Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

jensenrick

Definitely underwhelming plans in store for DHS. Two "meh"-sounding attractions for each new land.......not much to be encouraged or excited over. If the rumored Monster Inc coaster had been included, that would have been something.

I don't understand. You see one exposed track coaster and it's "meh." But if there had been TWO exposed track coasters- then Hooray!? Because seriously, what else would a "door" coaster look like? Probably very much like this one, unless they make it a thrill ride and then the park is off balance again.
And here's what the "door" coaster will Not have- 11 acres of immersive theme and detailing around it. At least I would hope not, as I would hate to waste 11 acres (or any) on Monstropolis.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SOA remains up in the air right now. I love love love the Osbourne lights but with the new lands coming, they just don't need them. I'd imagine they're on borrowed time in the current location, which is why I want to make an effort to see them this year. I haven't since probably 2009.
I was told to expect to loose some of SOA. Possibly when LMA goes so that would mean the South east end. Which really was lost when LMA was originally built.

Or SW bulldozers through muppets and SOA and we loose it all.

Kman101

I love how everyone loved the idea of pixar place, and now that it's not happening, people are reaponding with "how could it be anything but TSL?" and "how could pixar land even work thematically as a hodgepodge of rides from different IPs". Hello. It's worked since DL/WDW opened till about 10 years ago, when they started this dedicated land to 1 IP business. Yes indeed, how could the standard since park opening possibly work thematically? Lol

We could still get other Pixar properties. I don't disagree with you at all but they're clearly going for a more immersive experience and I'm not upset by that. We could still get Monsters/Cars and be just as immersed. I'd say three lands (just my spec, not official, of course) dedicated to popular Pixar properties is a huge step up from just a street of poorly placed facades like you see in DCA with Mike and Sulley's ride or even what they would have given us before with the original Monsters Inc coaster entrance. I'll also gladly take a new entrance to Mania that fits into a huge land which matches the queue. TSL DOES make sense in that regard. Everything they appear to be doing or rumored to be doing just fits well. They've taken Star Tours and are giving us an incredibly themed land extending from it and doing the same with Toy Story. I think those kinds of lands are a big step up from throwing rides into a land. I love me some Adventureland, Frontierland, etc. but I don't dislike the idea of the other lands, either. They are really no different, except it has an IP name and not a land that most of the parks clearly can't keep up with (hi, Tomorrowland).

Kman101

I was told to expect to loose some of SOA. Possibly when LMA goes so that would mean the South east end. Which really was lost when LMA was originally built.

Thanks for the info. And true, the streets, like the tour, became a shell of what it was. It's time to demo them and open that space up. Although I still have an attachement to them and kind of want them to stay. LOL

jensenrick

^^ This exactly^
I would say that Pixar Place would create a hodge podge look and theme that Disney did not want to present.
I would love an Incredibles ride, a Wall-e ride, etc., but I think Disney went for cohesion and stuck with its most recognizable IP, the one with the longest legs, and the one that grabs a new generation after new generation.
And, yes of course Toy Story fits right in with Midway Mania.

Exactly! What people are not looking at yet is- how it will be like to actually BE there. I have doubts about Disney sometimes too, but when they want to put a immersive, massively themed land together- they are very good!

Even though there was little to do, the first time I went to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playland, I had a lot of fun- because there was SO much to look at! The giant blades of grass, the dog's nose, etc.

Toy Story Land is gonna have all that in spades, I feel confident- just like the queue for TSMM, but huge and outdoors and filled with fun details and photo ops. Huge props of favorite games from yesterday and today- I get more excited the more I think about it.

That's also why it can NOT have a Pizza Planet. Sorry fans of cardboard pizza, but it does NOT fit the theme. Adding that in might be the one thing that does turn this into a disappointment for me.

ToTBellHop

Seriously?

It would have looked absolutely stunning. You do know it was inside, right?
It is regrettable that it didn't get built. Imagine if they announced yesterday a Pixar expansion with the two new rides plus Door Coaster instead of the extra TSMM track. A missed opportunity, unfortunately.

Or imagine if they announced the Door Coaster four years back and it was already open, but that's neither here nor there.

To the previous poster, the Door Coaster would've been indoors.

jensenrick

View attachment 106110

I am also a little iffy on this one, Since it's near the other food it might be another restaurant, it also could include restrooms. I am not sure what is going on with the roof. My only thought is that since it's near a high point on the Slinky Dog coaster they may be themeing the roof since it will be seen from the coaster.
View attachment 106107

Yes, love that thought about the roof of that structure. One thing for sure, it is another example (if anyone needs one) of how well themed this area is going to be.

jensenrick

To be fair, Disney tends to take things pretty literally with theme too. It's what makes them Disney.

I think the barn structure is just part of the Woody's Roundup / Western theming that it's next to. As you said, there's a handle on the roof so it's clearly meant to be part of a play set. Probably a store, yes, but I strongly doubt it's Al's. At least, I hope it's not. As I said, it wouldn't make much sense thematically.

I'm still not seeing anything in the land that resembles Pizza Planet?

And that's a good thing.

Kman101

It is regrettable that it didn't get built. Imagine if they announced yesterday a Pixar expansion with the two new rides plus Door Coaster instead of the extra TSMM track. A missed opportunity, unfortunately.

Or imagine if they announced the Door Coaster four years back and it was already open, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm happy with what they announced but I do think they missed out by not doing any of the above.

dhall

If you're happy for 5 minutes of ride time for 11 acres then management will be laughing.

Have standards and expectations really fallen so far?

I'm sort of 'meh' on the pair of expansions. I love the concept art of both expansions, but in the end, it's 25 acres for 4 rides, and it's between 3 & 5 years away (minimum). And... that's really before the accountaneers get their pencil sharpeners revved up.

I almost half expect a 1A announcement for Toy Story in about 12 months where SlinkyDog's been scaled back down to an off-the-shelf Barnstormer type, and as the 'replacement', we'll get the ride hardware that Shanghai rejected, with landscaping that clones TSL.

ToTBellHop

I'm sort of 'meh' on the pair of expansions. I love the concept art of both expansions, but in the end, it's 25 acres for 4 rides, and it's between 3 & 5 years away (minimum). And... that's really before the accountaneers get their pencil sharpeners revved up.

I almost half expect a 1A announcement for Toy Story in about 12 months where SlinkyDog's been scaled back down to an off-the-shelf Barnstormer type, and as the 'replacement', we'll get the ride hardware that Shanghai rejected, with landscaping that clones TSL.
It will be too late for Disney to change its mind by then. It will be too late for them to change their minds by Christmas.

jensenrick

They may well be disappointed, because unless these TWO are the next greatest achievements in theme park attractions in the history of mankind, it simply isn't enough to be excited about. Somehow I don't see the Slinky coaster and Alien Spaceship spin fitting that bill.

I despise anything Harry Potter-related, so I wouldn't set foot in that area if someone paid me to.

So the greatest achievements on theme park history, or it's meh? Ok then. Well on that note . . . (waves)

Matt7187

Is the 3rd track taking up that whole building? If so, that's a travesty

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom