Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

The Mighty Tim

I thought from what I've read here (and elsewhere) that they'd be everywhere, and so on the short city break I've just come back from, I expected to see them everywhere.

In fact, I only saw two - and they were both at the same tourist attraction. (Sort of Disney related: the tourist attraction in question was the Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen).

sporadic

This is how it's done!! Now, that'd flat out clobber someone!
QuikPod_DSLRPOV_ULTRA.jpg

dstrawn9889

that isnt a selfie stick in the traditional sense... that is a monopod... and last pass into the kingdom my monopod went on everything.

NowInc

Which brings me to what I was saying a few posts ago about the possibility of the tripod/monopod policies changing as well.

dstrawn9889

they gave me the stink eye in mansion... but that was because my flash was raised(i had not changed to my indoor/museum settings)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We just had a small marathon in Louisville and one of the bike team EMT's (my sister's partner) got smacked in the face by one of these things as they were riding through the crowd. He got hit hard. The little twit that hit him laughed and said "My phone better not be broke!" and "Well, you got bandaids don't ya?" and tried walking away before the police that were handling the event and riding along side the EMT's grabbed her. She didn't get arrested, but they ripped her a new one and told her that she needs to keep the "potential weapon" stowed in large crowds. She walked away still giggling. THIS is the attitude we have to contend with and it is exactly why Disney will never be able to cease the use of these things at their parks. The people are entitled.
I would have made sure it was broke. What is she going to do? She assaulted that rider, and I would have pressed charges against her.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow. Such anger. More people get hit by strollers everyday in WDW than selfie-sticks. Why not ban them too?
You still here? Yes, such anger. Strollers may hit you in the ankle causing you to limp for a bit. I have never heard of a case where getting hit with a stroller has sent someone to a hospital. One of these can take your eye out FOREVER. WHY ARE YOU NOT GETTING IT?????? Oh that's right. You are careful with yours, so you should be able to use it. I have already told you, the idiot few WILL ruin it for you, and I for one, hope it comes sooner rather than later at Disney.

prberk

My how far we have come. I would still never use a selfie stick.
What happened to this?
"Hey, sir or ma'am, would you mind taking our picture for us?"
"Sure! This button?"
"Yes. Thank you."​

I get it. It's the "thank you." You won't have to say it... or even interact with anyone in your own little self-absorbed bubble.

Until you hit someone and have to say, "Oh, excuse me! I'm so sorry."

No, scratch that. No need to say "excuse me" when they shouldn't have gotten in the way of your selfie to begin with...

Last edited:

note2001

Intent shouldn't matter. You can still get a traffic ticket for an accident, even if there was no intent.
Have you ever tried to get help from a CM in general, never mind security. They're never where you need them to be. The only backup you have if assaulted in any manner is the video surveillance, and hopefully some other guests who don't mind taking a few moments out of their vacation to help.

I wiped out last summer on the ramp descending from the train platform (my poor choice of footwear, it was all on me)... everyone walked around me as I was unable to straighten up and be on with it.

G00fyDad

Intent shouldn't matter. You can still get a traffic ticket for an accident, even if there was no intent.

But there's a distinction there. Someone waving something around and accidentally striking someone is different than causing an automobile accident. If you inadvertently run into someone in a hallway and knock them down causing an injury should I arrest you? I am not defending selfie stick users. Just pointing out why she was not hauled in front of a judge. ;) In a perfect world they would shove the stick where the sun doesn't shine.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Which brings me to what I was saying a few posts ago about the possibility of the tripod/monopod policies changing as well.

Most tripods users are respectful of others so as not to make an obstruction of themselves. Far too many of the selfie stick users had absolutely no regard for anyone around them. As long as tripod users continue that respect for others and don't make an obstruction of themselves there should not be any issues.

NowInc

Most tripods users are respectful of others so as not to make an obstruction of themselves. Far too many of the selfie stick users had absolutely no regard for anyone around them. As long as tripod users continue that respect for others and don't make an obstruction of themselves there should not be any issues.

Agreed, however it only takes a few bad people to ruin it for everybody. The inevitable few who will think they are "beating the system" by bringing a mono/tripod and using it as a selfie stick will cause concern.

If its of any consolation however, the only things I am hearing in regards to a change in policy regarding tri/mono pods is where they can be used during parades/fireworks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom