Understanding Walt!!!!

Californian Elitist

Firstly, Walt only created one park. Secondly, what "true vision" are you referring to? For both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, I mean. His true vision for E.P.C.O.T. never happened, so what exactly are you referring to?

Not all changes are good, like Frozen in EPCOT, for example.

Cmdr_Crimson

He was bold enough to say this to his wife Lillian...
tumblr_np08aif2Mp1rqrtieo1_500.jpg

Californian Elitist

Walt was very involved with the creation of Walt Disney World....Epcot was to be an extension of this!!! Unfortunately....he died!!!

Why are you yelling?

The EPCOT Walt envisioned never happened. Magic Kingdom was only built to fund his city, and like you said, he died before he could make any contributions to MK, whose construction hadn't started until after Walt Disney's death. Magic Kingdom in Walt's presentation of E.P.C.O.T., aka, the Florida Project, is a copy-and-paste image of Disneyland.

Californian Elitist

I agree that change may not always be good or the right thing but it is necessary to keep things fresh and interesting!!! Perhaps these changes should be more carefully considered and more effort and money should be put toward these changes, but if you take the change and progress away, you take the Walt out of Disney!!!

No one is saying change is bad. In saying that, some of the changes Disney considers and make are flat out dumb and make no sense. It's okay to express disappointment in these changes.

Californian Elitist

Not yelling, exclamation point my favorite punctuation and sometimes I overuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is plenty of film footage showing that Walt was very involved with the creation of WDW up until the time of his death.....his brother Roy O. took the reigns after his death and opened the park Walt envisioned....he then died months after the Magic Kingdom opened and could not continue with Epcot as it was originally planned cause he was......dead.

Oh, boy. Sounds like you need to do lots of research. Magic Kingdom's construction began AFTER Walt Disney died.

TP2000

Walt Disney only built and operated one theme park in his lifetime: Disneyland.

Walt died five (5) years before Magic Kingdom Park at WDW opened. Walt had no hand in designing the theme park that opened there in 1971. Before his death in 1966, Walt was really only concerned with building the planned city of EPCOT, which never got built and which bears no resemblance to the theme park that uses its name today.

When Walt died in late 1966, this was the map of Magic Kingdom Park on the wall of the Florida Project Room at Imagineering in Glendale, California. It was just a cut and paste copy of Disneyland circa 1966, with an Ice Rink and Roller Dome in front of the park where the Disneyland parking lot was.
gY6zrR5.png

That's all Walt had planned by late '66, because he was focused more on building EPCOT the city and industrial showcase. It always interests me how many WDW fans don't understand the timeline of Walt Disney's life, and how he had absolutely nothing to do with the way Walt Disney World was designed in the late 1960's and how it looked upon opening in 1971, aside from the concepts that were directly cloned from Disneyland like Main Street USA, the Frontierland riverboats, Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, etc.

A reminder for those unaware:

Walt Disney
Born December, 1901
Death December, 1966

Walt Disney World opened October, 1971

A more appropriate title for a thread like this on a WDW forum would be....
Understanding Card Walker!!!! or Understanding Richard Nunis!!!!! or Understanding Ron Miller!!!!

Californian Elitist

When I read of people saying they will be getting rid of their annual passes and DVC points because Disney took away a band from one of the parks I think this goes beyond registering disappointment, and takes things a bit too far. This reaction of giving up everything Disney says to me that these folks think nothing should ever change and if it does, they are gone. I certainly didn't turn my park tickets and stock in when I drove the monorail past Horizons as it was being torn to pieces. I slowed the train had a tear and was very sad and disappointed but understood it was the progress of things!!!

Why do you care if people cancel their DVC memberships and stop renewing their annual passes?

TP2000

After Walt's death in 1966 the plans for the Disneyland-style theme park at WDW continued to evolve in 1967.

Here's what the theme park plan looked like to Imagineers at WED during 1967, two years before actual construction would begin on the park. Walt was dead and gone and so they began thinking about revamping the layout of the park radically.

Tomorrowland was on the left and the WDW Monorail would enter the park as it did in Anaheim, as seen via the pink monorail line here. The Jungle Cruise and Rivers of America took on bizarre locations an configurations. And a new land was found in the southwest corner of the park, and who knows what they were thinking there as Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland had just opened to rave reviews in March, 1967. Was that new land in the southwest corner with a massive show building an expanded New Orleans Square for Pirates?

WDW Master Plan 1967 - Theme Park Sector
https://c328f6d8-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...Xf5X2K2hiJJbyzsQRNDQrT-R6O2jg=&attredirects=0

Interesting how they had parking for 10,000 cars on the north side of the park in '67.

TP2000

Point taken.

That's not to say there weren't some truly great people involved in the creation of WDW circa 1967-1972. They had been hired and trained by Walt and they built a very nice version of Disneyland in Florida that lacked a lot of rides (and still does) but used some new techniques, new attractions, and an understanding that it would need to play host to 15 Million people a year.

Here's a link that offers great look at that WDW Master Plan circa 1967, after Walt's death as his team at Imagineering and in Disneyland management tried to push forward and figure out how to build a WDW Resort without an EPCOT and without Walt. https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/master-plan?mobile=true

Cmdr_Crimson

A more appropriate title for a thread like this on a WDW forum would be....
Understanding Card Walker!!!! or Understanding Richard Nunis!!!!! or Understanding Ron Miller!!!!

Thanks to these guys we wouldn't have Epcot Center the way it is...It would have been a DVC City now for all we know..
9317541111_dd8b50fa50_o.png

from Passport to dreams

JIMINYCR

I would love to understand where Walt got his amazing and visionary imagination??

It all comes from the path he had to take and the experiences he had from the time he was a young child, and the ups and downs he faced. Reading about Walts life youll find that he came from very humble, meager beginnings. He had a tumultuous relationship with his father and he had to work long hard hours in difficult circumstances at an early age to help support the family. Much of those early years formed his beliefs in hard work, relying on ones self, being creative and pushing through hardships. He was hard on others because his father was hard on him, thus his reputation of not being satisfied and driving others on to better things. His imagination and dreams kept him going and gave him the drive to continue on. Many great men and women who had great imaginations and were visionaries credit those qualities from the difficulties they faced and overcame in their youth, experiences that shaped them, even though they were years they did not enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom