Big Thunder Mountain Railroad closing for major refurbishment August to November 2016

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Did it not feel familiar?

Out of the tunnels and aside from one corner missing it's the same as Orlando.

It felt different to me in a couple ways although it could have been my imagination if you say they are almost identical. It felt like there were less rollers than WDW has (is that what you call them, the quick up and down small hills back to back where you get a bit of air between you and the seat?). Also, there was a downhill part that curved through the tunnel that felt longer and faster than anything I ever felt at WDW. Never felt that same speed in WDW's version.

Marlins1

It felt different to me in a couple ways although it could have been my imagination if you say they are almost identical. It felt like there were less rollers than WDW has (is that what you call them, the quick up and down small hills back to back where you get a bit of air between you and the seat?). Also, there was a downhill part that curved through the tunnel that felt longer and faster than anything I ever felt at WDW. Never felt that same speed in WDW's version.
WDW's BTMR definitely feels a lot faster when you sit towards the back of the train. It feels extremely tame in the first few rows because acceleration is held up until hills flatten out.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
WDW's BTMR definitely feels a lot faster when you sit towards the back of the train. It feels extremely tame in the first few rows.

Yeah, I know. This is one of the reasons why I prefer to sit towards the back on all coasters. In the front, you are halfway over the drop before the rest of the train catches up and gets going.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I figured that - just wanted to make sure that was not the reason. It always makes some difference but on BTMR the back half is like a completely different ride IMO.

It was probably a combination of it being night and just being excited about riding their version for the first time, haha

JoeCamel

Even back in the early-mid 90's, BTM's track in Orlando was feeling a bit rough (and that was back when maintenance was actually competent). I also rode Paris' at the time when it was still new and it was incredibly smooth by comparison. I'm assuming no major track work has been done to WDW's in decades, could definitely use a track replacement. Disneyland recently got one apparently, so WDW could stand one as well.

While BTM could be smoother, i'd be far more worried about Space Mountain. At least Big Thunder doesn't feel like it's going to collapse at any moment...

A lot of track work was done within the last 4 years at the WDW BTM. It was down for an extended refurb and they were cutting and welding for a couple of months.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You want painful? DLP's version of SM almost knocked me out. Head bouncing back and forth almost the whole time.

Although, I still enjoyed it...:D
Yeah. It's gotten so rough (and has been for a while) Michelle has to sit on her coat to lift her head higher. And then she will only ride once a day. Thankfully new trains are arriving the start of 2017 (finally) that as well as new chassis and wheels will have a new restraint system.

At least when it reopened earlier this summer every visual effect was back in working order. It's such a feast to the eyes it makes Orlando seem as antiquated as it is fx wise. Heck, even in 1975 Orlando's Space had more to look at than today.

alissafalco

Are we sure this is even happening anymore? This was a thread bump from early August.
I'd really like to know as well. But knowing Disney they like to announce refurbs literally right before they go down. April is still over 3 months away, they have plenty of time to spring it on us.

Didn't they do a big refurb a few years back? Was thinking they did a complete repaint etc.
They did. I rode it Saturday and the last time I had rode it before that was before the refurb. Didn't even know they had. It wasn't noticeable. The biggest thing I remember (I was young so I'm not totally sure) but I remember some rocks on the walls of the third lift hill moving.

DisneyFans4Life

Yeah...on the last lift hill, the rocks did move and pretended to come loose and fall on you. I wish we could get some more details as to what this refurb will bring. It's my favorite ride at MK!

bcoachable

I think during the last refurb, in addition to the rock paint and track smoothing, there were some que additions as well. They were made to help make waiting in line a bit more tolerable. Gave the kids something to uh, blow up. I also think they added a way to check the air in the mines before you went down... It will be fun to see how the ride is plussed next. I am putting my money on the Disneyland versions ending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom