Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

SirLink

Some insiders have indicated that the budget cuts to Toy Story Land may have been in response to Pandora at DAK going way over budget.

It was more like multiple things they MM+, Pandora, Shanghai ... they didn't want another project over budget.

If they want to add the M+G space and shop they could add them as additional stuff later on if they really want to.

jhendrix

Has anyone connected the two drawings that now show the tunnel between the two lands? I tried but don't have the proper program to do it.
hollywood-adventure-map-overlay-jpg.138820

clemmo

The thing that really bothers me with tsl and especially the slinky coaster concept video (besides lack of theming) is that it appears as if we can easily see the cm parking garage. What are they going to do about that or do they really care? Also this concept art was shown again at the presentation yesterday yet the overall concept video and art of the land show no feature resembling this, not sure what's up with that.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_25055.jpg

cindy_k

I like that we will be getting (hopefully) a lot more trees. The back of Studios was always very concrete jungle feeling. The shade will be a nice addition. :cat:

JohnWD

What you mean is what the current management see as *their own* best interests, not that of the company. What would be in the best financial interests of the company would be to build high quality, high budget, highly themed and unique attractions that attract crowds for generations to come - attractions that can stand together with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Splash Mountain, and are unlike anything you can find at Busch Gardens or Six Flags. To say Mine Train is as good as Pirates is crazy, and yet that's what passes for 'E-ticket' these days.

Invest in quality and Disney would reap the financial rewards for decades to come, but long-term investment is a thing of the past, for this Disney would rather have $10 today than invest to get $100 in the future.
Even if you were CEO there would be this forum with the majority of posters lambasting you! :)

Mike S

The more I look at the pedestrian underpass between Toy Story Land and Star Wars, the more it looks like it will double as a backstage access road. With the park's current design, the backstage area behind The Great Movie Ride (including service areas for ABC Commissary, SciFi Dine-In, Writer's Stop, and Studio Catering Company) is essentially an island, without direct access to other backstage areas

For the new design, it seems like this backstage area will grow, and will include service areas for additional stores and restaurants. Given this, I think they would see value in adding vehicular access, so they can restock during the day and perform other back-of-house duties without using the guest walkways

There is a similar transition in Tokyo DisneySEA, between Mysterious Island and Mermaid Lagoon (in large part because tunnels are impractical with the waterway surrounding the park), also serving the central areas of the park. From Mysterious Island, guests walk through a narrow canyon with a waterfall, then pass through a cave/tunnel and emerge seamlessly into Mermaid Lagoon. Here's an aerial photo that shows the backstage road:
the-volcano-houses-the-journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth-ride-big.jpg

And a view of the Mermaid Lagoon side. The portal itself is on the far left side of the photo, and the road is hidden behind the wall with the aqueduct-type arches:
DisneySea-20.jpg

Photos of the Mysterious Island side are tough to find, but I did find a walkthrough video showing what the transition looks like (during a blizzard, naturally). That area begins around 24:55

Obviously the architectural styling would need to change to match the respective lands in WDW, but this seems to be the concept they're using. And if it's good enough for TDS...

I'd love to go to TDR during a blizzard :inlove:
image.jpeg

Just imagine Frozen Land during one :jawdrop:

Cesar R M

I'm lolling because I don't even know how to respond to how much has been cut from what was already a fairly cheap-looking land. Unless they're cutting everything in an attempt to get the new rides up and running before the holiday season this year, this is ridiculous.
Thats probably where the budget for GOTG in the TOT came? D:

UpAllNight

Read a great post on TPI which is making me look at this project in a different light. I'm now trying to look at this project as placemaking, ala Springfield and the expansion of Super silly Fun land at USH, which Universal were pretty much widely complemented on. The headliner is already there and this is just creating an area around it to make it more relevant. This thinking sort of makes it easier to accept in my mind; the extent of which will become apparent depending on how much else we get. The acreage of the initially announced project was far too big for a land of this calibre.

roj2323

The thing that really bothers me with tsl and especially the slinky coaster concept video (besides lack of theming) is that it appears as if we can easily see the cm parking garage. What are they going to do about that or do they really care? Also this concept art was shown again at the presentation yesterday yet the overall concept video and art of the land show no feature resembling this, not sure what's up with that.
Toy-Story-Land_Full_25055.jpg

It looks as if they will be refacing part of the back of TSMM with something that looks like a fence so I see no reason why they couldn't do the same thing to the parking garage. It would be just as simple as the cladding they added to the Disney springs garages, just a different shape and finish and an affordable fix relatively speaking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom