DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

CapitanEo

Question for @marni1971 or @Lee if you can answer,
We know the general areas Phase 1(TSL) and Phase 2(SWL) will be using, with the SoA,LMA, Catastrophe Canyon areas mainly untouched. So is this untouched area to be used for Phase 3 and 4, or is it Phase 3 with the blue sky Phase 4 to be done elsewhere?

ULPO46

Question for @marni1971 or @Lee if you can answer,
We know the general areas Phase 1(TSL) and Phase 2(SWL) will be using, with the SoA,LMA, Catastrophe Canyon areas mainly untouched. So is this untouched area to be used for Phase 3 and 4, or is it Phase 3 with the blue sky Phase 4 to be done elsewhere?
It has to be done if not that's like a 1/4 of the park that won't be used. It's sad that they have to build in the parking lot before thy could ever use space that has been sitting empty for nearly 2 years now. But as for what will go there it' still on the drawing boards. Who knows maybe this new animated film is more popular than that space turns into a volcanic Hawaiian island.

UpAllNight

So with Staggs reportedly confirming ground breaking on Star Wars land in 2016, is it safe to assume Toy Story land opening won't be far behind? I don't feel they could shut much more without some sort of addition...the summer months would be chaos.

UpAllNight

The prevailing rumor is that TSL will start in a couple weeks when the new fiscal year starts.

I'm more talking about if Toy Story will open before construction starts on Star Wars; I imagine large amounts of the studios will close for Star Wars.

Does anyone know how long it took to build in Paris? Obviously there's more demolition work to do here etc.

I also wonder if Disney would put Toy Story Land up against Avatar in the same year at the risk of possibly diluting the effects of their investment...in reality I just think it makes both parks more appealing but I'm not convinced management would see it that way.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm more talking about if Toy Story will open before construction starts on Star Wars; I imagine large amounts of the studios will close for Star Wars.

Does anyone know how long it took to build in Paris? Obviously there's more demolition work to do here etc.

I also wonder if Disney would put Toy Story Land up against Avatar in the same year at the risk of possibly diluting the effects of their investment...in reality I just think it makes both parks more appealing but I'm not convinced management would see it that way.

I doubt they will get TSL done before SWL starts, even if SWL starts late next year.

UpAllNight

Last I heard...

Toy Story won't open before late 2017. SW is slated to open (possibly in phases) in 2019-2020. Phase 3 would come shortly after.

To me that just screams hell at the studios between Star Wars construction start- atleast late 2017.

Personally think it'll take more than a new show replacing Batb to make this park worth a visit during peak times.

Disneyhead'71

It's actually a combination of a lot of things. Disney hasn't been doing a whole lot of construction (to the parks) as of late and what they have done has been right in the middle of the parks. If you can tell me that it isn't faster and easier to work the wide open "square mile" that you referred to then I will stand corrected. No matter what is built it has a certain number of steps. If you have to put all those steps in an 8 hour or less time frame and have to re-set every single day and then clean it all up within that 8 hours you have increased the construction time exponentially.

I am not really attempting to play the "devils advocate" here. I am attempting to bring reality into a discussion that seems to run wild with expectations that are well beyond a reasonable reality. There are so just so many hours in any given day, and if you have to work around crowds of people it becomes that much harder. You can't add overtime, because there is no overtime time available. You can't really add people before they are simply stepping all over each other and absolutely nothing ever gets accomplished. You can't even justify it if it were possible. What the heck is the big rush. It's a theme park not a needed extra wing on the Emergency room. Everyone just needs to get a grip on reality and stop expecting the impossible.
First off, why does everyone keep saying that New Fantasyland was constructed in the middle of an operating theme park? Transformers is in the middle of USF and took 11 months to build. New Fantasyland is on the outer edge with an entire side abutting backstage and took 5 years.

Disneyhead'71

Since Universal is now essentially landlocked, they really can't 'grow' or expand.

Evolve, perhaps, by canabilizing what old attractions they currently have. They've already traded a far superior que and ride for a cartoon version of The Simpsons. Kongfrontation has been replaced by an indoor coaster, etc.
Except for Springfield is IMO far superior to BttF. BttF script was beyond idiotic. Simpson's is clever and witty. And Simpson's now includes Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger, Lard Lad's, Bumblebeeman's Taco Truck, Duff Gardensand Kang and Kodo's. All and all a far superior product to what BttF was.

Lee

Adventurer
Except for Springfield is IMO far superior to BttF. BttF script was beyond idiotic. Simpson's is clever and witty. And Simpson's now includes Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger, Lard Lad's, Bumblebeeman's Taco Truck, Duff Gardensand Kang and Kodo's. All and all a far superior product to what BttF was.
Nah....I liked BttF much more than the Simpsons.
(Possibly because I greatly prefer the IP...)

Disneyhead'71

Nah....I liked BttF much more than the Simpsons.
(Possibly because I greatly prefer the IP...)
I thought that BttF was entertaining. BttF II & III were unwatchable (Don't tell anyone, they'll take my Unitard Card).

I have been a Matt Groening fan since before the Simpson's existed. His Life In Hell cartoon series that started in 1977 was brilliant. His stuff is on an intellectual level that BttF can even come close too. I also know that that isn't real important to a lot of folks, but it appeals to me.

lifeinhell-704342.gif

Last edited:

djkidkaz

The prevailing rumor is that TSL will start in a couple weeks when the new fiscal year starts.

Shouldn't we be seeing permits already then for all the backstage infrastructure that has to be moved? I believe you mentioned before that Disneyland already filed permits to relocate their backstage areas.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Shouldn't we be seeing permits already then for all the backstage infrastructure that has to be moved? I believe you mentioned before that Disneyland already filed permits to relocate their backstage areas.

That would depend on what is involved with the move. If they are moving into existing spaces then there might not be permits until they start demolition. I am keeping an eye out for permits in backstage areas of WDW to see if I see any indication of new space being setup for relocation.

I don't follow the Disneyland permits so that wasn't me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom