DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Goofyernmost

When should we know about cars? Monsters inc? Fate of the LIGHTS MOTORS ACTION SHOW-their are strong rumors of it leaving, and Indy? Why is disney taking its sweet time to announce this? Before WDW anniversary like I said which will be in 2021...we should hear at least something about phase 3 I assume.
Anyone that has spent any time reading posts by the super obsessed Disney fan would already know the answer to that. For one thing, a lot of things can change, many with very legitimate reasons, but, that is not good enough for the fan. If they said it then it has to materialize... now. No excuses are accepted. Hell hath no fury like a fanbois scorned.

Even now you hear that a place like Uni has a quicker turn around time from announcement to completion. Well, it helps when you don't even hint to what you are doing until construction is already underway. It only seems like less time. But, no one will accept that. Fans that have no understanding at all about construction decide that it's one easy process from thought to reality and are unwilling to accept that it isn't done by waving a magic wand. You all want it to work right, but, you have no patience or understanding of the process that creates that. So... they have started to be much more guarded about what and how much information that they make public until things are pretty solid. It saves a lot of time answering the phone that amounts primarily to the question... why is it not there already, you've had a whole week to get it done.

Last edited:

doctornick

Is it safe to say? If Star Wars is taking some of the parking lot, the parking garages have to be built first. Then Star Wars.

It's not clear how much, if any, of the existing parking lot footprint that Star Wars would use. But regardless of that aspect, they need to increase parking at DHS before opening Star Wars -- if the attendance rises with Star Wars offerings (and it would) then the current parking capacity is not sufficient. Parking decks will expand total capacity.

elchippo

I've realized that once we start talking about phase 4 and things that are ten years away, it's best to just sort of forget about that for now. We all know the parks will never be completed, so anything past Star Wars is just as nebulous as new Fantasyland was 15 years ago.

ULPO46

Wow... Construction hasn't even commenced and people are already talking about a phase four that isn't out of the R&D department yet. Before any construction can ever commence, infrastructure needs to be upgraded and built everything from pipes for gas, water, electricity to the parking removal extension so that the park actually has a real life layout and not a huge mess. Not trying to be upset or saying you guys are overthinking, but guys do not worry yourselves. We like to throw ideas out on board for research and how guest may react, but we don't come thinking that this will be out 10 years from now.

Iwerks64

Even now you hear that a place like Uni has a quicker turn around time from announcement to completion. Well, it helps when you don't even hint to what you are doing until construction is already underway. It only seems like less time. But, no one will accept that. Fans that have no understanding at all about construction decide that it's one easy process from thought to reality and are unwilling to accept that it isn't done by waving a magic wand. You all want it to work right, but, you have no patience or understanding of the process that creates that. So... they have started to be much more guarded about what and how much information that they make public until things are pretty solid. It saves a lot of time answering the phone that amounts primarily to the question... why is it not there already, you've had a whole week to get it done.

I know you like to play devil's advocate and bring the D&G brigade back to reality, but this is a bit disingenuous. It's fairly easy to look at the actual construction timelines over the past 5-10 years for both Uni and WDW to see that Uni is building things faster. That's hard to dispute. They may not announce it (and really, what does a preannouncement gain either company), but the true construction is faster at Uni. I have been involved in numerous large scale construction projects (one taking up an entire square mile that was completed in twelve months). Disney could do all of this work faster if they wanted to. They obviously don't want to - to spread costs over multiple fiscal years, to hedge their bets, whatever. Uni wants to get it done and start reaping the benefits. I think TWDC doesn't see the big fiscal return on the investment that Uni does.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
just think... as phase 3 or 4 is complete DHS will be awesome... of course by then EPCOT will be in need of MAJOR work like DHS and many may even be pressuring Disney for a 5th park by then too (as Uni continues to grow)
;)

I just hope whatever they decide to do, they do it much quicker than we have seen in the past recent history of new attractions being built.

Goofyernmost

I know you like to play devil's advocate and bring the D&G brigade back to reality, but this is a bit disingenuous. It's fairly easy to look at the actual construction timelines over the past 5-10 years for both Uni and WDW to see that Uni is building things faster. That's hard to dispute. They may not announce it (and really, what does a preannouncement gain either company), but the true construction is faster at Uni. I have been involved in numerous large scale construction projects (one taking up an entire square mile that was completed in twelve months). Disney could do all of this work faster if they wanted to. They obviously don't want to - to spread costs over multiple fiscal years, to hedge their bets, whatever. Uni wants to get it done and start reaping the benefits. I think TWDC doesn't see the big fiscal return on the investment that Uni does.
It's actually a combination of a lot of things. Disney hasn't been doing a whole lot of construction (to the parks) as of late and what they have done has been right in the middle of the parks. If you can tell me that it isn't faster and easier to work the wide open "square mile" that you referred to then I will stand corrected. No matter what is built it has a certain number of steps. If you have to put all those steps in an 8 hour or less time frame and have to re-set every single day and then clean it all up within that 8 hours you have increased the construction time exponentially.

I am not really attempting to play the "devils advocate" here. I am attempting to bring reality into a discussion that seems to run wild with expectations that are well beyond a reasonable reality. There are so just so many hours in any given day, and if you have to work around crowds of people it becomes that much harder. You can't add overtime, because there is no overtime time available. You can't really add people before they are simply stepping all over each other and absolutely nothing ever gets accomplished. You can't even justify it if it were possible. What the heck is the big rush. It's a theme park not a needed extra wing on the Emergency room. Everyone just needs to get a grip on reality and stop expecting the impossible.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's actually a combination of a lot of things. Disney hasn't been doing a whole lot of construction (to the parks) as of late and what they have done has been right in the middle of the parks. If you can tell me that it isn't faster and easier to work the wide open "square mile" that you referred to then I will stand corrected. No matter what is built it has a certain number of steps. If you have to put all those steps in an 8 hour or less time frame and have to re-set every single day and then clean it all up within that 8 hours you have increased the construction time exponentially.

I am not really attempting to play the "devils advocate" here. I am attempting to bring reality into a discussion that seems to run wild with expectations that are well beyond a reasonable reality. There are so just so many hours in any given day, and if you have to work around crowds of people it becomes that much harder. You can't add overtime, because there is no overtime time available. You can't really add people before they are simply stepping all over each other and absolutely nothing ever gets accomplished. You can't even justify it if it were possible. What the heck is the big rush. It's a theme park not a needed extra wing on the Emergency room. Everyone just needs to get a grip on reality and stop expecting the impossible.

Universal took down an existing building and built Transformers in under one year on a plot of land that we completely land locked from backstage. Yes, my understanding is that there were special circumstances that motivated them to do it this fast, but it just shows what is possible.

raymusiccity

just think... as phase 3 or 4 is complete DHS will be awesome... of course by then EPCOT will be in need of MAJOR work like DHS and many may even be pressuring Disney for a 5th park by then too (as Uni continues to grow)
;)

I just hope whatever they decide to do, they do it much quicker than we have seen in the past recent history of new attractions being built.

Since Universal is now essentially landlocked, they really can't 'grow' or expand.

Evolve, perhaps, by canabilizing what old attractions they currently have. They've already traded a far superior que and ride for a cartoon version of The Simpsons. Kongfrontation has been replaced by an indoor coaster, etc.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Universal took down an existing building and built Transformers in under one year on a plot of land that we completely land locked from backstage. Yes, my understanding is that there were special circumstances that motivated them to do it this fast, but it just shows what is possible.

Isn't the exterior of that building just a big box/warehouse?

doctornick

Transformers is the "exception that proves the rule" type of situation though. Everyone likes to cite that as Universal moving quickly with their builds, but everything else they have been building hasn't been that different from the pace that Disney builds. Kong has been under construction for at least a year and a half and isn't opening until next summer.

IIRC, Diagon Alley was built in only a few months less than the FLE. The big difference is that the FLE was built somewhat in stages, so it seems to have taken longer (the 7DMT didn't start construction until many months after other parts of the expansion began) and the FLE was officially announced in advance unlike DA. It seems to me that Uni tends to take about 2.5 years to build projects when Disney is more like 3 years. Quicker certainly for Uni, but not the massive difference that people here tend to promote.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Since Universal is now essentially landlocked, they really can't 'grow' or expand.

Evolve, perhaps, by canabilizing what old attractions they currently have. They've already traded a far superior que and ride for a cartoon version of The Simpsons. Kongfrontation has been replaced by an indoor coaster, etc.

That's what people said before Harry Potter too - they have expansion pads and can build lands and E-ticket attractions measured in months not years like Disney (unfortunately) - I hope this changes and they've learned from what they've seen down the road AND with the massive success that Star Wars (movies and land) will bring... the sooner the better

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom