BBQ comes to Tortuga Tavern at the Magic Kingdom

SteamboatStitch

The complaints based on theming, to me, is nit-picky. Compelling arguments can be made for both to fit their new locations as well as their old. There is nothing wrong with a south of the border offering in Frontierland, and BBQ isn't out of place in a pirate themed tavern that's based out of the Caribbean, which has plenty of ties to BBQ (to me this seems more fitting than the former anyway).

The only thing that can be complained about regarding Tortuga is perhaps the BBQ isn't exotic enough, but I think it's already enough of a departure from the norm when people are losing a "familiar" option with the vanishing of burgers on the west side of the park. This keeps it simple, pleases both the guests who are not too adventurous, while being enough to sate those seeking variety. This is a change for the better, and the complaining about theme when they both still fit is just splitting hairs.

Djali999

Barbecue was invented in the Caribbean. The American term derives from a "barbacoa", which is an elevated wooden platform dug over a pit in the beach. The cooking style developed because the Spanish would stop off at random islands and leave a few pigs. Generations later, the caribbean islands were so overrun with wild pigs that sailors could count on an easy meal by dropping anchor, rowing out to an island, killing some pigs, and cooking them in the local style right on the beach. These merchant sailors did this so much they came to be known as "barbacoans" which shortly was corrupted into "buccaneers". So for those of you dying for one, there it is. The reason why there's bbq sold across from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Is the BBQ going to be good, like at Flame Tree, or is it just going to be pre-made Lloyds BBQ, like they used to serve at Pecos Bills? I'll get excited about the former, and pass on the latter.

Jon81uk

Is the BBQ going to be good, like at Flame Tree, or is it just going to be pre-made Lloyds BBQ, like they used to serve at Pecos Bills? I'll get excited about the former, and pass on the latter.

Looking at the menu I would say closer to the second. Its all meat in sauce. Not smoked on the bone ribs like at Flame Tree.

AC21075

The complaints based on theming, to me, is nit-picky
Oh I was absolutely being nit-picky about theming, to go with my own re-imagineered version of WDW, but I certainly wasn't complaining. That being said, while I can see the justification for either food at either place, I do think that BBQ, particularly when it appears to be served on Texas toast type white bread, is a better Frontierland fit. And it still seemed weird to flip the two menus, rather than just change the one.

But I wasn't really aware of the size differential between the two places, which makes the most sense as an explanation. I assume the toppings bar setup is better suited to Tex Mex garnishes than BBQ garnishes as well (whatever those would be..). I don't know if I agree with Disney's assessment that the Tex Mex will sell better than the BBQ, especially in the absence of a nearby burger option. I know its not the same, but Flame Tree has always seemed to generate more fans than Tortuga/Piratico. But then again, Disney didn't ask me...:)

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Oh I was absolutely being nit-picky about theming, to go with my own re-imagineered version of WDW, but I certainly wasn't complaining. That being said, while I can see the justification for either food at either place, I do think that BBQ, particularly when it appears to be served on Texas toast type white bread, is a better Frontierland fit. And it still seemed weird to flip the two menus, rather than just change the one.

But I wasn't really aware of the size differential between the two places, which makes the most sense as an explanation. I assume the toppings bar setup is better suited to Tex Mex garnishes than BBQ garnishes as well (whatever those would be..). I don't know if I agree with Disney's assessment that the Tex Mex will sell better than the BBQ, especially in the absence of a nearby burger option. I know its not the same, but Flame Tree has always seemed to generate more fans than Tortuga/Piratico. But then again, Disney didn't ask me...:)
the menus are not exactly flipped. Personally the old Tortuga menu was much better than the current Pecos although I don't mind Pecos at all now. But I know what you're referring to.

Last edited:

doctornick

I wish they would be more flexible with sides. Not everyone would like coleslaw or beans with their bbq. Offer onion rings and fries or something as an option as well maybe or homemade chips

Agreed. It shares the kitchen with Pecos Bill's, though, right? So, I would think you could at least get a substitute of rice for a side. Or, I suppose, the carrot sticks or grapes from the kid's options.

rael ramone

People frequently rave about Bengal Barbecue in DL's Adventureland.

I am one of them.

Even better was the quick serve Mexican meal at DCA.

$DIS can make good quick serve Mexican food if they choose to.

(I guess I'm going to be talking about both new eatery changes).

Recently I watched 'Melody Time' (the package films are definitely underrated - pretty entertaining w/ lots of Mary Blair artwork). Melody Time contains 'Pecos Bill' (which the Frontierland Eatery is based on).

Pecos Bill was based in Texas (according to the film (and perhaps the original folk tale if one exists) he created the Rio Grande).

So in a way, Tex Mex fits Pecos Bill better than it does Tortuga Tavern. Though Beef Brisket on TEXAS toast seems on the surface to be an even better match for a Texas eatery then one that would thematically want a Port Royal / Caribbean type menu.

But the Magic Kingdom guest doesn't want Caribbean food. And Pecos Bill seems to have the more desired menu of the two so from an operational point of view its a better location (more tables, larger fixin' bar, plus a corner location). And since a true Caribbean food location isn't going into Tortuga, in effect anything can go there.

The park needs two things desperately foodwise - more variety and more (and sustained) quality. Some of the QS food there looks like it would make a mall food court look like a 3 star Michelen in comparison.

Pecos Bill final thoughts - should start out good. That Guac at the fixin bar is not long for this earth - avacados are too expensive. New offerings can start out good like the salmon at Columbia Harbour House did before that went downhill. But if it goes downhill later doesn't mean you can't get a good meal there before the drop.

Tortuga Tavern final thoughts - too much bread. Looks like something that they can get wrong quality wise even at the start. And it shouldn't be seasonal (because there's too much seasonal eateries for a $105 a day park - even in slow season as I can attest from my last trip). Though I wouldn't mind something more creative & tasty that has at least a toe in Latin America (Jerk Chicken, Chimichurri Beef Sandwiches, fried plantains, horchata & tamarindo).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom