Flower and garden expands to 90 days in 2016

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm guessing the acts do it for free (for now) as a promotional appearance for their own good. Though who knows when they will institute the NFL Super Bowl model by making the acts PAY for the right to perform there...

And depending on the act they DO drive admissions. During Food & Wine Boys II Men attracted a large number of well dressed people (women in dresses, men in dress slacks).

Yes they do but I'm sure some bean counter detected a drop in Alcohol sales of %0.001% when the bands were playing and only increases in sales are allowed at WDW....

rael ramone

Yes they do but I'm sure some bean counter detected a drop in Alcohol sales of %0.001% when the bands were playing and only increases in sales are allowed at WDW....

Didn't they used to have bands play every night for F&G? I don't know if the 2016 full schedule has been released yet, but 2015 and years before it was only on weekends (vs the F&W that enjoyed both a full schedule of bands as well as alcohol being more prominent in the theme).

In the end they are going to do maximizes revenue, and they have determined 'festivalizing' Epcot is the way to go.

While F&W went from a time to plan to attend to one to plan to avoid, the one F&G I went to seemed to have the appropriate focus on 'flowers' and 'gardens' - and the one food item I had was actually good (a watermelon & frisee salad w/ balsamic IIRC).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Didn't they used to have bands play every night for F&G? I don't know if the 2016 full schedule has been released yet, but 2015 and years before it was only on weekends (vs the F&W that enjoyed both a full schedule of bands as well as alcohol being more prominent in the theme).

In the end they are going to do maximizes revenue, and they have determined 'festivalizing' Epcot is the way to go.

While F&W went from a time to plan to attend to one to plan to avoid, the one F&G I went to seemed to have the appropriate focus on 'flowers' and 'gardens' - and the one food item I had was actually good (a watermelon & frisee salad w/ balsamic IIRC).

F&G used to be my favorite festival as it used to have wall to wall demos of garden design and how to stuff, Now it's more geared towards alcohol and food sales and the actual garden related demos are few and far between, The 'Sales per Sq Ft' that Pressler and his boys Staggs included is destroying the place because it's the ONLY metric they seem to look at.

Yes I like a nice glass of wine or a good brew, Back in the beginning when there were one or two venues serving adult beverages it was a lot better because most people would get their beverage and consume slowly over time, Now with the Alcohol booths every 50 yards or so it's an atmosphere which feels more like 'Bike Week'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You think? I doubt it, they had a full line up for F&W and they seemed to do just fine.

If the bands do not come back well we can write them off to yet more budget cutting because they got in the way of selling alcohol, If they do come back you were correct and disney was slow getting the schedules up.

ToTBellHop

F&G musical acts were nightly until a few years ago.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Careful: Your usual snarkiness is bordering on inappropriateness.

What's inappropriate about calling out Disney on the conversion of World Showcase into the worlds largest outdoor bar, I can remember when F&W was a fun time to go when it was about Food and Wine PAIRINGS now it's a time to avoid World Showcase especially during the weekends, Now F&G is going down the same road.

I like my Adult Beverages in moderation I like them even better with good food, I DONT like environments where the 'pub crawl' mentality is ascendant If I really wanted that I can go to 'Bike Week' in Daytona, Sturgis or Laconia or Panama CIty during Spring Break.

It's about time Disney was honest about what they want which is to sell massive quantities of alcohol without appropriate controls. I'm surprised that there has not been a serious accident caused by an overserved patron at one of the so called 'Festivals' but statistics say one is coming and Disney will reap the whirlwind then.

JohnD

What's inappropriate about calling out Disney on the conversion of World Showcase into the worlds largest outdoor bar, I can remember when F&W was a fun time to go when it was about Food and Wine PAIRINGS now it's a time to avoid World Showcase especially during the weekends, Now F&G is going down the same road.

I like my Adult Beverages in moderation I like them even better with good food, I DONT like environments where the 'pub crawl' mentality is ascendant If I really wanted that I can go to 'Bike Week' in Daytona, Sturgis or Laconia or Panama CIty during Spring Break.

It's about time Disney was honest about what they want which is to sell massive quantities of alcohol without appropriate controls. I'm surprised that there has not been a serious accident caused by an overserved patron at one of the so called 'Festivals' but statistics say one is coming and Disney will reap the whirlwind then.

Didn't mean that. Your reference to malt liquor. I'm just sayin'. . .

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Spring floral festivals aren't allowed to serve food and wine? I've been to yearly Daffodil Festivals and Cherry Blossom Festivals and Lilac Festivals. All have food, alcohol, and musical acts.

Yes but in all those alcohol sales are not the primary focus of the event. We have garden festivals and tours up here as well but they don't have a beer and wine tent every 50 yards. They do sell alcohol though but generally at the ones here it's at single location and it's nice to have a good craft beer or a glass of wine while looking at the exhibits.

JohnD

Actually I'm surprised that Disney does not sell it at the festivals because it's cheap at the wholesale level.

You're on a roll. (When are you not?). Just looking out for you. That particular beverage brings up images of stereotypes. No, I won't spell it out. It would be like associating Guinness with a drunk Irishman, although this particular stereotype is okay. The other isn't. That's as far as I'll go.

Brad Bishop

So we complain about Star Wars Weekends ending but also about another festival being extended during the same time period?

People will find a reason to complain about anything.

I like F&G (not a fan of F&W). I think that the main complaint is that they use the festivals as a way to keep attendance up at the parks without actually investing in them. I think SWW was the same. "Build another attraction? No. Let's just have a Star Wars festival and people will come in droves."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom