Tron 3 Dead? 2023 Updates

Shaman

Original Poster
Disney decided to put the brakes on development of “Tron 3,” the latest installment of the cult favorite that originated in the 1980s, because the studio could not find a place on its crowded slate as it looked all the way into 2018, according to an executive at the studio.

The team that had been coming together to make the film got word Friday that Hollywood’s top studio would not go ahead with the film in the foreseeable future, despite the franchise’s popularity and the fact that the 2010 version “Tron: Legacy” made nearly $400 million worldwide at the box office.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tron-3-cancelled-disney-1201508421/

Sped2424

From a business perspective it's a very stupid move. I am sure the chinese are not all to happy about this either considering one of their headliners for shanghai is based on the attraction.

NMBC1993

Well all-in-all this decision makes sense. Personally I thought the second movie was extremely boring (they kinda threw everything they had going for the film in the first 45 minutes of a two+ hour movie). Also, lets not forget Tron Legecy came out in 2010 (before Disney acquired both Marvel and Star Wars). During that time all they could rely on for live-action movies were PotC, Tron, and a hand full of uninspired films such as Old Dogs. Now with Marvel phase 37 and Star Wars: the never-ending saga....who needs Tron?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

If this has indeed been halted, then that is disappointing.
If they never end up making the picture...that will be a shame.
A LOT of fans were excited for the upcoming 'part 3'.

I'm a big Tron fan.
Loved the first film.
Really loved the second, particularly the visuals.
Really really bummed if there will be no further adventures on The Grid.
It is bad enough Disney killed off the animated series......but to pull the plug on 'Tron 3'...?
Dang it!

I heard talk that the reason it was cancelled was because of 'Tomorrowland's' perceived 'poor box office performance'...but that may well be just fan talk.
I really hope that is not the case, as that would indeed be a real shame.

216bruce

I enjoyed, but didn't get 'drooly' over both of the Tron films. This news is too bad though. The first film was groundbreaking for sure and the second was visually amazing. I would have seen a third and the story could have went on...I do agree with the idea that pre-acquisition of other IP's that this wouldn't have happened.
If somehow the Marvel uni starts collapsing, I could see this coming back. No idea remains dead forever and the company may revisit this. You never know.

Figments Friend

And it should not have been !

Disney is making a mistake here.

Some of us actually like films that are unique and 'different'.
Enough with the super-hero heavy flicks. It's getting old.
Obviously not with the standard movie-going public, but at some point i hope Disney reconsiders re-rezzing further 'Tron' adventures....in SOME form at least.

Uncle Lupe

Reads half of thread till he realizes it's two years old. :facepalm:

Is Tron 3 going to cross into the Chevrolet design mainframes? They must hunt down the rouge VW diesel program that is trying to spread his sabotage to other manufacturers.

I try not to read movie plots and spoilers.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Well with D+ anything is possible now. They could revive Tron: Uprising or create another animated series to continue the story. Or even create a live action series to expand the Tron world a la Mando....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well with D+ anything is possible now. They could revive Tron: Uprising or create another animated series to continue the story. Or even create a live action series to expand the Tron world a la Mando....
ElasticHideousChickadee-size_restricted.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom