Solar power farm coming to Disney

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow, did not realize that, thanks for the update. I researched the heck out of this a year or two ago when someone had asked me about them, and couldn't find a definite answer.

You would have thought someone would have said something... lol.
Better specifics were posted somewhere on these boards in the last year. I'm afraid I forget the exact date.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Wow, did not realize that, thanks for the update. I researched the heck out of this a year or two ago when someone had asked me about them, and couldn't find a definite answer.

You would have thought someone would have said something... lol.

No this is something entirely different.

In this case, Duke energy will be building a solar plant inside the RCID. Disney will turn around and then purchase the electricity generated at that plant from Duke.

It means That Duke is responsible for all the maintenance sends all the associated costs with a plant.

I'd like to see another one of these beat built in the animal kingdom area

ABQ

I have no idea where they plan to build this, outside of what's given in the article, however, for reference, here's an approximation of 20 acres.
20acre.jpg

Frankie The Beer

I have no idea where they plan to build this, outside of what's given in the article, however, for reference, here's an approximation of 20 acres.View attachment 94464

Ok, how much actual power can a solar plant that size actually produce? Nuclear power that size could probably power the whole resort, but solar? Hopefully this is more than just a nice "we're green" photo op.

Monorail_Red_77

Here's another possible location. I have a feeling there are many spots at this intersection where they could build it. However, according to current property records this location in red is not designated already as conservation area and it is pretty close to size already at 55 acres.

All of the area around this with the little tree graphics is designated conservation lands. I am sure though that those designations can be changed before your mickey ears hit the floor.

epcot intersect.jpg

ABQ

So it's roughly the size of the Epcot parking lot, wouldn't it have been so much better to build solar covered parking instead? Would be a neato, visible thing for all, like the roof of Energy and provide a true benefit to all parking there.
To answer @Frankie The Beer , I think I read that it takes a little more than 30 acres to power 1,000 homes. Now, the type of solar collection is a variable and how one equates 1,000 homes to anything in a resort is beyond me.

Monorail_Red_77

So it's roughly the size of the Epcot parking lot, wouldn't it have been so much better to build solar covered parking instead? Would be a neato, visible thing for all, like the roof of Energy and provide a true benefit to all parking there.
To answer @Frankie The Beer , I think I read that it takes a little more than 30 acres to power 1,000 homes. Now, the type of solar collection is a variable and how one equates 1,000 homes to anything in a resort is beyond me.

That would be nice. Cover all of the theme park parking lots with solar panels. It would give shade and would quadruple the power generation too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom