Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

BrianLo

The entrance to Toy Story Mania, the Woody's Round-up area and Al's Toy Barn, the restrooms, the design of the coaster plus theming, plus the exterior theming to the Alien Men ride (the quick service restaurant was also re-positioned forward, I'm assuming to add more space to the Star Wars entrance)... hardly one element was sparred in this cutback. Is all that money going into pockets, or to Shanghai, or will it eventually make its way to the Studios at some point? Please tell me there's an upcoming stockholders meeting/Q&A soon.

Restrooms are still present, just moved and tacked onto the quick serve.

The budget axe was not kind to this land at all. :(

I also question the lack of retail (seems terribly out of keeping with Disney). Although retail was added a year after the fact to TSPL in Hong Kong, so I guess there is some precedent.

I don't get how we're on the third iteration of this land being built and there is still no proper Pizza Planet or Al's Toy Barn. Seems like a no-brainer money making opportunity to me.

FigmentJedi

Would think someone will catch that eventually and it will change to something like "Green Alien Swirling Saucers" to avoid the acronym.
LGM Swirling Saucers. Of course, that'd require them to acknowledge the Buzz cartoon's name for the Pizza Planet aliens and they hate the idea acknowledging that show in anything. Even took out the figure of Booster that was in the Buzz giftshop.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, Slinky looks shockingly bad. Can anyone make me feel better about what exactly a "concept video" entails and how it might differ from the finished product.
People can try but they would be speaking from hopeful ignorance. Even at the concept level a roller coaster's layout is going to be rather well developed and understood. Concept design is not about vague ideas, it is defining the intended guest experience.

Siren

Unless you're someone like @Siren , "defending" type comments will just be met with derision, so why bother posting. Whether a ride is good or not really takes riding it along with the intended audience. But the theming can also play a big part in enjoying the whole area - we will see how Disney does on this.

I love watching the construction process, so that is the part I'm focused on now.
LOL. @JohnWD -- like, what in the world are you talking about?!? Oh never mind that. I finally watched the video.

And, I just have to thank you so much for tagging me about this, it means the world to me. As you know, I have been following Toy Story Playland when it just a rumor. Oh my.... that was well over *two* years ago!,

Here is the epic & original Toy Story Playland thread when it was all just a rumor. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/toy-story-playland.892865/ Good times. LOL.

And, back then we were all *so* excited about the prospect of getting this, lol.
1z1qpm9.jpg

29fzeis.jpg

tspl_conceptart.jpg

I even accurately predicted where Disney would place Toy Story Playland. Again, over two years ago!
k9ta4n.jpg

Now it's confirmed that we're getting this. Yay!
TSL-Overview.jpg

So okay, it's not the original concept that we were hoping for. But, it is still a major improvement over the Toy Story Land Paris that we originally thought we were getting..

DHS is in desperate need of family style attractions, so I remain hopeful and will wait & see the final product before judging.

Oh, and @JohnWD, you can tag me any time you want! I just love getting the most recent Disney news!

Sped2424

LOL. @JohnWD -- like, what in the world are you talking about?!? Oh never mind that. I finally watched the video.

And, I just have to thank you so much for tagging me about this, it means the world to me. As you know, I have been following Toy Story Playland when it just a rumor. Oh my.... that was well over *two* years ago!,

Here is the epic & original Toy Story Playland thread when it was all just a rumor. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/toy-story-playland.892865/ Good times. LOL.

And, back then we were all *so* excited about the prospect of getting this, lol.
1z1qpm9.jpg

29fzeis.jpg

tspl_conceptart.jpg

I even accurately predicted where Disney would place Toy Story Playland. Again, over two years ago!
k9ta4n.jpg

Now it's confirmed that we're getting this. Yay!
TSL-Overview.jpg

So okay, it's not the original concept that we were hoping for. But, it is still a major improvement over the Toy Story Land Paris that we originally thought we were getting..

DHS is in desperate need of family style attractions, so I remain hopeful and will wait & see the final product before judging.

Oh, and @JohnWD, you can tag me any time you want! I just love getting the most recent Disney news!
The only improvement I see is that here there is a coaster. Toy Story land in paris is actually trying harder to use some sort of a theme and stick with it. Our larger version sadly gave up on that clearly.

BrerJon

This 'land' gets worse every day.

At best it's the equal of Paris in my view. I'd call it Toy Story Dinoland, but at least Dinoland has a genuinely unique attraction in addition to the carnival rides.

The US Slinky is probably more fun than RC Racer, but nothing we don't already have (Barnstormer, Mine Train etc.), so I'd prefer RC but it has capacity issues which a coaster doesn't.

A-S-S teacups are pretty much a dead exchange for Slinky Spin and Parachutes. At least with Parachutes you get a good view over the park.

Disney used to offer experiences you couldn't get anywhere else. Now the best we can hope for is a couple of off the shelf carnival rides.

G00fyDad

I'm going to try to sum up the last year or so in Disney forums (Not just this one):

"Hey Disney! Why aren't you keeping up with the times with technology?!"
(Disney finally adds wifi to the resorts, MM+, etc.)
"But we didn't ask (demand) that! Now you're wasting money!!"
"Stop sitting around and getting stagnant! Build something!"
(Disney begins building, a lot)
"But, but, but only half of that stuff is what I wanted and you're doing it wrong! The other half is useless and now you're wasting more money!"
"Why don't they listen to me?! I could run that billion dollar company myself and do a much better job!"

Disney is going to do Disney. Simple as that. They don't care what the minority has to say about how they run the business. They only care about the bottom line and unless people were to rise as one and stop going to the parks and giving our money to them then they will continue to do what they want to do and not what guests want them to do. Is this the Disney we knew as children? No. Will it ever be that Disney again? No. Disney is going to change in ways that many on Disney forums will not like. We just have to deal with it. This Toy Story Land is likely going to be less than what we as forum members are going to see as worthy. However, I still think it is going to be loads better than any of the other comparable lands in other parks, and the average non-forum Disney guest will love the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom