Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BrerJon

What I mean is that Disney is going to do what is in their own best interests. Today that = $$.

What you mean is what the current management see as *their own* best interests, not that of the company. What would be in the best financial interests of the company would be to build high quality, high budget, highly themed and unique attractions that attract crowds for generations to come - attractions that can stand together with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Splash Mountain, and are unlike anything you can find at Busch Gardens or Six Flags. To say Mine Train is as good as Pirates is crazy, and yet that's what passes for 'E-ticket' these days.

Invest in quality and Disney would reap the financial rewards for decades to come, but long-term investment is a thing of the past, for this Disney would rather have $10 today than invest to get $100 in the future.

G00fyDad

What you mean is what the current management see as *their own* best interests, not that of the company. What would be in the best financial interests of the company would be to build high quality, high budget, highly themed and unique attractions that attract crowds for generations to come - attractions that can stand together with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, or Splash Mountain, and are unlike anything you can find at Busch Gardens or Six Flags. To say Mine Train is as good as Pirates is crazy, and yet that's what passes for 'E-ticket' these days.

Invest in quality and Disney would reap the financial rewards for decades to come, but long-term investment is a thing of the past, for this Disney would rather have $10 today than invest to get $100 in the future.

No. I meant exactly what I said. However, I did not say that it was a smart thing to do.

RSoxNo1

AFAIK, Disney no longer refers to any attraction by the ticket names. It's only people on forums like this that still use those terms. So, your comment attributing that reference to Disney is not accurate.

And, the use of the terms on these forums is nothing like what was used to classify attractions back in the day when the ticket books were still in use. But, that's another discussion that has been round and round many times...
In the leaked Avatar documents the simulator was referred to as an E-ticket and the boat ride was referred to as a C-ticket. Jay Rasulo referred to Little Mermaid as an E-ticket as well.

hpyhnt 1000

I agree with all the previous sentiments. TSL is rapidly looking like a disappointment. I get they're slashing stuff to save money but A) considering current prices and profits it's infuriating to see so much cost-cutting, and B) there's got to be a happy medium there where we can still get good theming without breaking the bank.

Also, once everything is built it's going to be very weird to walk between these two new areas.

From what still looks to be a VERY detailed and cohesive SWL...
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 11.06.07 AM.png

...to what is increasingly looking like bare bones Dinoland level theming in TSL.
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 11.06.31 AM.png

djkidkaz

Has anyone connected the two drawings that now show the tunnel between the two lands? I tried but don't have the proper program to do it.

dreamscometrue

I agree with all the previous sentiments. TSL is rapidly looking like a disappointment. I get they're slashing stuff to save money but A) considering current prices and profits it's infuriating to see so much cost-cutting, and B) there's got to be a happy medium there where we can still get good theming without breaking the bank.

Also, once everything is built it's going to be very weird to walk between these two new areas.

From what still looks to be a VERY detailed and cohesive SWL...
View attachment 138773

...to what is increasingly looking like bare bones Dinoland level theming in TSL.
View attachment 138774
So, the lower far right of your Star Wars Land concept art matches perfectly with the far left of the Toy Story Land on the wall concept art in DHS? :)

clemmo

I'd be interested to know what types of dining and shopping will be in tsl as of now there doesn't look to be a whole lot of buildings just a lot of unused space.

doctornick

I'd be interested to know what types of dining and shopping will be in tsl as of now there doesn't look to be a whole lot of buildings just a lot of unused space.

There appears to be dining (still present in the new concept art) themed to being a lunch box with an open door propped open by a thermos. Probably a quick serve. There a tables with umbrellas near that.

What everyone assumed was a gift shop (a barn looking thing near the land's entrance) doesn't appear to be there any more. Maybe they will have a smaller gift shop somewhere that just isn't evident.

The building with a board game on top that was in the original art, but not in the new one was suspected to be bathrooms. they may just be going with the current bathrooms instead (which will be at the entrance to the land, across the path from where Jack Sparrow was).

FerretAfros

The more I look at the pedestrian underpass between Toy Story Land and Star Wars, the more it looks like it will double as a backstage access road. With the park's current design, the backstage area behind The Great Movie Ride (including service areas for ABC Commissary, SciFi Dine-In, Writer's Stop, and Studio Catering Company) is essentially an island, without direct access to other backstage areas

For the new design, it seems like this backstage area will grow, and will include service areas for additional stores and restaurants. Given this, I think they would see value in adding vehicular access, so they can restock during the day and perform other back-of-house duties without using the guest walkways

There is a similar transition in Tokyo DisneySEA, between Mysterious Island and Mermaid Lagoon (in large part because tunnels are impractical with the waterway surrounding the park), also serving the central areas of the park. From Mysterious Island, guests walk through a narrow canyon with a waterfall, then pass through a cave/tunnel and emerge seamlessly into Mermaid Lagoon. Here's an aerial photo that shows the backstage road:
the-volcano-houses-the-journey-to-the-center-of-the-earth-ride-big.jpg

And a view of the Mermaid Lagoon side. The portal itself is on the far left side of the photo, and the road is hidden behind the wall with the aqueduct-type arches:
DisneySea-20.jpg

Photos of the Mysterious Island side are tough to find, but I did find a walkthrough video showing what the transition looks like (during a blizzard, naturally). That area begins around 24:55

Obviously the architectural styling would need to change to match the respective lands in WDW, but this seems to be the concept they're using. And if it's good enough for TDS...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom