ESPN Wide World of Sports Expansion

DisneyWorld30th

Could this be the bowling alley that was announced several years ago?

Disney announced plans to construct a 160,000 square foot 100-lane bowling stadium, which would be the largest in the country. It will offer stadium-style seating, a restaurant and would be completed in early 2014. The stadium would be used for events or open to guests. It would also be used as a venue to host the United States Bowling Congress tournaments.[10] At the moment, however, the plans seem to be on hold

ABQ

Disney announced plans to construct a 160,000 square foot 100-lane bowling stadium, which would be the largest in the country. It will offer stadium-style seating, a restaurant and would be completed in early 2014. The stadium would be used for events or open to guests. It would also be used as a venue to host the United States Bowling Congress tournaments.[10] At the moment, however, the plans seem to be on hold
wow, cool. ESPN still carries bowling too, so it makes some sense.

plutofan15

Yes it would. Not a water park like many people think when you say aquatic center but a place to hold large meets. Orlando Y seems to be the only one in the area and that is not quite state of the art.
Many years ago in the mid 80's that was the Justice Aquatic Center. I competed in the NCAA DII Swimming Championships therein what I believe was 1985. It was state of the art then but that was 30 years ago. Wow, after typing that, I am old. :(

alphac2005

Sounds like the size for a television studio...could they possibly be moving their studios from CT to Orlando?

No. The state of CT and Disney reached a long-term agreement in Bristol, CT. I remember going by there as a kid when ESPN was a building or two with some dishes in the front and now it is a virtual college campus.

truecoat

Here's how it matches up according to google maps and a little 'shopping.

wide world of sports.jpg

bhg469

Are the Braves still pulling out and doing a joint facility in a few years? That is a ton of money leaving that facility when they do. I wish they were a client because I'd love to get a paycheck for going there but we have our hands full this year with 10 sites, 2 more than last year. That equates to 12 paid days in Florida in February and March, hoping for more!

Rteetz

I would like this because this would mean more vacations lol. My dad bowls in USBC tournaments.

Rteetz

Disney field a permit today with the South Florida Water Management district for a new building and associated parking at Wide World of Sports. The building will be multi-story and have a 179,000 sq ft footprint with a total of 286,000 sq ft. The building will be going roughly where I have marked in red, with new parking in blue. I have not found any information on what this building will be.

View attachment 128145

View attachment 128144
DO we have an expiration date?

Next Big Thing

Are the Braves still pulling out and doing a joint facility in a few years? That is a ton of money leaving that facility when they do. I wish they were a client because I'd love to get a paycheck for going there but we have our hands full this year with 10 sites, 2 more than last year. That equates to 12 paid days in Florida in February and March, hoping for more!
I don't think it's final, but they are definitely looking to find a new place for 2018.

Their contract with Disney is through 2017.

Jon81uk

This is completely a guess on my part but I think it has to do with the possible closure of Indian Jones at HS. it looks like a large multi use building for thing like the cheerleader competition. or other events that need a large arena.

This does sound like a fairly likely option, but a square/round building feels strange for an arena type thing. Unless they would have retractable seating so it can be used in multiple ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom