What Would You Ban?

PrincessJenn5795

I would ban unsupervised teenagers, people stopping in the middle of walkways to figure out where they are going, and people who don't wear deodorant/take showers :D

Stevie Amsterdam

Unoriginality due to lack of funding and / or will power.

To ensure that the six resorts worldwide are as uniquely designed as possible, inspiring guests from all over the world to come and see what each individual park has to offer.

WillCAD

I vote for banning anything I dislike. I mean, come on, I'd obviously have a MUCH better time at WDW if there was nothing around that I disliked.

I also vote for banning the banning of anything I like. If things I like were not banned, I'd be able to enjoy myself far more than I do now, what with all of those bans.

And if you disagree with my opinion on banning, then I dislike you, which means you're banned, too.

You can call me names all you want but I am the one who has buried one of my best friends and her 5 year old and 3year old sons after they were killed by a driver who had only had two drinks. All it takes is one drink to affect your judgment and motor skills. And by they way I do drink but never in front of my child or any other child and never drive.

I, too, have lost friends and family to drunk drivers, as well as watched helplessly while people I love have spiraled into hopeless alcoholism and abusive relationships. I grew up in a family of social drinkers, most of whom weren't alcoholics and only drank during holiday parties, cookouts, and the like, and seeing my aunts and uncles drunk was enough to turn me off of alcohol pretty definitively. I also don't care for the taste of most alcoholic beverages.

Yet I cannot agree with the extremist position you've taken. Like everything else in life, drinking alcohol is not a binary proposition - there are more than two grades of "drinking", there are many subtle levels.

Having a glass of wine with a steak dinner is not excessive and poses no danger. Excessive consumption can certainly be dangerous - in that or any other situation - but a single glass because it pairs well with steak, in my opinion, shouldn't even be classified as "drinking", per se. Suck down a whole bottle all by yourself, and maybe you've got a problem.

I drink maybe 3 or 4 alcoholic beverages per YEAR. On ocasions when I am not driving, I will sometimes order a lightweight mixed drink at a restaurant while waiting for my table (I'm a fan of the Sunset Passion Collada and Bahama Mama at Red Lobster). I used to get a Kungaloosh whenever I went to the late, lamented Adventurer's Club (and generally nursed it for over an hour, because it was pretty strong). But I have never gotten behind the wheel after drinking, and in all of my 46 years on the planet, I've only been drunk a grand overall total of one time (there was a whole pitcher of sangria there, I didn't want it to go to waste!)

Multiple times you have stated that you didn't want people to drink "in front of children", and that you never drink in front of yours. Do your children know that alcohol exists? Are you trying to actually keep that knowledge from them? Because if you are, you're setting yourself up for a fall and doing them a tremendous disservice.

Alcohoic beverages exist. That's a fact. And while I am completely on your side when it comes to drunken people, I would never suggest a total ban on alcohol at WDW, not even in the parks. Open sales of beer at CS venues? Sure, ban away. Bars in the middle of Fantasyland like those at the resort swimming pools? No problem, keep them out. But banning even wine and light mixed drinks from the entire property simply to prevent your children from seeing them? No way.

Instead of trying to hide the existence of alcohol from your kids, my personal opinion is that you would serve them better by allowing them to see that alcohol exists, and allowing them to see that it has negative effects on people, and then teaching them the responsible behavior they will need in life to avoid those negative effects.

Yet more evidence that Photoshop is perhaps the best invention in the history of comedy. Or history. Or historical comedy.

Figaro928

I wouldn't ban alcohol. A few responsible adult beverages should be enjoyed while on vacation. However, I'd ban the Epcot drinking groups - the Biff Turns 21 group, The sorority Bachlorette party types. They would be easy to ban - just look for the matching t shirts and shotglass necklaces.
We went during a non-F&W time and saw plenty of these groups.

That being said... what I'd really like to ban is people punchlining the JC skipper BEFORE the skipper can deliver the punchline. If you say "backside of water" before the skipper does ...lifetime ban

jaklgreen

See, this is why I dump my grand marnier slush into a paper cup(actually you can fit 2 in a cup :p ). That way I can have my drink and no one knows. Everyone happy. :D

Nick Wilde

I would ban threads that turn into a "I would ban anything that I don't enjoy or disapprove of" rant. ;)
That's literally what the thread is asking. If YOU could ban anything, what would YOU ban, so people would say they would what they would ban what they don't approve of, or think shouldn't be in the parks, correct? Or is this thread "what would you ban that won't offend anyone or anybody who doesn't agree?"

Chef Mickey

To be honest, I'd ban alcohol in the parks too.

Before anyone gets all offended, it's my opinion only and it's not because I'm some ultra conservative. I actually think most drugs should be legal along with other acts between willing individuals.

I also understand that banning it will never happen because there is simply too much money to be made selling alochol. That is the reason it is sold today.

Frankly, it doesn't make anyone bad if they want to drink, have wine with dinner, or just get hammered in the privacy of their own home. Go nuts.

The key to doing whatever you want is not impacting or harming anyone else. The minute you ruin an experience for someone else, you're in the wrong. Too many times, the person drinking can't avoid impacting someone else and that's the problem.

Personally, I believe many venues would all be better off without alcohol, including sporting events. Drink at a bar, at home, or at a stand alone restaurant when you're not with 100,000 people in a theme park.

As i was saying, the trouble with drinking is that the idiots ruin it for everyone. Most people can handle it, but the few that can't ruin it for everyone. Since Disney is almost by definition a place for families and particularly kids, alcohol can ruin an experience for a family that really has no way of avoiding it.

Some people already act stupid and unreasonable just because it's hot, they are in entitlement mode, or think they deserve the world because they paid for admission. Add alcohol to the mix and it just gets unbearbale.

Removing alcohol from the mix would remove one of the many factors for beligerent and ridiculous behavior.

I can confirm that one drink can absolutely have an impact on some people who don't drink much and don't weigh a lot. That's really not the point though. Again, MOST can handle alcohol and I'm sure all of you do a great job in doing so. However, as I said, it's the people who can't that really ruin it for everyone.

As I always say, there is a time and place for everything and I do mean everything. However, alochol at Disney doesn't make a lot of sense if we remove the profit component.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
That's literally what the thread is asking. If YOU could ban anything, what would YOU ban, so people would say they would what they would ban what they don't approve of, or think shouldn't be in the parks, correct? Or is this thread "what would you ban that won't offend anyone or anybody who doesn't agree?"

Which is why I would ban it in the first place. It is posted knowing it will start an argument.

Nick Wilde

Which is why I would ban it in the first place. It is posted knowing it will start an argument.
Oh, Ok. I thought you were talking about the posters, not the OP. I would too. It was bound to start something, and I happened to start it. My apologies for that, I didn't expect such a huge backlash.

daisyduckie

I would ban people who don't know or respect their limits--be it alcohol, or food, or just pushing their tired bodies until they are mean and nasty. I don't think anything legal needs to be banned because idiots don't know their limits.

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster

No, actually it is not. The intent was simply to ask what other things people would want banned, since Disney has a ban now on the selfie sticks. Any thread can be described as "posted knowing it will start an argument" just because some who choose to respond do so with that deliberate intent.

The Mom

Premium Member
I have a somewhat different perspective, and forget that others do not. I've watched some of these thread deteriorate into nasty arguments multiple times over the past 16 years. So even though the OP may not have had any intention of kicking a hornet's nest, it may eventually bring them out. ;)

And yes, any thread can deteriorate into a free for all around here. There are just some topics that have a history of getting there quickly. Some get there so quickly that they aren't allowed. Other are allowed, but I know that I might have to step in sooner or later. Hence my comment. I'm not saying I will ban these topics (except for the ones that will definitely cause an argument within the first few posts because of past history) but wish I could.

PhotoDave219

I have a somewhat different perspective, and forget that others do not. I've watched some of these thread deteriorate into nasty arguments multiple times over the past 16 years. So even though the OP may not have had any intention of kicking a hornet's nest, it may eventually bring them out. ;)

And yes, any thread can deteriorate into a free for all around here. There are just some topics that have a history of getting there quickly. Some get there so quickly that they aren't allowed. Other are allowed, but I know that I might have to step in sooner or later. Hence my comment. I'm not saying I will ban these topics (except for the ones that will definitely cause an argument within the first few posts because of past history) but wish I could.

Youre not suggesting that people come out and kick the hornets nest intentionally, are you?

Because I am :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom