Bob Iger at WDW now ... BoD to Follow?

PhotoDave219

Just reinforcing what Martin says.... Don't go taking this article as gospel.

A bunch of people seem to be making a few conclusions they shouldn't.

The only thing that I'm comfortable agreeing with is the budge number. At least 3B and most going to DHS.

Not sure where Indy came from.... Other than fanboi wishes

mahnamahna101

We have over 3x the market as you- we surrender! :rolleyes:
And it's going down every year, too. The point they're trying to make is that TDO sat on their laurels in terms of innovation for the 2010s. With the $2 billion spent on MM+, they could have invested $1 billion into better Wi-Fi, $500 million for Pixar and $500 million for Future World. If they had done that, DHS wouldn't need a $2-2.5 billion makeover (just a $1-1.5 billion one :p), and Epcot would have been relatively set other than a WoL replacement and maybe a new pavillion between Land/Seas.

Universal Orlando should see at least one of their parks pass DHS by 2017. Especially if Diagon's first full year drives USF past 9 million, and Kong gets IOA up to 8.8-9 million. By 2018, the MSHI overhaul, Fallon, a nighttime show for IOA, something JP/JW, F&F and Nintendo should either be finished or finishing up by 2019. DHS' big moneymaker (Star Wars Land) won't be done until October-December 2021. If DHS 'magically' does 10.5-11 million when there's only 7-8 attractions, I'd be shocked. There's some major attendance fudging if that's the case.

Firstly- I hope that the $3B doesn't include the 50th for MK- because that's a several hundred million dollar undertaking. Looking at DLP and DLs recent anniversarys, they got as a minimum- A new parade, new wishes/light show, space mountain update, Peter Pan update, IASW update, and BTM update amongst others. There really isn't a budget for a new ride also if the $3B is to go towards refurbs. That said- I really hope they do spend the money asap on space mountain in particular. That thing is a wreck!
If they're going to plus Peter Pan, they really need to attempt to increase hourly capacity. There's no need to update the ride experience if it's still going to be a 900/hr attraction. Even 1,100-1,300/hr would be a solid improvement. IASW, the mountains, and the PeopleMover all need some love IMO. I'd even say Pooh could use some AAs to replace the static figures.

I definitely think MK's 50th is separate, though. Even if DHS/Epcot weren't getting any investment, MK would get SOMETHING for the 50th. But I think they could do a Stitch replacement if they're smart with their money (not going to happen with TDO)

Secondly- 3 rides at Epcot seems ambitious as well. I'm hoping we get two. Because outside of imagination and Ellen, what else do they change?
But you are so right- does that park ever need it.
To be fair, Energy, Imagination and WoL are already standing, so construction costs wouldn't be as high. They could do all 3 with $500-600 million if they budget properly. I would be shocked if all 3 got fixed, though.

WoL - $300 million
Imagination - $200 million (Figment revamp, EO replacement)
Energy - $100 million

If NFL cost $425 million, $500-600 million for 3 pavillion overhauls is fairly reasonable, right?

I disagree. It is SO quick to build- you're talking 6 months. And it adds much needed ride capacity immediately. They need ride capacity now and that's the quickest way to get it. I think they'd be dumb to do anything differently first with their construction pace. If they put shovels in the ground now they could open it with TSMM's new track in a year.

Agreed... get some little things set up first (Mermaid/B&TB replacements, TSPL, TSMM 3rd track, flex theater on Sunset, reskin of HITSK playground, relocated Jedi Training Academy, Muppets/GMR updates) for 2016/2017, then open the rest of Pixar by 2018/2019, with Star Wars and a Fantasmic update done by 2021. No need to save it all until 2021.

With $2 billion+ set for DHS, TDO would be smart to get rid of all bottlenecks/blocked off expansion pads to allow for organic growth of DHS in the years to come (2021 and beyond)

Mike S

I disagree. It is SO quick to build- you're talking 6 months. And it adds much needed ride capacity immediately. They need ride capacity now and that's the quickest way to get it. I think they'd be dumb to do anything differently first with their construction pace. If they put shovels in the ground now they could open it with TSMM's new track in a year.
Knowing Disney they would take 6 months and stretch it to a year and a half.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Indy EMV in Orlando is every fans dream. I've heard nowt about that but doesn't mean it isn't - or is - happening.

The figure is slightly high for DHS. And also includes park infrastructure, roads, pavements, possible parking changes and the like.

The rest of the money is split on MK and Epcot projects.
Edit - I see @Lee explained this too.

Let's skip the EMV....how about this, an Indy ride that's more like Mystic Manor in the ride system and execution?

BrerJon

Toy Story Playland in Disneyland Paris took about 10 months to build, so that's probably what we'd be looking at.

Cesar R M

Yeah the article doesn't add up. 3 billion for a real star wars land, toy story playland and indy? Not sure if that's 3 billion.
Lets remember that It probably wont be only the attractions, they will have to retheme the whole thing. Starting from the Echo Lake.
So.. Rockword, a fake death star.. the probable mosley cantina..etc..
I see it as a more expensive project than Cars Land.

Cesar R M

If TSPL is truly coming to DHS and potentially any other rides that the whole family can ride, I REALLY hope that we lose Disney Junior. It's marketed at such a tiny portion of the audience and no one above the age of 5 or so actually even cares to go in.

Unless they would have plans to demo that building and do something major with Animation courtyard, maybe turn that back into a quick service?
Id rather see them move all the animation shows and M&G's to that building (more condensed). while they redo the whole animation area.

MerlinTheGoat

Let's skip the EMV....how about this, an Indy ride that's more like Mystic Manor in the ride system and execution?
The thing about EMV (besides being fun with a bit of a thrill) is that it also fits thematically with Indy, jeeps make a lot of sense with the franchise given that there are several scenes in the movies with cars and/or jeep vehicles. It also allows for a lot of different and dynamic terrain variation. Trackless seems to have an issue with slopes (i've heard slopes are either difficult or impossible with the current implementation of trackless), they're all flat so far. It could be interesting to see what they could design for a trackless Indy ride, but i'm not sure it's the best choice for the ride system.

For the record, I think a boat ride could work really well with Indy as well. Something using raft like vehicles similar to Jurassic Park at IoA or what was planned for Tiger River (though definitely no more off the shelf circular systems like Kali). There was also a patent some years ago which allowed the boats to "point" in certain directions towards scenes, I could also imagine they could create a sort of trackless variant of a boat ride as well (I think the Aquatopia at Disneysea uses some sort of trackless system). DHS is the only park at WDW currently that doesn't have a boat ride of any sort as well.

While I do think Mystic Manor is a fantastic ride, i'd still say Indy is better. I'd also say Indy makes more sense with at least a bit of a thrill to it. Doesn't have to be a big thrill by any means (and some calm parts are welcome in addition to the faster paced bits), but at least a little.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom