Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

flynnibus

Premium Member
You can't soar in a helicopter. It does not have wings to soar on.

Helicopters do have wings... The rotor. It's called a Rotary-wing. And helicopters can glide too... It's pretty much the concept behind gyro copters. Also look up "auto rotate"

This is all semantics because the way they filmed the movie is just a stupid diversion here... But dont spread misinformation about Helios :)

space42

Just to recap the current rumor.
Soarin' closes in January for around 6 months to connect the new theatre, reconfigure the queue, and upgrade the projection system to digital. When it re-opens it will still be the current film. The new film will then debut sometime after the Shanghai exclusivity agreement expires in 2017.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Helicopters do have wings... The rotor. It's called a Rotary-wing. And helicopters can glide too... It's pretty much the concept behind gyro copters. Also look up "auto rotate"

This is all semantics because the way they filmed the movie is just a stupid diversion here... But dont spread misinformation about Helios :)
I see. What happens when said Rotary-wing stops turning? It sure isn't soaring. ;) Soaring is un-powered flight. Helios beat the air into submission. Sailplanes dance upon the air with gentle grace.

Regardless, they did use several methods of filming the current attraction. But soaring has very particular meanings.

*1023*

flynnibus

Premium Member
I see. What happens when said Rotary-wing stops turning? It sure isn't soaring. ;) Soaring is un-powered flight. Helios beat the air into submission. Sailplanes dance upon the air with gentle grace.

Regardless, they did use several methods of filming the current attraction. But soaring has very particular meanings.

*1023*

Please... Please.... Read something, anything about helicopters. Copters use lift just like a wing (blades are wings) - they don't push or beat the air to move. The difference is a airplane wing needs forward speed to move the air over a wing to create lift. A helicopter moves the wing instead of trying to move the plane. And when the rotor stops that's where auto rotation comes into play.

FutureWorld1982

Soarin' closes in January for around 6 months to connect the new theatre, reconfigure the queue, and upgrade the projection system to digital. When it re-opens it will still be the current film. The new film will then debut sometime after the Shanghai exclusivity agreement expires in 2017.
Didn't they announce that Soarin' Over the World would come to Epcot and DCA in 2016? Could it be introduced in the summer/fall?

Castle Cake Apologist

Ugh.... I hate it when people try to bring the world down to their comprehension level..

Excuse me? There's no need to be nasty, though that's generally your MO. You know nothing about me, or my comprehension level.

The other scenery (Disneyland aside) could literally be anywhere. California doesn't have the lock on snowy peaks and congested traffic.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

.. and restroom improvements.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Please... Please.... Read something, anything about helicopters. Copters use lift just like a wing (blades are wings) - they don't push or beat the air to move. The difference is a airplane wing needs forward speed to move the air over a wing to create lift. A helicopter moves the wing instead of trying to move the plane. And when the rotor stops that's where auto rotation comes into play.
No... When the engine stops, that's when the clutch is disengaged and thus begins auto-rotation. When the rotor stops rotating however, you want to be on the ground. This is still not soaring. Read something about soaring.:)

*1023*

Luxe

*facepalm*

Does the term 'the spirit of flight' mean anything to you? Try reading the stories presented and the theme.... It's about the people, their aspirations, the magic of flight. It's not about "extreme sports".

Gliding is appreciated by even fighter pilots because it's one of the purist forms of flight and the sensations it allows.

My point was the majority of people walking through that queue would assume that you're about to get into some type of plane based on the themeing only to hop into what seems to be a hang glider(feet dangling, canopy above). I don't recall ever saying that it was about extreme sports but you're free to interpret my words however you like I guess.

wdwfan4ver

Epcot is going to be a mess before Frozen Ever After opens then in May from a crowd standpoint before World Showcase open. It basically tells me that Living with the Land, and Test Track lines are going to be longer before World Showcase opens along with Space Ship Earth and Mission: Space.

This is why Disney should have fixed innoventions, Imagination Pavilion, Universe of Energy before updating Soarin' and should Disney be using Wonders of Life More than a Festival area to the the general public.

Rteetz

Epcot is going to be a mess before Frozen Ever After opens then in May from a crowd standpoint before World Showcase open. It basically tells me that Living with the Land, and Test Track lines are going to be longer before World Showcase opens along with Space Ship Earth and Mission: Space.

This is why Disney should have fixed innoventions, Imagination Pavilion, Universe of Energy before updating Soarin' and should Disney be using Wonders of Life More than a Festival area to the the general public.
It will be interesting to see. I was hoping to catch Soarin one more time before the closure as I haven't ridden since 2012 and we arrive January 5th for marathon weekend.

alissafalco

And there might actually be a line for the Gran Fiesta Tour

wdwfan4ver

And there might actually be a line for the Gran Fiesta Tour
True enough when World Showcase opens at 11 in the morning, but the crowds could be even bigger for the movies at the same time. I do realize International Gateway opens before than, along with French Bakery and the Table service Norway, but that is it is open at World Showcase before 11.00.

I only mention Frozen Ever After because it is very possible that Norway could open at 9 when the Frozen the ride and Meet and Greet opens in May as a way to spread the crowds out when Epcot first opens in the day.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom