ESPN Wide World of Sports Expansion

plutofan15

No. The state of CT and Disney reached a long-term agreement in Bristol, CT. I remember going by there as a kid when ESPN was a building or two with some dishes in the front and now it is a virtual college campus.

Correct - this is the main campus which does not include the large building to the north of this which is referred to as North Campus. While there may be infrastructure put into place to allow broadcasting of sporting events, I can 100% guarantee that there will be no ESPN broadcast studios built with this new construction.
upload_2016-1-28_9-1-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-28_8-57-2.png
    upload_2016-1-28_8-57-2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

Next Big Thing

Correct - this is the main campus which does not include the large building to the north of this which is referred to as North Campus. While there may be infrastructure put into place to allow broadcasting of sporting events, I can 100% guarantee that there will be no ESPN broadcast studios built with this new construction.
View attachment 128286
There's already a full studio/broadcast spot from WWoS anyway. Another one would just be pointless.

plutofan15

There's already a full studio/broadcast spot from WWoS anyway. Another one would just be pointless.

Well, there you go. I have not been there in nearly 15 and even then it was a quick visit. I figured there had to be with the Braves spring training games and all the other events held there. Thanks for confirming.

Next Big Thing

Well, there you go. I have not been there in nearly 15 and even then it was a quick visit. I figured there had to be with the Braves spring training games and all the other events held there. Thanks for confirming.
They built it when it the complex was re-done and re-branded into ESPN WWoS

Next Big Thing

Now that you mention it, I do recall that being done. Also, ESPN used the complex as a "lab" a few years ago. They did a lot of work on the 3D technology that never gained any traction with the short-lived 3D channel.
Yep, they built it with that in mind actually, but they have filmed many segments for SportsCenter down here (mostly Spring Training and Pre-Season Football related) that they simply send on up to Bristol and they edit it into the nightly broadcast.

DisDadWoz

I doubt there is any money in it? I coach a travel baseball team and I know there is money involved in hosting big tournaments, swimming? I just don't know?
The Orlando Y is having 2 huge national meets there this March so I assume there is money to be made. I would also think Disney could keep filling up the rooms to make it convenient like they do for the other sports at the ESPN site. While I doubt this is going to be an aquatics center, I think WDW could find a way to make money if they did build one.

DisDadWoz

I will say this again the womens tennis crowd even at the professional level is a very tight non spending crowd. I'm not think the swimming crowd is much better. BTW I my friends son is ranked in the top 10 in FL for swimming, it's all well and good but business wise they aren't a spending bunch.
I find that interesting. We have several groups of swim teams who we see at various meets who not only take up hotel space, but restaurants and other activities that are in the area. I'm sure there are many who probably don't but my experience has been they spend. Judging from the 700+ swimmers signed up for the week before Spring Break to be in Orlando next month, they need places to eat and things to do in their downtime.

plutofan15

I find that interesting. We have several groups of swim teams who we see at various meets who not only take up hotel space, but restaurants and other activities that are in the area. I'm sure there are many who probably don't but my experience has been they spend. Judging from the 700+ swimmers signed up for the week before Spring Break to be in Orlando next month, they need places to eat and things to do in their downtime.
When I swam in college, us northern schools spent nearly all of Christmas break training in FL. We stayed and swam in a complex in Altamonte Springs. Stayed in a hotel a few miles away. I have no idea if the pool is still around as that was 30+ years ago. I know the hotel still stands but under a different name.Fun times. So there is always that possibility but as mentioned, I doubt this is an aquatic complex.

matt9112

It is currently spread all over the place, from the Studios parking lot, to Epic, to WWOS. With the Studios redevelopment moving forward, it seems to make sense to get everything over at WWOS where it belongs.

I think there may be a bigger trend to move special intrests "lack of a better word" to dedicated facility's so they are not putting additional pressure on the parks. This will be great not having all this extra load on theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom