The gates of WDW

paul436

I made my first trip to the World in 2009 as an adult. One of the first things I noticed was that the gates were not that impressive.

disney_welcome-thumb.jpg

Especially after seeing everything WDW truly is, I guess I just expected more. Does anyone else feel that WDW could do better with the gates! I mean, they are the first things you see when you arrive.
I like this "throwback" kind of look.

WDWNooby

I have to say that when we went in 2009 our first and so far only trip, when I saw the "gates" I was overwhelmed with excitement. My granddaughter thought it was one of the best things she'd ever seen. We were on the DME so that made it especially fun for her.

I grew up in CA and remember the same feeling as we were on the freeway nearing the exit to Disneyland and you could see the Matterhorn. Oh my gosh what a feeling!

I agree that the Magic Kingdom signage looks a bit dated but for me, growing up when Disney was "new", it gives me a very sentimental feeling. Almost a feeling of home and takes me back to my "early years".

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Maybe with new Nextgen technology they could have everyone let them know what color road signs they would prefer. Then as you drive by with your RFID card/bracelet, the sign would change color to your liking. <heavy sarcasm>

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I am aware of what he was referring to. But it was also stated that Epcot did not have a gate. Hence, the gate.

It was my bad, I was actually trying to reply to the person who was questioning what were the Epcot tombstones. Wasn't trying to question your knowledge. :)

Not trying to be a hater, but I kinda think that they're gates. lol on the yeti idea. But seriously, what else do you want? I think they meet the standards. Glitter check, rhinestones check. And yes, the 80's or 70's was not the best, but I think they can't make the gates too impressive, or else the park would be a tremendous putdown!

Daniel Johnson

I would be more concerned with signage design and color scheme if I wasn't pulling the ebrake to miss the minivan that is always trolling through the area.
Forget the gates...make the DO NOT STOP signs bigger with more glitter and more lights. More than once I've given the "you're number one" finger to a stalled minivan there...

Bugz

You may have a point but when I am at that point I am so excited and relieved to finally be there I never thought about it , they probably think it's an element of surprise if you have never been there the gates seem to downplay the awesomeness of the Magic? Once you enter main street.

BJones82

The feeling they give us as we drive under them just knowing we are in the bubble for x time and nothing else matters is a great feeling.

That being said I do feel they are a little faded especially the Magic Kingdom one, but I would rather see that money put into other things such as Epcot (WoL pavilion anyone?)... Anyway it is a thought provoker lol...

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I like the gates, but I liked them better before they put that muted-periwinkle Cinderella Castle up on top of them...as if to suggest that Disney World only consisted of Magic Kingdom.

Rasvar

Heh. I remember when WDW first opened, all you had were basic brown signs telling you to tune to an am radio station as you drove up the only entrance at World Drive. There were some (in)famous traffic jams.
tumblr_mlqyvosZ0E1s5nzd6o1_400.gif

Goofyernmost

Didn't they just recently redo the MK sign? It was blue and now it's pink.
Yes, they did! I believe within the last year. I remember seeing pictures of it, I believe here in WDWmagic, of it transforming into the new color scheme. Leave it to the Disney fans to not be able to tell the difference between pastel colors and faded paint.

MinnieWaffles

Martin's video about WDW Transportation includes a look at the original MK toll plaza (and before that, a look at the pre-purple road signs)

Fast-forward to the 4:45 mark for the toll plaza (or just watch the whole thing) :)

-Rob

That is one of the best WDW videos I have ever watched. I love the Mickey heads and hands on some of the old road signs!

I don't mind the purple and red road signs, but they're so 80s.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

Maybe I'm biased having only seen them in my life, but I love the purple and red signs. They're different, and a way of letting you know the world you have entered is colorful, fun and unlike anything else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom