather not have known that. Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.

SirLink

Do you have a list in mind when you say 10?
  1. Star Wars
  2. AVATAR
  3. Harry Potter
What else?

4. Batman - Gotham
5. Metropolis - Superman
6: LOTR
7. Jurassic Park
8. Wonderland
9. Pirates of the Caribbean
10. Monstropolis
11. Far Far Away - Shrek - that would work as better 10th and would remove Pandora.

Mawg

Going back on some things I've said before, no more rethemes. Build new, not reuse. Star Tours should receive new scenes for every movie released to make it even better than it is now.

After the new land opens, Star Tours needs to be bulldozed.

Mawg

There are two things that make Star Tours a good ride and they are both related to the content. Remove Star Wars and remove the ability to have many random themes and you have a ride that people may want to ride once and be done. I can't think of another IP that would provide the diversity of scenes that Star Wars did. Without Star Wars you might as well just buy D Box tickets to a movie at your local theater. Once the new land opens, Star Tours should be bulldozed.

Mike S

4. Batman - Gotham
5. Metropolis - Superman
6: LOTR
7. Jurassic Park
8. Wonderland
9. Pirates of the Caribbean
10. Monstropolis
11. Far Far Away - Shrek - that would work as better 10th and would remove Pandora.
No. Pandora looks incredible and much better than Far Far Away which exists in Universal Singapore.

SirLink

No. Pandora looks incredible and much better than Far Far Away which exists in Universal Singapore.

Far Far Away in Singapore is a miniland. If built over 12 acres it could be something really special. Pandora should look incredible almost over 10 times what was spent on that than Far Far Away ...

ToTBellHop

Far Far Away in Singapore is a miniland. If built over 12 acres it could be something really special. Pandora should look incredible almost over 10 times what was spent on that than Far Far Away ...
At its price, it had better be incredible. It had better ACTUALLY let guests control one of those fake Na'vi with five fingers (it's been so many years since it came out that I've forgotten finer plot details). I expect 20,000 of those little sleep chambers.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The ST ride system is very limiting. Maybe not as far as what IPs you can stick in there (virtually anything), but as far as doing the IP justice.

Take Despicable Me at Uni for example... you think they don't regret putting their most popular animated IP into a limiting Ride system? They most certainly do. Omnimovers on the other hand are a great and timeless system. I happen to think that DHS should have one.

Why do they regret it? Despicable me is a very popular and well liked attraction.

Electricsoup

After the new land opens, Star Tours needs to be bulldozed.

Genuinely interested in why you say this? Personal reasons? Do you just not like it? Does ride data show that this should happen?

Every time we ride it (which is about 10/15 times a trip, 3/4 times a year), riders break out into applause and there is always a line and lots of people talking about how they loved the ride when they disembark. I realize this is one experience, but I'm interested in yours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom