Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

Any new info on when this ride is going to close ... With the delay of the frozen ride and soarin being closed thru june I have a hard time believing they will also close this ride between april and july ... Thanks !!

Why are you having a hard time believing it, considering they're in two different parks?
You are probably right ... But would hope that they would wait for some of the new stuff to open ... Even if it's in other park ... Before closing this ride ... More of a wish I guess ...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't see this on the refurb list on wdwmagic....is there is a reason for that?

Edit: But i do see it as unavailable on disney's website...

Peter Pano

You are probably right ... But would hope that they would wait for some of the new stuff to open ... Even if it's in other park ... Before closing this ride ... More of a wish I guess ...

I feel ya. We have our first family trip booked for mid April. Seemed like a good idea. Now it turns out we're too late for BTM and Soarin, while in all likelihood too early for RoL and Frozenstrom. Oh well, more incentive to plan our next trip (as if we needed more)!

sgtmgd

No, the top of the mountain needs a good sandblast and clean job as well; but, the whole ride needs to be gutted to bring it back to some semblance of being a worthy Disney mountain.

Park ops will have a hard time allowing an E offline for the multi year job it needs... but, maybe that's where Frontierland's expansion could come in to help.

Anyway, I look forward to the new projection mapped finale on BTM in the swamps. It's great in Anaheim.

I could see taking SM offline an extended amount of time once Avatar land opens, that should soften the blow of having it closed so long..

The_Jobu

I feel ya. We have our first family trip booked for mid April. Seemed like a good idea. Now it turns out we're too late for BTM and Soarin, while in all likelihood too early for RoL and Frozenstrom. Oh well, more incentive to plan our next trip (as if we needed more)!

I can sympathize, heading there late-April myself.

Castle Cake Apologist

I'd like to know this too. They really just look like rocks falling from the ceiling :O

Right! I have very vague memories of the effect, but I think the rocks on the sides mostly just shook for most of my life... I'm not sure I was aware that rocks ever actually fell from the ceiling. I'm 28 years old, but I'm not sure when the effect shown above was changed?

CheekBoys

Right! I have very vague memories of the effect, but I think the rocks on the sides mostly just shook for most of my life... I'm not sure I was aware that rocks ever actually fell from the ceiling. I'm 28 years old, but I'm not sure when the effect shown above was changed?
It also looks like they have weight as they fall. Which seems like they wouldn't if they were on a track?

ToTBellHop

Yeah, I never remember seeing the effect in Martin's video. Perhaps we are just too young.

halltd

Yeah, I never remember seeing the effect in Martin's video. Perhaps we are just too young.
I vividly remember the rocks shaking on the side of the lift, but I don't think I've ever seen the falling rocks in the background and my family has visited the parks since they opened. Is that a real video? I wonder when they were pulled.

CheekBoys

I vividly remember the rocks shaking on the side of the lift, but I don't think I've ever seen the falling rocks in the background and my family has visited the parks since they opened. Is that a real video? I wonder when they were pulled.
I am thinking it isn't a real video. Looks almost too real.

ToTBellHop

I have the same memories as you--rocks moving to the sides but not in back. Sometimes the mind plays tricks though. And sometimes internet videos are fake. But that isn't Martin's usual m.o.

Clamman73

I have the same memories as you--rocks moving to the sides but not in back. Sometimes the mind plays tricks though. And sometimes internet videos are fake. But that isn't Martin's usual m.o.
I can remember the rocks on the sides having movement, and I think these are early '80s memories of it, but likewise I don't have a recollection of the far back area having movement, unless I just don't remember.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom