Child of DVC member...

Kellie-G

Original Poster
Hello!

I am going on my first trip to Disney without my parents going. They are the owners of the DVC and I have been planning a lot recently and seen DVC offers a discount. Since I am not the owner can I use their discount?

Seanual757

It's hit or miss as long as you have the same last name take one the their membership cards with your on your trip. I have only been asked once for my ID with my membership card. You can explain to them that you are using your parents card and with your ID you should be fine.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So integrity check here. If you are not listed on the contract, and do not have a separate membership card, legally, you are not eligible for the DVC discounts. Yes, you can probably get away with it, so you have to look in the mirror and ask if it's the right thing to do.

Seanual757

Per our sales person @ DVC our children can use the cards since cards cannot be issued to children only those on the deed, but they are entitled take advantage of the discounts. We are also AP holders so the discount is the same and out children are AP Holders as well so they are entitled to that discount.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Per our sales person @ DVC our children can use the cards since cards cannot be issued to children only those on the deed, but they are entitled take advantage of the discounts. We are also AP holders so the discount is the same and out children are AP Holders as well so they are entitled to that discount.
Sorry, but your salesperson is wrong. Only those people that have SIGNED the contract are eligible for the discounts. Children under 18 cannot sign, and are therefore not eligible to receive the discount on their own. Older children that have not signed the contract are not eligible for the discount either. I just got off the phone with Member Services, and they confirmed this policy. If a parent is with the child, then they can display the membership card with photo id to receive the discount at that time, but giving the card to a child to use on their own is against the rules.

Sorry if you don't like the policy, but it is what it is. Of course, people can get away with all sorts of stuff from Disney, but that doesn't make it right.

Since your children are AP holders, the discount is the same, so why break the rules to get the same discount they are already eligible for anyway? I just don't understand people that think they are entitled to get away with whatever they think they can. Makes no sense to us.

Seanual757

I am not breaking any rules as I have no problem I can only go by what our DVC sales person told us. But like you said we are AP holders (same discount for both) my kids cannot buy anything anyway they are 7, 6, and 1 so we pay but since 2 of my 3 are pass holders later on down the road they will use the APH cards. I was only replying to what the OP asked and I am only going buy what we were told from DVC back in March. If he is wrong then he was wrong and yes rules are rules I am not trying to overstep them or say I am entitled to something I can only go by what we were told from Disney.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I am not breaking any rules as I have no problem I can only go by what our DVC sales person told us. But like you said we are AP holders (same discount for both) my kids cannot buy anything anyway they are 7, 6, and 1 so we pay but since 2 of my 3 are pass holders later on down the road they will use the APH cards. I was only replying to what the OP asked and I am only going buy what we were told from DVC back in March. If he is wrong then he was wrong and yes rules are rules I am not trying to overstep them or say I am entitled to something I can only go by what we were told from Disney.
I understand that you were misled by your salesperson. They don't always get everything right, unfortunately.

I was trying to let the OP know that what she is asking about is against the rules, so that she can make an informed decision. Everyone must make up their own mind about whether to follow the rules or not.

Kellie-G

Original Poster
Never said I was going to use it, just wondering. It is my first trip to Disney without them and I was reading different things about the discount and that some restaurants have a 10% discount. Just graduated college so I am not going with a lot of extra money so wondered if it was at all possible to use that so I was a little less strapped on cash for eating. No need to be rough and say i need an integrity check and that I feel like i am entitled to get away with anything. It was a simple question because I was under 18 when they bought so of course I wasnt clued in and read rules for it and my mom wasn't sure at all because usually we have gone as a family and never really paid attention to the DVC discount stuff... more in it for being able to stay diff places than the perks it gives for them and for my bro and I. Like Seanual said... I am not trying to overstep rules or show entitlement or something.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Never said I was going to use it, just wondering. It is my first trip to Disney without them and I was reading different things about the discount and that some restaurants have a 10% discount. Just graduated college so I am not going with a lot of extra money so wondered if it was at all possible to use that so I was a little less strapped on cash for eating. No need to be rough and say i need an integrity check and that I feel like i am entitled to get away with anything. It was a simple question because I was under 18 when they bought so of course I wasnt clued in and read rules for it and my mom wasn't sure at all because usually we have gone as a family and never really paid attention to the DVC discount stuff... more in it for being able to stay diff places than the perks it gives for them and for my bro and I. Like Seanual said... I am not trying to overstep rules or show entitlement or something.
Sorry, wasn't meaning to be harsh, but it gets tiring seeing so many questions about how to "game" Disney to get something you're not entitled to. How do I get a free upgrade? How do I get this? How do I get that? I didn't mean to imply that you would, and I apologize if I came off that way. Not my intention at all.

Kellie-G

Original Poster
No prob! I can understand that though, I have been reading a few diff boards and have seen a lot of post of what you mention! Its kind of amazing how it almost seems like everyone wants to make it as free as possible. I just thought hey if I can cool, if not thats fine too just got curious of it all.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
A flat out ridiculous policy. IMO. I can understand not giving the discount to any joe blow staying on points. But immediate family should be included in the discounts. It's something, now that I have a son, that really ticks me off. Let's say my son is 15, we are in WDW, and we split up for lunch, it's lunacy that he can't get the DVC discount.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
A flat out ridiculous policy. IMO. I can understand not giving the discount to any joe blow staying on points. But immediate family should be included in the discounts. It's something, now that I have a son, that really ticks me off. Let's say my son is 15, we are in WDW, and we split up for lunch, it's lunacy that he can't get the DVC discount.
Unfortunately, where do you draw the line. What happens when your son turns 18, and gets married? Does his wife become "immediate" family? What about their children? What happens if she has brothers and sisters? Won't they complain that she gets the discount, but they don't? We have 2 boys in there early 20's that are both married, and we never even considered that they would get the 10% shopping discount (and that is all we are talking about here!). One of them can get the AP discount since he still lives in the same household, but no shopping discount. They had to draw the line somewhere, and it was easiest to just say that you have to be an actual member.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Unfortunately, where do you draw the line. What happens when your son turns 18, and gets married? Does his wife become "immediate" family? What about their children? What happens if she has brothers and sisters? Won't they complain that she gets the discount, but they don't? We have 2 boys in there early 20's that are both married, and we never even considered that they would get the 10% shopping discount (and that is all we are talking about here!). One of them can get the AP discount since he still lives in the same household, but no shopping discount. They had to draw the line somewhere, and it was easiest to just say that you have to be an actual member.

I think you draw it at immediate family of owners. Your son gets it. His kids/wife don't. That's all. It doesn't seem terribly complicated to me. Honestly, if it was up to me, anyone staying on points would get the discount.

Kellie-G

Original Poster
Definitely get where you are both coming from! Has to be a line somewhere I get that. It would be tough when kids grow and get married to say well do you count their spouse or no. I do agree though, Immediate family yes...owner and their children/adult children yes but rest of family..spouse and kids.. no... but then again... would they need it? Like if i got married and had kids.. id be with my family at least for a while traveling with them... to where I could use the discount and buy us all dinner or what not... they wouldnt necessarily need it. Understandable that the kids would grow up too.. but then again... who is to say they would have the disney love by that time like my parents and I do... lol... but I def see where it would hard to draw a line

yedliW

I'm in a different boat here.. my wife had bought into DVC before we got married.. I can't get any of the discounts/perks on my own without getting a lawyer involved and re-doing the contract.. normally not a huge deal.. but some of the fine print of DVC ownership is frustrating..

Disneykidder

I do not agree with anyone staying on points should get the discount. There are plenty of people who rent points and also purchase them from friends who are members. I don't think those people are entitled to the same discount that I receive as a member. It should be the members and next of kin only. I'm not trying to be rude here but as stated above, there are too many people who try to milk the system and get something for nothing.
The OP should get the discount because she is the child of the member...that's where it should be drawn. If she has friends in the room with her, those friends should not get the discount just because they are staying there in the room used on points.

slappy magoo

Never said I was going to use it, just wondering. It is my first trip to Disney without them and I was reading different things about the discount and that some restaurants have a 10% discount. Just graduated college so I am not going with a lot of extra money so wondered if it was at all possible to use that so I was a little less strapped on cash for eating.

OK, now here's where I potentially sound mean, though I'm not trying to.

Yes, there are some restaurants or snack venues that offer 10-20% discounts, sometimes depending on the meal (Nine Dragons restaurant at Epcot, for example, offers a 20% discount during lunch, but only 10% at dinner). There are very few snack venues or quick service venues that offer a discount (they all seem to be at Downtown Disney).

So if money's really tight, you're probably better off doing quick service meals as often as possible. I don't know if you'll have access to your own car, but if you do, then I'd say you could also go offsite to eat when possible and save even more money.

Believe me, I'm all about the Disney magic, and even with a car on site for every trip, we haven't left property beyond getting some snacks for the room when we arrived at a grocery store for the past 4 trips. I know it's anathema to say "get out of the Disney bubble." But saving 10% at a Disney restaurant is still a relatively pricey meal; you'll save money by doing quick service, or, if you can, getting a meal off site. Heck, have a pizza delivered to the room (not Disney pizza though, a local place that's reputable). You'll save more, and if you stop at a convenience store before hitting WDW, you can probably find a pennysaver or other free local paper with tons of coupons for those places. In fact, for an option, enter you email at restaurant.com it's a website that offers discounts on various restaurants across the country (but no WDW restaurants, maybe some at the Swan/Dolphin, House of Blues, the restaurants in the hotels right outside Downtown Disney. They're not free, it might be like $10 to get a $25 discount. BUT, many times in the month, they'll offer discounts on their discounts, where for 2 or 3 bucks you get a $25 discount you can print out and bring with you.

Also, if you're staying in a DVC room take advantage of the kitchen or kitchenette, at least stock up on breakfast foods and snacks and fruits. You could, if you want, either buy dry goods at home and ship them to your hotel before you get there, OR use a site like gardengrocer.com to place an order online and it'll be delivered to the hotel your day of arrival. ALL of this will go a longer way to saving you money than the smallish discounts at already-expensive onsite restaurants.

I hope it comes across that I'm trying to be helpful and not judgmental over how you spend or save money. If these are things you've already thought of and/or planned, my apologies in advance.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Do you expect your son to have the same privileges that you as the homeowner does? Should he be entitled to the tax credit for interest paid on the mortgage or property taxes? Should he be entitled to homestead exemption? Because that is essence is how you have to look at it. 15 year olds are not allowed to enter into contracts, especially real estate transactions. Why? Because before reaching majority, they can void the contract. Now if your son wanted to go to court and ask for emancipation....

He's not the DVC member, you are. If you are so worried about this, add him to the deed when he reaches majority. Realizing, that this is a real estate transaction and will involve fees.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

As you were under 18 when they bought, you legally couldn't have been included on the contract Your parents can add you as an associate on their account, which means you can book reservations. But you don't get the member discounts.

If you are trying to save some money, go to Amazon Pantry and ship non-perishable food items to you resort. The nice thing about Amazon Pantry as opposed to just Amazon is that everything is shipped in one large box and as you add items to your box, the site tells you how full it is

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Do you expect your son to have the same privileges that you as the homeowner does? Should he be entitled to the tax credit for interest paid on the mortgage or property taxes? Should he be entitled to homestead exemption? Because that is essence is how you have to look at it. 15 year olds are not allowed to enter into contracts, especially real estate transactions. Why? Because before reaching majority, they can void the contract. Now if your son wanted to go to court and ask for emancipation....

He's not the DVC member, you are. If you are so worried about this, add him to the deed when he reaches majority. Realizing, that this is a real estate transaction and will involve fees.

Oof.

I'm talking about immediate family receiving DVC member cards. That's all. Why does that bother you? The tiny discounts offered by Disney aren't taking money out of your pocket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom