West Side Parking Garage construction

mm121

I think that a lot of the West Side in general is going to appear gaudy after The Landing, Town Center and The Marketplace are all finished. There is something very 90s gaudy about how the West Side looks now. I wonder if store fronts will be altered at all on that side to mesh more with what they are doing with the rest of Disney Springs.
they repainted a couple of the stores, but other than that I doubt they'll do much. as the style of the new starbucks kinda reflects the stryle of whats already there, along with the style of the parking garage access building

Hey WDWtraveler,hows the I-4 overpass to the garage coming? Any pics on that

as of this past weekend the two sides were still being built up, no work yet on the actual bridge structure

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 13. The interior of the second floor entrance to the parking garage access building.

IMG_5044.JPG

A side view of the second parking garage access building between AMC Theatres and Splitsville. Noted on the other side, the building is painted beige.

IMG_5046.JPG

halltd

The picture could also be exposed poorly due to the light level at the end of the corridor being very bright. I'm sure it's perfectly fine in person.

What annoys me is that they put those louvers facing downwards. So, louvers meant to obstruct your view of the undesirable areas point your view directly to the undesirable areas. Someone did this on louvered doors in a department store changing room I saw once. Horrible. You could walk by the doors and see right into the people inside.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The picture could also be exposed poorly due to the light level at the end of the corridor being very bright. I'm sure it's perfectly fine in person.

What annoys me is that they put those louvers facing downwards. So, louvers meant to obstruct your view of the undesirable areas point your view directly to the undesirable areas. Someone did this on louvered doors in a department store changing room I saw once. Horrible. You could walk by the doors and see right into the people inside.

Pointing them down would help keep the rain out.

halltd

If it's raining straight down, the overhang will stop it from coming in. If it's blowing, the louvers aren't going to keep it out either way since blowing rain will still go through those louvers. To me, having that horrible view eliminated would be a higher level of show (ie: a problem that exists all the time being solved) than rain that doesn't happen very frequently.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If it's raining straight down, the overhang will stop it from coming in. If it's blowing, the louvers aren't going to keep it out either way since blowing rain will still go through those louvers. To me, having that horrible view eliminated would be a higher level of show (ie: a problem that exists all the time being solved) than rain that doesn't happen very frequently.

Having the lovuers down will make it much harder for the rain to get in then point them up. If they are up, anything that get's passed the overhang, which doesn't look very large here, will end up getting inside.

halltd

I realize this. My point still stands, though. Rain is infrequent especially compared to the view which exists all the time, day or night, rain or shine. Besides, it's an open-air parking garage. When it's raining, it WILL get wet inside around the edges no matter what.

WDWtraveler

If this helps......The louvers are very wide, about 5-6 inches. The photo can't really show how wide they are. The angle of the louvers and extra width will help significantly in keeping wind-blown rain out. It rains many afternoons in Orlando between June and October, so this will help. As for lighting, the photo was taken between two dark panels to keep people from entering or looking into this space, which made it darker. And yes, the lighting sconces do cast light onto the ceiling, to be reflected into the space. Both ends of this corridor will be very bright. We have seen the bright lights inside the parking garage, and this corridor opens into the access building which has numerous bright lights.

Adam N

The louvers are angled so far and the backstage area is so large that you won't be able to see much of it. The pointing down won't be a problem. Also it really isn't as dark - I poked my head in today as well haha

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The primary purpose of those shutter is the deflection of rain, which is a near daily occurrence for about three months of the year. While you are correct in that pointing them up would do more to obscure the view, it would also funnel the rain right into the walkway. It would look like a waterfall inside that hallway during your average daily June frog strangler.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom